• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

MDMA recovery, Over the counter supplements?

HiManImDan

Bluelighter
Yo!

Lately, I've been taking MDMA quiet frequently. Normally, I would take anywhere from 100-150mg with no re-doses, but my last roll I had 200mg starting dose (I rolled harder than ever) with a 125-140mg dose 3 hours later to keep me going. I do try and gap out my rolls, minimum of at least 2 weeks (which isn't enough, it's better than nothing though).
The last roll was probably the first time I felt a comedown (Rolled a Friday night) and felt the comedown on Monday(sad), Tuesday(What's the point of living, kill me now lol), Wednesday (Sad but getting better), Thursday (Starting to feel a bit normal again but the comedown is still there) and Friday(Back to normal), I'm sure this was because of the high dose on Friday night. At my worst point, which was Tuesday, my perspective on life itself was different, in a bad way, complete sadness, is this normal?

Anyways, just wanted to know what are some OTC supplements to help me recover?
Thanks

is this normal?

Yes, because you're overdoing it, and you'll regret it later in life if you don't tone things down. First because you'll build a big tolerance and then the drug will stop working properly entirely ("losing the magic") then because you'll be stuck with long term issues with depression and anxiety (most of the people I know who went too hard on the pills in their late teens and early twenties are addicted to downers or on psychiatric medication by their mid 20's - early 30's). If you don't want that comedown to last a hell of a lot longer than 5 days, cut back to a minimum of every 6 - 8 weeks.

There are various supplements which people claim ease the comedown, I've never found any of them to actually work, speaking personally, and even if you found one that did, all it would do is give you an excuse to keep taking MDMA in excess and worsen the long term problems.

Yes, because you're overdoing it, and you'll regret it later in life if you don't tone things down. First because you'll build a big tolerance and then the drug will stop working properly entirely ("losing the magic") then because you'll be stuck with long term issues with depression and anxiety (most of the people I know who went too hard on the pills in their late teens and early twenties are addicted to downers or on psychiatric medication by their mid 20's - early 30's). If you don't want that comedown to last a hell of a lot longer than 5 days, cut back to a minimum of every 6 - 8 weeks.

There are various supplements which people claim ease the comedown, I've never found any of them to actually work, speaking personally, and even if you found one that did, all it would do is give you an excuse to keep taking MDMA in excess and worsen the long term problems.

I've seen people drop 8-10 pills every weekend and not have problems, but you're right, better to be safe than sorry.
I don't really want anything to ease the comedown, only to give my brain what it needs, if you know anything that will help it?

I've seen people drop 8-10 pills every weekend and not have problems, but you're right, better to be safe than sorry.

Not have any problems yet. That's the problem with MDMA - don't get me wrong, it's a lovely drug if used carefully, but the problems tend to be ones that manifest slowly and long term, so you don't notice the damage the same way you notice a bad trip from acid or a panic attack from weed or a cardiac problem from coke.

I don't really want anything to ease the comedown, only to give my brain what it needs, if you know anything that will help it?

What your brain needs is less MDMA.

Not have any problems yet. That's the problem with MDMA - don't get me wrong, it's a lovely drug if used carefully, but the problems tend to be ones that manifest slowly and long term, so you don't notice the damage the same way you notice a bad trip from acid or a panic attack from weed or a cardiac problem from coke.

What your brain needs is less MDMA.

Yeah, I'm not rolling for quiet a long time. So you don't know any suppliments I can treat my brain to? So at least it gets the nutrients and vitamins to repair? I mean it's the least I can do for my brain...

No specific ones that ever worked for me, though a generic multivitamin can't hurt, and fish oil is really good for your brain in a general sense.

Thanks, will pick up a multivitamin :)

I'd look into the fish oil as well, multivitamins are iffy depending on brand and what your diet is like, but fish oil has been demonstrated to have all sorts of benefits. Worth reading up on at least.

I'd look into the fish oil as well, multivitamins are iffy depending on brand and what your diet is like, but fish oil has been demonstrated to have all sorts of benefits. Worth reading up on at least.

Cheers, I'll read up on it and most likely get it...

A multivitamin won't do much imo, if you're looking for lots of vitamins in a single hit pick up some liver/organ of choice.
A good diet will do you well, but you need to understand serotonin takes a long ass time to recover, unlike dopamine for example.
There are better drugs for frequent use, hell, most drugs stand up to frequent use better than MDMA.

