Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Media Release: Radical Overhaul to Ban Synthetic Drugs

CartoonHead

Bluelighter
Anyone's thoughts on whether this will have much of an effect on the RC scene? It's not really something I am a part of, but I am interested in whether this policy will really change anything - I thought most of the popular ones were already outlawed anyway.

Radical overhaul to ban synthetic drugs

Under new legislation to be introduced to Federal Parliament, all psychoactive substances such as synthetic drugs will be prohibited unless importers can prove they have a legitimate use.

The radical overhaul closes a loophole that currently allows people to deliberately avoid prosecution by slightly changing the chemical structure of a banned substance so it can be legally imported into our country.
Synthetic drugs are often marketed as safe and credible alternatives to illicit drugs yet, tragically we have learned too many times through death or injury to people—especially young people—that this is not the case and they are extremely dangerous.

There's nothing synthetic about the damage these drugs cause. They are not harmless, they are not safe, they have deadly consequences.
The Coalition Government is taking action to shutdown the market and undermine those who seek to profit from this misery in Australia.
Existing criminal laws ban illicit drugs based on their chemical structure. However, the rate at which new versions of synthetic drugs appear makes it difficult for our laws to keep up.

Rather than law enforcement having to prove a synthetic drug is illegal, the burden will be placed on the person importing it to prove that it is legal and has a legitimate use.
This means governments and law enforcement are not trying to play catch up every time a 'new' synthetic drug is produced.

The new legislation will target psychoactive drugs marketed as 'legal' alternatives to illicit drugs like ecstasy, LSD or cannabis.
Importantly, medicines and other chemicals that are imported for proper legitimate use are already certified by relevant authorities—such as the Therapeutic Goods Association. Existing arrangements will continue to apply to these substances.

The ban will not replace existing illicit drug offences. These will continue to be the primary way we deal with illicit drugs and the people who try to import them.
The new ban will help stop synthetic drugs from being presented as 'legal' and governments and law enforcement agencies will no longer be trying to play catch up every time a drug with a new chemical structure is produced.

source: http://www.ministerjustice.gov.au/M...y2014-RadicalOverhaulToBanSyntheticDrugs.aspx http://www.ministerjustice.gov.au/M...y2014-RadicalOverhaulToBanSyntheticDrugs.aspx

Most of the OTC RC's are shit anyway, anyone who buys these legal highs will most likely switch to buying illegal ones such as MDMA, LSD. The people who smoke synthetic pot to avoid detection at work will possibly risk importing personal quantities.

Once again the Government makes criminals out of ordinary people.

Politicians are so out of touch with reality I think its them thats hallucinating and not us

Most of the OTC RC's are shit anyway, anyone who buys these legal highs will most likely switch to buying illegal ones such as MDMA, LSD. The people who smoke synthetic pot to avoid detection at work will possibly risk importing personal quantities.

Once again the Government makes criminals out of ordinary people.

Politicians are so out of touch with reality I think its them thats hallucinating and not us

Good post

The whole hyperbolic tone of this release gives me the shits, it's something I would expect from a tabloid paper not from a official govt document .

"Rather than law enforcement having to prove a synthetic drug is illegal, the burden will be placed on the person importing it to prove that it is legal and has a legitimate use."

I mean why should LE or the government have to "prove" somethings illegal, it's just such a burden to justify these things. Better just to make a law that assumes everything is illegal and assume everyone is committing a crime.

I couldn't care less about RCs but this is bad legislature through and through.

The title Radical overhaul to ban synthetic drugs is both extravagant and sensational. Either my interpretation of a synthetic drug is too literal or unorthodox, and is not congruent with Australia's government's definition or there is a disparity between their definition and the more intuitive and conventional one I use. But it seems, to the chemistry neophyte like me, logically valid to define the term synthetic drug thus:

a compound mostly or entirely synthesized by man with precursors naturally-derived or otherwise and does not occur in nature or as a precursor, intermediary, or final result of any known biosynthetic processes (to wit, LSD, MDMA, PCP).

Rather than there being a soi-disant "radical overhaul" of synthetic drug legislation, there is instead —insofar as the excerpt isn't just bravado or political wheedling—a "radical overhaul" of novel drugs that are the product of minute molecular changes and alterations to preexisting drugs for the purpose of circumventing drug laws. However, envisage a truly novel compound—not just some tweaked form of another drug—that is as molecularly dissimilar and incomparable to any hitherto existing compound as is sufficient to preclude it being called a derivative or analogue of some other compound. In the way that cocaine and ketamine are sufficiently dissimilar in molecular structure as to render arguments of one being a derivative of the other asinine and preposterous.

In this case, the new "radical" legislature could not be applicable and thus the drug would require the use of many meticulously conducted and laborious scientific studies to collect enough data or evidence for its being banned.I don't know if my objection is well-taken and valid, as I'm not an expert on Australia's law nor am I exactly a chemistry maven. The excerpt and its malapropros title just seems to have been constructed with the intent of seeming more substantive and consequential than reality allows it to be. And so I felt an urge to comment on it.

Therefore, this "radical overhaul" doesn't seem to bode well for the Shulgin and Nichols epigones who, since lacking the intelligence and expertise of their idols, can only modify the structures of existing drugs and lack the capacity to actually make something original and novel. But, what of those laudable few, say, David Nichols, the late Alexander Shulgin, and the late Albert Hoffmann who can synthesize unknown compounds and not just infinite dizygotic twins, so to say, of compounds (each roughly the same, but distinguishable)?

For those three and the presumably many more others tantamount in talent, the law (that is, the law; not a law, or this law or that law, etc., but laws as they fundamentally all are) is ill-equipped to regulate their compounds without many thousands of dollars and extraordinary amounts of time to meticulously analyze and study the compound for enough evidence to ascertain and justify its appropriate scheduling and legal status.

^Despite the loquacious nature of your post you seem to have missed the point, there are already laws in place to deal with analogues and derivatives of existing drugs that cover such thing as esters of, substitutions, stereoisomers, salts of already illegal substances.
Likely this new legislature will be similar to whats been rolled out in NZ and other countries which is a "catch all" clause that covers any psychoactive substance, vague terms such as "similar to" would mean that the substance would be illegal because it could resemble the effect, chemical structure or appearance of another drug.
As mentioned in the release there wouldn't have to be thousands of $ spent by Govt to analyze these drugs since the onus is on the individual to prove it's legitimacy. Basically you would have to prove it doesn't have any psychoactive activity to avoid charges.

Today it's research chems, tomorrow who knows? This law sets up a pretty slippery slope for regulation on everything imaginable. Seems like Australia is headed toward being more like the us as far as the nanny state is concerned anyways...

"as synthetic drugs will be prohibited unless importers can prove they have a legitimate use."

Since when was getting high not a legitimate use?

Not that it really matters - I suspect this ban will be as effective as the ban on heroin, cocaine, cannabis, etc.

"as synthetic drugs will be prohibited unless importers can prove they have a legitimate use."

Since when was getting high not a legitimate use?

Not that it really matters - I suspect this ban will be as effective as the ban on heroin, cocaine, cannabis, etc.

Doesnt matter that the outcome will not stop supply, the government needs to be seen to be doing "something" to appease Australia's majority voting backwards thinking citizens who fall for the outdated US propaganda.

We as a country obviously are not ready to think outside the square and we will continue to lose our rights, one vote at a time.