• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

MDPV completely protects against the neurotoxic effects of methamphetamine

Interesting said:

But overall, antioxidants really aren't the end-all-be-all of reducing oxidative stress. You should instead be focusing on reducing factors which cause that stress, i.e. Reducing simple sugar intake, reducing hyperthermia (acetaminophen before MDMA reduces hyperthermia-associated neurotoxicity, for example), ensuring adequate sleep, and/or taking some of the unusual routes towards reducing glutamatergic toxicity, etc.
This guy knows it.
but then again vitamin c is the shit, oh yeah im a holland and barret sales rep

Most studies on pro-oxidative effects of E, C, CoQ10, ALA, Melatonin etc are done in vitro. In vivo the effects don't seem to manifest in the expected way, hinting at the complexity of the issue. Context specificity seems to be crucial.

To take one example, consider E and C. E is assumed to be capable of turning pro-oxidative fairly easily, while C is mostly antioxidative except in particular in vitro circumstances. However when you combine the two, as would happen in vivo, you find that C appears to protect E from turning pro-oxidant by acting as a co-antioxidant, thus demonstrating a synergistic effect. See for instance:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10969031

For research on the idea that context is crucial, take a look at:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26236096

Or also:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25060102

As for cancer, most research is suggesting that since cells utilise oxidation to kill malignant cells, excessive antioxidants are logically a bad choice. But in acute circumscribed situations, such as meth binges, antioxidants are more than likely to have utility, as the overwhelming bulk of papers which have studied using them suggest.
its good info but doesnt make it easier to draw conclusions with regards to mdma

Last edited:
Well, about antioxidants I stumbled about emoxypine, which is said to raise dopamine levels through an unknown mechanism. This is the only drug I know so far that impressively reduced subjectively felt dopamine depletion from methyl- and isopropylphenidate (with 125mg taken at morning & night and an additional pill with every phenidate dose). I've used only dosages in the therapeutic range so I can't tell about recreative ones but thought it's worth mentioning.

Anybody knows more about the mechanisms of emoxypine? Is it possible that it somehow directly counteracts dopamine oxidation, thus slower DA metabolism (how much of DA gets actually oxidized?), lessened crash and oxidative stress providing a faster and easier recovery time?

We can only do some extreme speculation on this dude, also sero is implicated in mdma induced damage, which leads to hyperthermia, remove that and damage is gone, HOWEVER returns with chronic dosing.

Tbh, carvedilol which abolishes hyperthermia in rodents, and adaptogens to limit damage of the massive influx of cortisol are one of the few compounds that might help, carvedilol shouldnt impair the high much, atleast it didnt for methylene.

As an aside we know that polydrug use is a big factor in mdma induced damage, do we know wheter weed has any effect on for example some antioxidant systems in the brain such as ceisteine? it upregulates 5ht2a does weed use increase mdma related hyperthermia?