Unless your diet is somehow lacking in tryptophan (or other EAAs for that matter) there's not much that has a bearing on MDMA recovery.
Keeping your micronutrients/vitamins and minerals in check is always smart though. Eat your damn greens.

Ive copied this from a very knowledgeable source on another forum....

Serotonin suppresses neural metabolism and in higher amounts is neurotoxic. Normally it serves to limit the range of our behaviors according to our metabolic capacity. High levels of serotonin produce torpor and tranquilization, not happiness and creativity. 'Serotonergic' psychedelics displace serotonin from its 'receptor' proteins, replacing its effects with their own.
In general, the harmful effects of MDMA result from its stimulation of thermogenesis and the resulting increase in metabolic rate. Virtually everyone who takes MDMA is already deficient in the metabolites necessary to support neural metabolism. MDMA further increases the demands for these, as well as increasing oxidative stress by its displacement of catecholamines, depleting vitamin C and then B3.
The beneficial effects of psychedelics, including MDMA, arise from their replacement and displacement of serotonin, which leads to the transcendence of our various habits. 'Increasing your serotonin levels' is a great way to avoid the beneficial effects of MDMA while further suppressing your brain's metabolism.
I also suspect (but have not confirmed) that 5-HTP works in part by preventing tryptophan hydroxylating, diverting more tryptophan to the kynurenine pathway which ultimately produces niacin (vitamin B3).
In either case, supporting higher levels of metaboilsm through nutrition is preferable to suppressing it using 5-HTP.

EGCG is a flavonoid, and would probably be effective at attenuating oxidative stress. It can prevent the destruction of endogenous antioxidants and metabolites, preserving metabolism during stressful conditions.

And

Tryp, you know I love your posts, and find you to be one of the most learned members of the forum about a variety of subjects, but especially nutrition. I have to ask you again about 5htp.

My understanding is that after MDMA use, the enzyme TDH is destroyed and takes about a couple of weeks to be restored. During that time, some users (and this has been confirmed by animal and human studies) will have low levels or extremely low levels of serotonin. The only way to restore levels without TDH is to use 5htp, with ECGC to prevent peripheral conversion, again not for long term use, but for the short term as Krazy proposes. I love your niacimide recommondation, but it won't result in restored serotonin levels without TDH. Am I on the right track?

Please correct me where I am misunderstanding.

--Kooch

MDMA research usually consists of supraphysioloical dosages of MDMA given to environmentally deprived and functionally malnourished rats or mice, accompanied by transparent assertions by the authors that the supposed findings are somehow equivalent to human dosages a tiny fraction of their size under vastly different conditions. Far more often than not the inter-species comparisons give no meaningful data relevant to human use of the drug, and as a result people tend to assume the worst (or else ignore the risks entirely).

I consider the depression of tyrosine hydroxylase activity (which is a reversible inhibition, not a destruction, and occurs in rats but not mice) and more generally the sustained decrease in serotonergic tone produced by MDMA, to be one of its the lasting beneficial effects. It would be very interesting to test whether the long-term therapeutic benefits of MDMA (ie, in PTSD sufferers) correspond (or can be influenced by) changes in serotonergic activity. in brief, the function of serotonin is to restrict our range of behaviors, in the same way that it constricts the smooth muscle in our blood vessels or our gut, or lowers the energy levels of an animal preparing for hibernation. Blood or brain serotonin found to be elevated in many disease conditions, and in laboratory animals predicts the development of 'learned helplessness'. MDMA (and to varying extents other indole or indolizable psychedelics) can help loosen the 'grip' of serotonin on our behavior, worldview, and blood vessels.

Flunarizine blocks the decrease in tryptophan hydroxylase activity induced by 3, methylenedioxymethamphetamine

Coadministration of FLU with METH further reduced tryptophan hydroxylase activity to 40~ of control; cotreatment of FLU with MDMA provided significant protection from the MDMA-induced decrease in tryptophan hydroxylase activity as enzyme activity was lowered to only 78~; of control. The administration of FLU alone did not alter tryptophan hydroxylase activity.

