Find Tagged Reports by Substance
    Substance Category
    Specific Substance
    Find Reports
  • Trip Reports Moderator: Xorkoth

MDMA - The horror story of my first psychotic break

lotekhifi

Greenlighter
So I thought for my first post I'd offer a story of what I believe to be a psychotic episode triggered by MDMA toxicity. I've written it as prose, but I assure you that it's truly how I remember it, so here it is: the one time I came face to face with my own broken psyche. It took some time to recover afterwards, and I spent some time going through the symptoms likened to the aftermath of SS - brain zaps and a truly shaken consciousness.

It began at a festival. Stupidly, we dosed 12 fairly strong pills over 2 days, and a couple mg of MDMA over the course of the following day - all interspersed by a couple hours of sleep, and all in the blazing hot Spanish sun. By the end I knew that we'd gone over the top, fully aware of that strange feeling of a brain completely depleted of chemicals, being prodded to no avail. Still, after getting home I was shocked by how well my mind bounced back afterwards. I experienced a fairly mild come down, slept a couple hours, and felt somewhat normal, if a bit hazy. The next day, we ran an after party for the festival, got absolutely trashed on alcohol and cocaine, mustered the hangover and proceeded with our lives, to the tune of "how the fuck did we just get away with that?".

2 days later, I'm in a beautiful open-air bar with a group of friends, laughing and casually drinking when suddenly, it hits me like a brick. I feel sick to my stomach; that writhing feeling that's over and above normal nausea, and I start feeling the sharp onset of a severe migraine. My vision starts blurring, and I start having mild hallucinations. My friend's faces warp - however, there was no visual element to it. It was as if my mind was telling me their faces were twisting demonically, without the slight comfort of visual cues to confirm that it was just a basic hallucination. I immediately excused myself and ran to my car. I just about managed to get home without stopping to be sick. This was a full 3 days after my last dose of MDMA or anything mind-altering, and 42 straight hours of complete and utter lucidity, so it caught me completely off guard. I immediately ran to the safety of my bedroom.

I opened up my cupboard and bedroom doors and lay under my covers with the lights on, completely consumed with fear. I was tormented by thought of ghosts and demons and murderers; I was a helpless child, lying awake in the hot night. Just 1 hour earlier, I was smiling and laughing with my friends - and here I was, mind shattered into fragments. I woke up my parents and asked for an ambien - I told them that I was having horrific nightmares and they could see I was physically reflecting my state of mind. They knew what was happening and told me to wake them up if everything became too intense. I lay in my bed with the lights on, shaking until sleep finally took over.

I've suffered from sleep paralysis since I was a young child, so when I woke up in the dark, unable to move, I knew what was going on. Standard procedure. Breathe. It'll all be over soon. Nothing overly strange has ever occurred during these episodes - I usually just lay on my bed unable to move for a minute or two and then wake up - so I've learnt not to panic. I started feeling the slight spark of relief of it slowly lifting, when suddenly a hand grabbed my foot and threw me across the room into my door. I struggled, completely unable to fight back, being thrown about the room by this invisible force before finally waking up in a cold sweat, lights on. I'd woken up, it was just a dream. I was absolutely horrified; not even sleep would save me from this terror.

I ran out into the living room to wake up my parents. Of course they would know what to do - as always, their reason would provide a sanctuary for my skewed mind. Their bedroom door was the light through the darkness. I hammered it with my fist in a cold sweat. My father answered, and assured me that everything would be okay, and the warmth and light immediately flowed back into my periphery. I pulled out a knife and disemboweled him. I remember it in clear detail; I couldn't stop myself.

Again, I woke up in my bed - sweat dripping down my temples, lights on. This time I was definitely awake. It was hard to tell through the psychosis, but everything seemed lucid. I remembered my dream. What if it had actually occurred? What if through this thick smog of dementia I had actually murdered my father and it wasn't just a dream, or my mind was so warped that I had done it subconsciously - a merciless sleepwalker? I knew what would happen when I peered out of my room. I would find my parents laying there, murdered by my hand, and my twisted husk of a mind would be hauled off to jail. And for what? A little bit of dancing in the desert?

The whole scenario played through my head thousands of times as I sat up in bed. Finally, I pulled it together, and gathered the courage to go check what had happened. I ventured out into the dark living room, shielding my view from the glass sliding door that always produced such unimaginable horrors when I was a kid. The light was strange. Dusty, almost. My parent's bedroom door slowly opened. My father stepped out. Pure relief enveloped me entirely; that blistering wave of complete and utter disbelief at how incredibly warped one's mind can become as it crashes back down to sanity. A half sigh, half chuckle forced it's way out of my mouth. Of course I hadn't got insane and murdered my parents.

He looked down at me and asked if everything was okay. Of course it was. Everything was fine. And then I slit my father's throat. I wasn't fighting a demonic presence that was forcing my hand to his throat. I was smiling and laughing.

