• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

ME/CFS, Chronic fatigue syndrome, neurology overview:

JohnBoy2000

Bluelighter
Just watching a nice over view of this condition,

Multiple causes but essentially dysfunction of the nervous system, "like the plug has been pulled on your body".

I've read recovery stories, but modern medicine has yet to establish any meaningful intervention or genuine understanding of it's cause and nature.

Thank you for posting this. It was perfect timing too. I was going to post about my depression seriously. Omg and this is something that could so much be helpful in helping someone and or others for a better quality of life. Kind of amazing how much support you all are for radiating help and awareness into such frequencies for those in need so much to know. How do you guys do this ! I can't believe I am fortunate enough to experience this in a lifetime. But my sentence did get cut off so I just added to this. I guess I need to start figuring what my fatigue is caused from real quick here before I dead.

Just saying, I'm aware of someone irl who has had amazing results from LDN treatment (Low Dose Naltrexone) for Fibromyalgia, so a similar ballpark to CFS etc

I've got no further info, but it's helped the person in a big way after years of trying loads of other things to no avail

Thank you for posting this. It was perfect timing too. I was going to post about my depression seriously. Omg and this is something that could so much be helpful in helping someone and or others for a better quality of life. Kind of amazing how much support you all are for radiating help and awareness into such frequencies for those in need so much to know. How do you guys do this ! I can't believe I am fortunate enough to experience this in a lifetime. But my sentence did get cut off so I just added to this. I guess I need to start figuring what my fatigue is caused from real quick here before I dead.

Still in the process of understanding this myself.

- Thus far as I understand, "excitation", mood wise, is mediated through potency of action potentials (electrical spikes) in our neurons/nervous-system.

Thus, in pursuing "excitation" in life, a positive future, relationships, human interaction, intimacy (a poorly understood source of excitation, perhaps the primary one), we're stimulating a healthy and functional nervous system (our physiological "battery pack"), thus directly alleviating fatigue and depression (depression being lowered neural spikes, same cause of fatigue).

However, as one of the primary sources of excitation - intimacy - relationships etc., is so poorly explored and understood (due to being "taboo" in any respects), an effective intervention to enhance our relationship "performance" has not yet been established.

In terms of cases I've read and heard of those who have remedied their CFS, it has often been in relation to a "personality" transformation (by way of drug-therapy/cognitive-intervention);

As personality mediates how we experience intimacy and relationships, it therefore directly implicates our "excitatory" potential, thus improvement in this capacity = increase in nervous system performance = alleviation of chronic fatigue.

Still in the process of understanding this myself.

- Thus far as I understand, "excitation", mood wise, is mediated through potency of action potentials (electrical spikes) in our neurons/nervous-system.

Thus, in pursuing "excitation" in life, a positive future, relationships, human interaction, intimacy (a poorly understood source of excitation, perhaps the primary one), we're stimulating a healthy and functional nervous system (our physiological "battery pack"), thus directly alleviating fatigue and depression (depression being lowered neural spikes, same cause of fatigue).

However, as one of the primary sources of excitation - intimacy - relationships etc., is so poorly explored and understood (due to being "taboo" in any respects), an effective intervention to enhance our relationship "performance" has not yet been established.

In terms of cases I've read and heard of those who have remedied their CFS, it has often been in relation to a "personality" transformation (by way of drug-therapy/cognitive-intervention);

As personality mediates how we experience intimacy and relationships, it therefore directly implicates our "excitatory" potential, thus improvement in this capacity = increase in nervous system performance = alleviation of chronic fatigue.
Oh this can help. I promise you. And thank you so much. <3

Just saying, I'm aware of someone irl who has had amazing results from LDN treatment (Low Dose Naltrexone) for Fibromyalgia, so a similar ballpark to CFS etc

I've got no further info, but it's helped the person in a big way after years of trying loads of other things to no avail

Fibromyalgia associated physical pain?

Or fatigue?

Naltexone being an opioid partial agonist would seem to me to regulate pain, more so that lethargy and fatigue.... ?

Fibromyalgia associated physical pain?

Or fatigue?

Naltexone being an opioid partial agonist would seem to me to regulate pain, more so that lethargy and fatigue.... ?
Person in question has felt more physically able than in years - activities now at last partially possible that used to totally wipe them out energy-wise - so yeah it's helped their fatigue for sure

They've been on it for around 2 months now iirc, and it's being seriously looked at as an off-label treatment for FM here in the UK

Actually naltrexone is described as a full opioid antagonist, so does that mean in theory it would inhibit.... pain inhibition?

Anyone more well informed on its pharmacodynamic properties?

Person in question has felt more physically able than in years - activities now at last partially possible that used to totally wipe them out energy-wise - so yeah it's helped their fatigue for sure

And it alleviated lethargy?

Opioids obviously make you lazy/drowsy; it'd hardly be related to dysfunctional opioid activity regulation, alleviating fatigue by blocking this?

Any NS&P learned minds have thoughts on this?

Just watching a nice over view of this condition,

Multiple causes but essentially dysfunction of the nervous system, "like the plug has been pulled on your body".

I've read recovery stories, but modern medicine has yet to establish any meaningful intervention or genuine understanding of it's cause and nature.

I am not through with the video yet. Half way through so far and it is good to know this can be studied and also something can be done to help.

