• MDMA &
    Empathogenic
    Drugs

Welcome Guest!
  • MDMA Moderators:

MDMA Or Antidepressants

james125

Greenlighter
This year I have really got into MDMA, I have never had a bad experience and always feel happy after it has worn off (afterglow) :D So I don't want to stop anytime soon.

Unfortunately over the past 2 years I have been depressed, and I really want to sort it out, my GP has prescribed me with 50mg sertraline. I have been on it before and I loathe the emotional numbness and I feel insecure about the erectile dysfunction. So I really don't want to go on them again...but I am worried about all the long term affects of depression like memory loss, learning difficulties and an inability to do anything.

I know that they can't be taken together and that you can't really take a break for a day as sertraline has a very long half life. So which one should I go for? :?

It really boils down to mental health or getting High. You say you want to sort out your depression so that is what you have to do! Maybe try just seeing a psychologist, but they usually use antidepressants in combination with therapy, but that doesn't mean you have to take them!

Also what is your pattern of use like? Every month , two weeks, etc. As you probably know already, using too much MDMA can cause depression symptoms and for sure abusing it will not help current symptoms.

Ya man, your mental health is much more important than getting high and having a fun night every so long (well unless you think otherwise i guess) and frankly i dont think mdma is the best drug to mess around with if you are suffering or have suffered from depression/anxiety type of situations in your life. Because too much use of mdma can really pull that shit into overdrive.

anti-depressants are shit. you said you hate the side-effects, are they doing anything positive for your depression? they never did for me

i'd choose mental health over getting high any day, but that doesn't mean staying on the anti-depressants, imo. therapy/counseling and some reading on the subject (personally i find that reading about how depression gets to you - negative thought patterns, beliefs etc helped me a lot getting over it. even self-help books help), and exercising could make you better without any shitty side effects.

and again, frequent MDMA use could worsen depression, in that case you should stay away from it really. may be even try some 5-HTP supplementation - that wouldn't hurt. but also, you could learn from a MDMA experience. they say MDMA was used by therapists in counseling before it got popularized and it did help a lot. it makes a lot of sense, as it gets you in touch with your emotions more imo... wtv

peace bro hope you find out what works best for you, depression is a bitch

I had this same dilemma. Well, a very similar one. I personally found that taking MDMA on a regular basis did much more for my depression than antidepressants. Going out forced me to confront (and TRIUMPH over) my social anxiety and fears of facilitating friendships. As an added benefit I got into shape, which improved my self image, and took better care of my body which improved my general health. I excelled in my workplace, as I was in sales and being able to emphasize with clients made my conversion rate skyrocket. I feel I made a wise choice continuing to consume MDMA.

However, I am not you. Just consider well your informatics and decide what's right for you. You're the best person for that.

Give St John's Wort a go as antidepressant maybe? In clinical studies it tends to be about as effective as SSRIs but has less side effects. It's worked reasonably well for my depressions in the past, and I've not had any problems with taking MDMA with it (some sources will say this is potentially harmful though).

Are you on sertaline now? Tell your doctor you want to come off it if it doesn't help you & you don't like the side effects, you might need help coming off them if you're taking them daily. Maybe your doctor could find an alternative drug that treats you better, or you could decide to come off them altogether. As far as I understand these drugs can take a while to work, you can't really judge them until you've been on them a few months & built up a dependence on them, I haven't taken them for that long, but I didn't like SSRI drugs when I sampled them & I don't like their seeming emotional numbing effect on people I know that are on them. They can be pretty hard to get off too, don't CT off them.

You could try counselling, diet, exercise. It can be more effective & much healthier than drugs for some types of depression.

Having said all that, moderate use of MDMA and/or psychedelics fixed it for me whenever I've had some mild depression. YMMV. Over use will make it worse.

Don't know how often your using but MDMA can make things worse - you should at least have a look at having a decent break and see if you buck up after a few weeks or a months or whatever.
Some people respond well to ADs so I wouldn't totally rule them out but not good for everyone. Smallish doses of Kratom (if it's available) is quite good for depression - don't do it every day

Regular weekly use will certainly cause midweek depression, but he says he was depressed before. For me, when it's helped to lift my mild depression, it's just been one dose, or a few doses over a few weeks, then I stop & I'm still good for a while. If a bit of light/moderate MDMA use this year hasn't done much for your depression then heavier use isn't going to either, it's more likely to make it worse. Everybody is different & has different types of depression, what works great for one person isn't necessarily going to work well, or might even be harmful for another person. MDMA can have a powerful effect on depression, but it's not always positive, it could all go badly wrong, especially if you take too much or too often. Whatever you do, don't mix it with anti-depressants that affect serotonin too.

There are a large range of drugs & non-drug therapies to treat depression, it might take some time to find what works best for you. I'd recommend talking to a doctor rather than a recreational drugs forum. It's probably better if you can work through your problems without drugs, but that's not always possible for everyone. If MDMA hasn't helped so far, it's not likely to help & can only really make it worse, it's not like ssri drugs that have to build up in your system, it should be pretty immediate. Regular weekend use makes even the happiest people feel down during the week & the antidepressant effects die, it just becomes speedy & paranoia/anxiety inducing.

Last edited:
I had this same dilemma. Well, a very similar one. I personally found that taking MDMA on a regular basis did much more for my depression than antidepressants. Going out forced me to confront (and TRIUMPH over) my social anxiety and fears of facilitating friendships. As an added benefit I got into shape, which improved my self image, and took better care of my body which improved my general health. I excelled in my workplace, as I was in sales and being able to emphasize with clients made my conversion rate skyrocket. I feel I made a wise choice continuing to consume MDMA.

However, I am not you. Just consider well your informatics and decide what's right for you. You're the best person for that.

