Empathogenic
    Drugs

Welcome Guest!
  • MDMA Moderators:

MDMA & SSRIs

Parabolan

Bluelighter
Hi,

I read somewhere that SSRIs can ruin your MDMA experience. Is this true? How so?

I think the concern is in regard to potential for serotonin syndrome. The MDMA is a serotonin releaser, and SSRIs prevent reuptake of the serotonin so the synapse gets flooded with too much serotonin.

I think the concern is in regard to potential for serotonin syndrome. The MDMA is a serotonin releaser, and SSRIs prevent reuptake of the serotonin so the synapse gets flooded with too much serotonin.
Actually, if you're on SSRIs, you can't roll on MDMA you don't get a response.

Something with the mechanism of selective serotonin reuptake inhibition throws a monkey wrench in the SERT transporter, with respect to response to MDMA. Apparently there's less serotonin released because there's not reverse transport and a bunch of other things. Bottom line, if you're on an SSRI and want to roll, you have to wash out the SSRI from your system for at least 2 weeks.

Especially Prozac (duloxetine.)

I tried taking MDMA crystals while I was on Zoloft (Sertraline) and got zero response. At least anecdotally I can say that SSRIs block all of MDMA's effects.

I tried taking MDMA crystals while I was on Zoloft (Sertraline) and got zero response. At least anecdotally I can say that SSRIs block all of MDMA's effects.
It's actually documented science. I posted a link to the paper on duloxetine blocking MDMA's effects.

My SSRI is Lexapro. I don't know if this makes a difference but I also take Wellbutrin, which is an antidepressant but not an SSRI. Do you think that I should stop both before rolling? If so, by how long?

Last edited:
My SSRI is Lexapro. I don't know if this makes a difference but I also take Wellbutrin, which is an antidepressant but not an SSRI. Do you think that I should stop both before rolling? If so, by how long?
Celexa Markedly reduces subjective effects and sympathomimetic effects of MDMA. I would expect that Lexapro is exactly the same.

Bupropion or Wellbutrin is a significant inhibitor of the norepinephrine and the dopamine transporter NET and DAT. Such inhibition has been found to cause significant reduction of subjective effects of many stimulant drugs, including MDMA, when given chronically meaning you're under treatment with Wellbutrin.

Giving treatment naive subjects MDMA and bupropion together, Actually potentiated the effects of both drugs. Which makes sense because bupropion is a halogenated substituted cathinone.

I can't in any good conscience. Advise you to stop taking your antidepressants.

Firstly, because that will most likely cause a discontinuation syndrome that is not comfortable.

Secondly, because I don't know exactly how severe or significant your depression is and stopping antidepressant medication can cause significant psychological negative consequences.

From a standpoint strictly regarding subjective effects of MDMA, a washout Of at least 2 weeks and most likely a month would be necessary to see resolution of the attenuating effects of Lexapro and Wellbutrin.

Bupropion or Wellbutrin is a significant inhibitor of the norepinephrine and the dopamine transporter NET and DAT. Such inhibition has been found to cause significant reduction of subjective effects of many stimulant drugs, including MDMA, when given chronically meaning you're under treatment with Wellbutrin.

Giving treatment naive subjects MDMA and bupropion together, Actually potentiated the effects of both drugs. Which makes sense because bupropion is a halogenated substituted cathinone.

I can't in any good conscience. Advise you to stop taking your antidepressants.

Firstly, because that will most likely cause a discontinuation syndrome that is not comfortable.

Secondly, because I don't know exactly how severe or significant your depression is and stopping antidepressant medication can cause significant psychological negative consequences.

From a standpoint strictly regarding subjective effects of MDMA, a washout Of at least 2 weeks and most likely a month would be necessary to see resolution of the attenuating effects of Lexapro and Wellbutrin.
I really can't stop Wellbutrin and Lexapro for a month. I guess MDMA is not for me, which is a double shame: I was really looking to roll, and I have this killer MDMA that I don't want to go to waste.. I dunno.. I guess I'm gonna have to think about it a lot more..

I really can't stop Wellbutrin and Lexapro for a month. I guess MDMA is not for me, which is a double shame: I was really looking to roll, and I have this killer MDMA that I don't want to go to waste.. I dunno.. I guess I'm gonna have to think about it a lot more..
I really wish I could tell you that maybe some people aren't affected by SSRIs like that but I can't cuz it would be a lie.

Have you ever talked to your doctor about reducing your dose and going off treatment to see if the remodeling of your brain by the SSRI and the Wellbutrin has resulted in a non-depressed state?

I mean that's really what the end point of antidepressive therapy is supposed to be. You're not supposed to have to stay on the medication for the rest of your life.

That's some bullshit that drug companies came up with.

I mean that's really what the end point of antidepressive therapy is supposed to be. You're not supposed to have to stay on the medication for the rest of your life.

That's some bullshit that drug companies came up with.
I know. I remember asking a doctor to go off of them and got laughed at, since I have been on antidepressants for 30 years.