Also helps me the realize the importance of keeping inflammation in check and under control and the importance of staying healthy by trying to prevent inflammation or trying to help alleviate the conditions that inflammation can cause for those that are suffering from conditions.

Thank you for this documentary to give this an awareness and a voice.

I hope people suffering can get some relief by getting as much help as they can.

Continuing exploring this.

It's essentially a neural condition, and it's possible that as with other neural ailments, restoration of compromised neual-function will cause alleviation of symptoms.

On some level perhaps it's comparable to other neural dysfunctional conditions (though arguably not nearly as severe) such as,
- locked-in syndrome
- encephalitis lethergica

- dysfunction associated with stroke.

It may be beneficial to explore them additionally as contrast.

In doing so, to illustrate and even clarify it for myself, I like to use popularized clips that do so in a simple and straight forward manner:

- When a part of the brain is damaged, neural death, those neurons don't recover.

- Stimulation of new neural growth must be caused.

Last edited:
Locked in syndrome

ZJIRa0I.png

(though as I understand it this linked case, of a slightly milder form than "fully locked in" syndrome).

A case report outlining a recovery from the condition, and most specifically, the means of recovery.

Which as I interpret it largely/essentially took the form of cognitive-enhancement, self rehabilitation with assistance using a communication tool in a personalize computer which facilitated development of further self-awareness.

Could this be interpreted as neural stimulation?

- But as the clip outlines, it was a holistic-nurse (of all medical practitioners) who essentially sensed his "vibe", sensed the electromagnetic pulsation of active neural activity beneath his statue'esque exterior - realizing there was a cognitive, self aware, sentient person trapped inside the neurologically frozen body;

Subsequently stimulating and encouraging his neural activity, his physiological state of being locked began to ease as his neural function returned (this is the mechanism I'm assuming took affect).

That sensory/neurological stimulation, as with the former B.C.S. clip, took the form of human-to-human interaction

i.e. emotional interaction = optimal sensory stimulation = neural growth. Emotion nourishes neurons?

Encephalitis Lethargica.

Thought to be caused by an autoimmune response.

Of which thought most likely to be caused by an Enterovirus (intestinal contraction).

Deficit of adequate dopamine transmission as per parkinsonian symptoms of muscular dystonia (loss of movement control), extremely exacerbated to the point of paralysis.

BUT, they remain cognitively responsive... to certain stimuli;

As per,

Conventional treatment to this condition has taken the form of addressing the immune response, symptom specific remediation and steroid treatment for muscular symptoms is noted as yielding benefit.

Obviously "Awakening's" (the documentary-of-sorts the clip is borrowed from) illustrated conventional Parkinsons treatment of dopamine precursor compound administration "L-Dopa" as rendering a profound, though short lived improvement.

Last edited:
So we see in all three cases, the use of cognitive stimuli to assist in activation/restoration of neural function.

As per "Awakenings", the nature said cognitive stimuli take.

So, we can clearly see the characters functionality is limited specifically by some kind of cognitive blockade.

When the Dr identifies an intervention to reinstate a sense of cognitive "flow", her functionality assumes the accordant restoration.

Actually naltrexone is described as a full opioid antagonist, so does that mean in theory it would inhibit.... pain inhibition?

The immunological effects of naltrexone are likely due to blockade of toll like receptors. These are on immune cells and typically sense either pathogen derived molecules (LPS, bacterial and viral DNA/RNA, other bacterial surface proteins) or cell damage derived molecules (free cellular DNA, free fibrinogen, heat shock proteins). Specific subtypes of toll like receptors are specific for different targets.

Stimulation of these receptors marshalls immune activation, and diseases of innapropriate immune activation can benefit from inhibition of these pathways.

Aspects of opioid withdrawal and opioid induced hyperalgesia are likely due to dysregulation of toll like receptors secondary to opioid administration.

The immunological effects of naltrexone are likely due to blockade of toll like receptors. These are on immune cells and typically sense either pathogen derived molecules (LPS, bacterial and viral DNA/RNA, other bacterial surface proteins) or cell damage derived molecules (free cellular DNA, free fibrinogen, heat shock proteins). Specific subtypes of toll like receptors are specific for different targets.

Stimulation of these receptors marshalls immune activation, and diseases of innapropriate immune activation can benefit from inhibition of these pathways.

Aspects of opioid withdrawal and opioid induced hyperalgesia are likely due to dysregulation of toll like receptors secondary to opioid administration.

There's an entire wiki page dedicated to these, oddly I can't recall them being mentioned in conventional pharmacology books.

Haven't read through their profile but I'm assuming activation of an immune response is what potentially caused chronic-fatigue in the former posters description;

Thus blocking these alleviated a (perhaps incorrectly triggered) immune response, alleviating the associated fatigue?

Pffff, just goes to show how potentially diverse cause of sustained-physiological-fatigue potentially are.

My sister-in-law suffers with symptoms such as these. About two years ago I read a journal article in which the researchers noted that sufferers had significantly different levels of manganese in their blood. A lot less if memory serves. So they were able to tacitly suggest that their is a specific diagnostic test which (again, from memory) involved the conductivity of a suffers blood. Now blood carries many electrolytes and so I'm not entirely clear HOW conductivity could be used, but as I say, I read this quite some time ago.

I E-mailed the citation to her and left it at that. It was just one article and so I don't know if others went on to confirm or indeed reject the initial work.