I woke up again. Despair. I was trapped. This loop would continue forever. Through my own doing, I had broken my mind and was forced to spend an infinite existence enacting the worst scenario imaginable. What's more - doubtless - at one point I would actually wake up, and through the gloom forget about reality, reactively continue the loop, and then fall back into my dream state, so I had also murdered my parents on the real plane of existence, as well as this dream one.

The loops continued. They became more and more unreal; at one point I was floating through my living room with my dog, in the dusty light. But they always ended in the same way.

Edit: Just by the way, I don't mean to undermine any of the stories on here which I'm sure do involve incredibly serious and lasting psychotic episodes. A bit of hyperbole for the sake of story-telling is flushed in there, but the experience is all real and unembellished.

Last edited:
That sounds awful, although not too dissimilar to exaggerated sleep paralysis, back into a dream state (recalling your previous inability to move).

I've had Sleep paralysis after a festival weekend of MDMA binging, was not nice, never had it before as well but I knew about it, happened 3 times in about 10 minutes, after that I just gave up as I was too frightened, not nice at all.

I have no experience with it myself, but this reminds me a little bit of Shulgin's wife's experience, which she wrote about in TIHKAL, p.195 "The lioness and the Secret Place." Maybe you could read this and compare ?

And not that I'm a psychiatrist or something, but it sounds like you have a father issue ? Like almost everyone else in our society, without doubt. I learned alot about my relation to my father (and mother, and grandparents, for that matter) watching Twin Peaks on LSD/Mushrooms, but I imagine this kind of experience is far away for you now.

Dude i remember these days, when i was using MDMA semi regularly. Out of no where with friends id get hit with impending doom, where i felt everything was going wrong (anxiety attack). Fuck that man, if i were you i would NEVER roll again. Not even 1 pill, even though this was caused by your huge doses of MDMA why even bother with any at all if it can cause this damage. I remember there would be times where i would have these fucked up thoughts as well, like i would walk through the living room. See a knife on the table and imagine what if i were to take this and stab one of my parents or my sister. Even though that would be the worst possible thing imaginable, i had these messed up thoughts many times. I hope you come out okay man, no more hard chemicals for you.

Oh yeah, stupid high doses of MDMA i am very familiar with being silly and young before BL. It can cause the scariest episodes and psychosis, sleep paralysis etc i have ever experienced. I think its very much underestimated in its power to brain rape you. And then theres the years of anxiety issues as icing on the cake, grrr.

Hope you are better now

I've been experiencing a similar phenomena from time to time in my dreams, but not from any damage from heavy MDMA use.

However having had far less intense but similar experiences, I can't imagine how fucking horrific that must have been. Lay off the drugs, eat healthy, do lots of exercise and feel better brother.

this is why people think all drug users are fucking idiots

Hope all is well now with you, really sounds like a terrifying experience.....

Wow, that sounds terrifying. I've had sleep paralysis and related dreams that are so real I was fully lucid and unable to convince myself it wasn't a dream. That was after AMT abuse, which is also a serotonin releaser. It also happened once on MDMA. But I have never experienced the demonic thing or the repeated murder dreams.

Ive always had sleep paralysis /lucid dreams/astral projection and prophetic dreams (which turned out to be true) , I strongly believe messing with brain chemistry can cause lots of problems (twisting reality) but can also unveil what the human mind is capable of. I believe that Im a fairly mentally sound individual and don't believe in unicorns and leprachauns in my closet but Ive had some experiences that I can without a shadow of a doubt label as "paranormal". mind altering drugs can magnify these experiences but unfortunately the can magnify psychosis...double edged sword???

YOur consciousness is based solely on the way your mind processes the universe ....if your mind "feels like" processing things backwards , well sucks for you but time will indeed seem to reverse...ever had looping while tripping? Time stand still? All this is very fucking real...your universe relies on your brain chemistry....careful with the mind candy or you mat fall out of sync with the way everyone else process the universe around us.

Shulgin once described the ++++ experience as being in a universe completely under your control...and that it actually caused him some fear and discomfort being stuck there. It was an interesting speech on this phenomena...this ofcourse isn't verbatim.

I hope you have recovered OP. With godspeed.

Ive always had sleep paralysis /lucid dreams/astral projection and prophetic dreams (which turned out to be true)

I have had dreams that felt prophetic that haven't come true (yet anyway), but my mom (not on psychedelics, she has never done one in her life) dreamed about her dad's death a few months before it happened, well, she dreamed of his funeral, in every detail down to specific conversations between random people, and when he died his funeral was exactly like she dreamed, down to those conversations and a bunch of other really random specifics.

My grandmother who is very straight forward logical analytical atheist. Explained that she had very prophetic dreams of her husband dying...that too went as she dreamt ...further she said in our family when a mirror falls and shatters ....seemingly with no reason..that someone close in the family will pass.....then she closes with "but its all nonsense, the human mind is a funny thing, theres no god blah blah"....I just respond with "grandma , I know you will find yourself pleasantly surprised"