• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

Medicaid Questions (USA)

opiateman23

Bluelighter
I have a few questions....

I recieved a medicaid card today addressed to me.

it has my name in the left hand corner and my baby mommas name below mine.

so, if it has my name on it i can use it i can use it right?

second, how hard is it to find a GP and dentist who takes medicaid

thanks in advance...

If your name is on it I'm assuming you're covered but I advise you to take a greater interest in your own health and do your own paper work in the future. You should know for sure but I'm assuming you let your girlfriend handle all the paper work, correct?

As far as finding a doctor goes it is pretty easy. Just pull up all the family doctors in your local area on google and call around. They'll be happy to answer any questions you have over the phone. Once you find one that sounds like a good fit for you go in for a check up. You'll have to do all the paper work before seeing them but once you're on record any follow up visits will be quick and easy.

The dentist is going to be harder to find than the GP btw but very doable. Even if you didn't have medicaid it is possible to find a dentist that is understanding. For example I haven't had any form of medical insurance in over a decade but I do have a dentist that allows me to pay off any bills a little at a time. I ran up a $1,000+ bill for wisdom teeth extractions and paid it off over the course of 6 months. You just have to be up front with them when you go in. Most of them got into the business to help people so there are plenty of good ones out there that will work with you.

thanks for the info. no, i just applied for medicaid. my state expanded medicaid to cover low income individuals. so, my gf receives it also. i was told medicaid only covers extractions. one of my wisdom teeth that came through got cracked somehow and i need it pulled. i got some antibiotics and hydro 10's for the pain.

Medicaid was tricky for me because I was only eligible in Florida because my son was approved. They covered all expenses for my son: doctor and hospital co-pays, dental, prescriptions, rehab, court ordered drug tests and even the scamming rehab-high school and meals. It was different for me when I got sick and wanted to go to a doctor, I had a $668 monthly co-pay to meet before Medicaid kicked in for me. No way I could afford that being unemployed.

But if I went to the hospital and incurred a debt going over that amount, the fee was waived. I live in Michigan now and heard that Medicaid is changing here too for low income people. Do they have a website you can go to for clarification of your benefits? Your card should have a toll-free number on the back so you can call them for names of providers in your area.

Yeah here in my state we pretty much have universal healthcare. if your poor you get medicaid. Florida is a joke. if your at 138% of the poverty line you dget a medical card in states that expanded medicaid due to obamacare. we expanded it bck in 1996 under Clinton. anyway, i found a dentist, chiropractor, psych dr and gp who takes it. so, i have some appts next month. I have been dx'd with ptsd from military service and as such i am on benzos and w/o insurance they are expensive now i pay $$$ for 90 xanax 2mg.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok that's good you got some decent coverage opiateman! I'm gonna see if the Michigan system is a bit friendlier.