--
This study indicated that the inhibition of tyrosine hydroxylase was due to excess calcium influx, as most of it could be preveted by a 'calcium channel blocker'. Sufficient vitamin K and magesium intake should have a similar effect (although of course no one will publish a study on that).

MDMA can be used safely - if you have a largely raw fruit diet and sufficient supplementation, limit your doses, and avoid becoming dependent on it. In humans by far the major risk of MDMA use is hypothermia, resulting from an overheated environment, alcohol use, lack or excess of water, and the indiscriminate consumption of excessive dosages.

EGCG is fine, but your body absolutely does not need 5-HTP. Supplementing 5-HTP itself inhibits tryptophan hydroxylase, 'shunting' the tryptophan towards niacin synthesis. Niacin synthesis passes through several potentially neurotoxic kynurenine intermediates, whose toxicity is exacerbated by, among other things, vitamin deficiency. Only about 5% of tryptophan ultimately becomes serotonin. Therefore if, as I assert, the benefits of tryptophan supplementation are due increased niacin synthesis, niacin or niacinamide should be taken to avoid subjecting yourself to higher levels of the kynurenines.

The tryptophan requirement of the rat as affected by niacin and level of dietary nitrogen

Niacin had a marked tryptophan-sparing effect. With adequate niacin in the diet, the tryptophan required for normal growth at dietary protein levels of 9, 10, or 10.8% of protein were respectively 0.10, 0.12, and 0.13% of the diet. When niacin was omitted from the diet, the tryptophan required for normal growth at a 10.8% level of dietary protein increased to 0.19% of the diet.

When the level of dietary protein was increased to 19–20% by the addition of gelatin or casein hydrolyzate, the tryptophan requirement was increased to 0.17% of the diet in the presence of adequate niacin. Without supplementary niacin and with casein used as the source of tryptophan, the tryptophan requirement for normal growth was 0.30% of the diet.

On a related note - the supposed dietary 'essentiality' of tryptophan, is due in large part to its role as a precursor for niacin. The 'protein-calorie malnutrition' which is maintained in 'underdeveloped' countries by widespread consumption of rice and other nutrient-poor 'staples', is largely (perhaps primarily) a niacin deficiency, which is dishonestly portrayed as a tryptophan deficiency in order to promote the consumption of 'tryptophan-rich foods' such as muscle meat and most types of seeds.

I take fish oil and anxiety free. I have not taken any form of ecstasy in over two years and am still recovering. Havent tried http or anything like that though.

Every single word of this is truth and couldn't be said better. It's frustrating reading all these new threads asking the same damn questions over and over; again and again. I knew all these answers I was asking questions about 6 years ago when I was asking them... Does the OP need to be like me and so many others... And have to live through it to realize it?

On that note I now feel the need to add that I am also taking ativan and lamictal due to my excessive MDMA use and drug use in general every day as presceibed by my doctor. 24 years young staying strong baby

Crankinints given great advice, as far as 5-htp is concerned it can help, but normally you would take it the day after rolling, or even that night before going to bed. I don't think it helps a couple days after, and it's far less helpful then taking a big break from MD. Normally 3-4 weeks apart is ideal but since you've been overdoing it, I'd recommend no MD for 3 months.

In the late 90's the advice was to dose up a few days in advance of an MDMA roll on chewable kid's multi-vitamin tablets. The 'wisdom' was that the potassium component was more abundant and readily absorbed than in adult multi-vites. This was said to be useful because MDxx strips the brain of potassium which it uses to bridge neural pathways and keep it firing correctly. The shorter the duration between rolls the more one's accumulated potassium level is depleted. Even with a balanced diet and reasonable fitness it takes a while to re-stock, and apparently longer so the older we get. They might just have tasted good, too. Stay safe.

I've tried 5htp and tryptophan.
I've used one or the other and both in combination.
5htp made me worse. tryptophan possibly better, but only in high doses and the difference was negligible.

Also, B6 - hard to say but I felt best when taking, funnily enough, PMS pills - high B6 and a few other bits like zinc and magnesium.

What had worked more recently and much more noticeably than 5htp, tryptophan, or B6 is sun.
Sun and exercise have improved my comedowns monday tuesday to no end.

Sun and the beach kept me from necking myself a few times during a 2 week festival in Europe recently where I ate MDA and MDMA most nights...