• MDMA &
    Empathogenic
    Drugs

Welcome Guest!
  • MDMA Moderators:

MDMA with depersonalization disorder?

Noken

Greenlighter
Straight-up; school is almost over! Thus, there are festivals, schoolies and clubs I am going to be attending once i'm 18 (next week). In the past, I have dealt with a mental disorder titled "depersonalization" or "derealization" after smoking marijuana. To sum the disorder up; it makes you feel disconnected from the world and your perception of the world appears to be 2D and you feel as if you're 'nothing'.

However, I want to take MDMA at these upcoming events - however - I'm afraid the disorder will reappear.

Has anyone had this disorder from marijuana and not from MDMA? Should I take MDMA?

MDMA can cause depersonalization yes, but usually only if you abuse it or disregard the 'rules' in some way. However since everyone is different I would be careful. Avoid smoking weed during your roll if that triggers it for you, keep your dose lower than average in the beginning to get a feel for how you are affected by it (80mg-90mg should be plenty for your first time if you have good product) and most importantly test your drugs, this is really important if you want to avoid problems

There is always going to be a possibility that taking MDMA will trigger it, you can't avoid that so if you can't live with that, however small the chance of it happening might be, don't do MDMA. Drug use comes with risks - though you can limit them to a certain degree - so if you don't want that you should leave the drugs alone

In my case, MDMA is the only drug that really makes me feel like myself...., How strong is your DP/DR, chronic 24/7?

Noken, you should know that there is quite a large group of people on this board that got DP/DR from using (not abusing) MDMA. Quite a large number of us got it after using MDMA only one time.

Since you are straight up asking if you should take it, I'll throw in my 2 cents and go for a definitive no. You shouldn't take it given your history with dissociative issues.

Sure, my advice wont be that he shoudl treat himself now. But in my case which I think is somethink PTSD like (with extreme dissociative symptoms) , its almost an instant relief without the antidepressiva I take, which are absolutely useless poison...Weed makes my DP/DR waaay waay worse, including anxiety, etc.

As far as I understood, you had DP in the past, but dont have it anymore? Was it really drug induced and how did you get rid of it?

I'd say that it's not impossible, but highly unlikely, that MDMA will worsen your DP/DR. I'd say it's more likely that the experience would alleviate any symptoms followed by a smooth afterglow, as is the norm for most first-time users. Just make sure you're taking tested MDMA in reasonable doses (100-150mg).

i've had dr/dp from weed too (for over a year after cessation of use) and i was completely fine with mdma. if anything, then the dr/dp would temporarily be slighly better the day after rolling.

mdma can lead to dp for some people (as one symptom of those rare 'long term comedowns'), but it seems to be by a completely unrelated mechanism.

i have a strong suspicion that there are multiple conditions that are clumped together under the umbrella term derealisation. what you write (with the world appearing to be 2d) reminds me strongly of my own experience after smoking cannabis. it's like there is no real world but just a projection on a flat surface (some distance away from "you"). on the other hand the descriptions you sometimes read from people who got dr from psychedelics (and also what the psychiatrist i had been to told me) are more like the objects in the world seem unreal and "translucent" as if you could wave your hand through them...

Last edited:
MDMA triggered a 9 month spell of DP/DR for me. I am fine now, and still take MDMA, but it was not a fun experience.

With the benefit of hindsight, I do not think the MDMA caused the DP/DR, rather it was the catalyst to throw me over the edge.

Should I take MDMA?

I think really you should be answering this question yourself. However, on the basis you are asking I can only assume there is a sense of uncertainty, reading between the lines you sense an element of risk.

You are effectively saying should I take this risk?

In my opinion if you have already had a dose of drug induced DP/DR which I assume from my own experience was pretty unpleasant then if it were me i would not take the risk. however, I am not you and I believe we are all free to make our own personal choices.

Will MDMA trigger DP/DR. Likely no but not impossible.

Will drug A vs Drug B be more likely to trigger DP/DR? we can all speculate but no one really knows. There are so many variables.

In the end I think this will fall down to what your gut instinct tells you. only you will have that feeling..

Good luck what ever you choose.

DP/DR is a strange beast. I got it 3 or 4 time in my life, after cannabis or salvia consumption. Each case resolved after a 3-4 month period.
The things is that you can't predict if it will return or not, and you probably can't predict if the next time you have it it will be permanent or not... I continue to smoke cannabis, do shrooms, lsd, and various drugs without problem, but it's mainly a matter of luck or something, perhaps one day after a strong trip Ill wake up dissociated. If you really fear a DP comeback, best is to not take MDMA.
Not to mention that after the first time I got a 4 month episode of DP (from salvia), I didn't took drugs for at least 3 years, I was scared.

DP/DR is a strange beast. I got it 3 or 4 time in my life, after cannabis or salvia consumption. Each case resolved after a 3-4 month period.
The things is that you can't predict if it will return or not, and you probably can't predict if the next time you have it it will be permanent or not... I continue to smoke cannabis, do shrooms, lsd, and various drugs without problem

that's interesting. for me dissociatives often induce comparatively mild symptoms for a short amount of time, but smoking one puff of a joint will always leave me with dr/dp for about week - perfectly reproducible.
anything else doesn't cause dr/dp at all.

Same here : one hit salvia = 4 month dp/dr. For cannabis it's much more hazardous, in fact it's now 3 or 4 years I smoke without getting dp. Never got any dp/dr from other drugs