View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Medical marijuana could save lives

slimvictor

Bluelight Crew
Medical marijuana could save lives
9:49 a.m. EST, February 1, 2010

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/opinion/readersrespond/bal-marijuanaletter0201,0,878863.story

My Brother died this past November, after a three-month illness in which he was neither diagnosed or treated for any specific disease.

He spent one week in a local hospital, four weeks at Johns Hopkins and didn't eat a square meal for three months. A team of the best doctors available came up empty handed regarding a diagnosis or treatment, so brother Dorsey eventually dwindled away and died.

It is a known fact that medical marijuana enhances the appetite and mood, but not one doctor was able to prescribe medical marijuana, which alone might have saved Dorsey's life. Without food and proper nutrition combined with a lack of any diagnosis for a viable treatment, my brother is no longer with us.

Let this be a wake-up call for everyone, including the medical field, that not every illness can be treated with a pill or a surgery.

This is the 21st century. Fourteen States have legalized medical marijuana. New Jersey just legalized it, the state can tax it, and the agricultural industry will benefit from it.

Now is the time to pressure our lawmakers to pass the bill being introduced by Dr./Del. Dan Morhaim to license marijuana dispensaries and authorize the state departments of agriculture and health to monitor the drug's production and distribution.

I truly believe Dorsey would be alive today if a doctor had been able to prescribed him medical marijuana. Please contact your legislators and tell them to support this bill.

Samuel Owings, Baltimore

This is the type of thing we need to get out there.
Marijuana is a plant given to us by mother nature.
It is ridiculous that anyone should tell us that we can't use it.
Dorsey Owings died because of such nonsense, according to his brother.
Free the plants NOW!

In the eight years since this letter to the editor was written, the number of medical marijuana states has grown to 30 plus the District of Columbia and the number of recreational marijuana states stands at nine plus the District of Columbia. It brings up good points but even the author's home state of Maryland has legalized medical MJ in the intervening years. Yes, I would agree that we still have a long way to go, but at the same time there has also been a shit ton of progress in the last eight years.