I must chime and say antidepressants are more a name than a description. Note that all stimulants boost mood and increase dopamine, while most current antidepressants increase serotonin, which has no solid scientific basis as being the root of any depression. Some boost dopamine insignificantly, it's as if they worry more about the word 'addiction' than depression, never mind it takes more than the drug to become an addict.

So it's very understandable that many people go for stimulants/uppers like mdma and others, since there's no need for a scientific study to convince anyone of their effects on mood. Prescription antidepressants have been useless for me, to the point I wonder how they can be prescribe so readily when they may have no effect at all, they're being prescribed as if they were almost guaranteed effective. It's a pretty absurd situation when you think about how little science understands the brain, yet they keep popping out pills for it as if they knew it in and out, with weight gain, drowsiness, and even sexual dysfunction considered non-serious, even though they alter life negatively, and are un-healthy.

Like the op on mdma, I've on occasion had the opportunity to try coke, and like the op and mdma, it boosted my mood in a way that no antidepressant remotely came close to. Specifically it gave me motivation and game/active energy, which is completely lacking in depression, and when antidepressants don't do anything for that they become unattractive options, since that lack is the elephant in the room (prevents engagement in life). When depression is long term hard drugs can become serious options, because life is going to waste, literally, and anything that can help becomes an attractive option. Obviously that doesn't mean you don't need to be careful about addiction, but that's secondary to life is going to waste as it is. To understand the implication of depression, high achieving people become passive and unable when clinically depressed. If everyone was depressed, humanity would disappear. Not so with some people using stimulants for depression, and even so, only because current antidepressants are, overall seriously inadequate treatments.
Btw, when trying coke it didn't make me 'high'. I don't think it's possible to feel high with clinical depression, merely less miserable, or more energetic at best, possibly to the point of being merely functional. To me, non-depressed people seem totally high. I don't relate to being full of emotion without something external, like a drug or, a very dramatic event. This is no way to live, nor to die, take my word, so I really understand people seeking out unofficial drugs for self medication purposes, and it's not their fault. For example, you don't see someone with pain who finds relief in NSAIDs chase opiates for pain relief (incidentally when I was given Vicodin for a toothache they ended up in a drawer in favor of ibuprofen, regardless if they made me high or not, when in pain getting high isn't a priority). Same thing, if current antidepressants worked effectively, why would someone with clinical depression seek out stimulants to feel alive. Heck, even kids get Adderall for supposed adhd, yet adults with a suicidal condition are limited barely proven helpful drugs. It's just part of the whole depression stigma, the notion that depression isn't real, and is totally obnoxious in this day and age.

Last edited:
Treating psychological disorders like clinical depression and anxiety with drugs should be done always by a professional psychiatrist and not just a physician who's not specialized to psychiatry and related neuropharmacology.

You can take SSRI + MDMA if you know what you're doing and understand some basic things. Actually you can take a lot of "dangerous" combos with knowledge.
There are many antidepressants with different mechanism of action and pharmacodynamics - sertraline, escitalopram, paroxetine, venlafaxine, bupropion, mirtazapine, quetiapine, MAOIs, litium..
All of them differ from each other, and sometimes combinating is the right way. If the patient and the physician both know nothing about the subject, the lottery to find effective medication has bad odds.

If MDMA is a great mood booster for you (it's not for everyone incl. me) then it's a great sign you could achieve remission with legal prescription drugs.
MDMA is not a good antidepressant in a long run because it's releasing-agent activity and neurotoxicity.

anti-depressants are shit. you said you hate the side-effects, are they doing anything positive for your depression? they never did for me

i'd choose mental health over getting high any day, but that doesn't mean staying on the anti-depressants, imo. therapy/counseling and some reading on the subject (personally i find that reading about how depression gets to you - negative thought patterns, beliefs etc helped me a lot getting over it. even self-help books help), and exercising could make you better without any shitty side effects.

and again, frequent MDMA use could worsen depression, in that case you should stay away from it really. may be even try some 5-HTP supplementation - that wouldn't hurt. but also, you could learn from a MDMA experience. they say MDMA was used by therapists in counseling before it got popularized and it did help a lot. it makes a lot of sense, as it gets you in touch with your emotions more imo... wtv

peace bro hope you find out what works best for you, depression is a bitch

5-htp might hurt, it shouldn't be used daily or in large amounts, or in combination with vitamin B6. It can be decarboxylated to serotonin by your liver, before it reaches the brain & that could cause heart problems.

Tryptophan is likely much safer, it's a normal part of our diet & there's a rate limiting step to convert it to 5-htp. Or you could just eat some meat.

Last edited:
If I were you, I'd rather seek the roots of my depression coming back again and again. I've been depressed for years now, it'd started before I started taking drugs, but certainly my later opioid and benzodiazepine use made it much worse. I'm off benzodiazepines for 10 months now, I had weeks of very good mood but I've been depressed again since I started studying. I used to be prescribed various SSRIs, SNRIs, and mianserin, and mirtazapine when I was a teenager and I know they're no true antidepressants, and I know there's no point for me in taking them. The "best" effect I ever got from SSRIs was a manic episode which ended very bad for me. My psychiatrist at the maintenance program doesn't even offer me prescriptions for antidepressants any more because he knows I don't want to take them no matter what. Well, I guess he would insist more if he believed in their effectiveness.

I also had bad experiences with therapists and since my depression is related to social phobia and I don't trust anyone, I don't feel like talking about my problems to a therapist. However, I do realise that if I am to have a normal life, I need to trust someone at some point, so a good therapist could perhaps help me a lot, but I guess all I need is meeting a normal girl who would love me honestly and that would render my past problems meaningless. I've learnt to self-hypnotise myself and I began meditating, that's my psychotherapy with myself, so if you don't want to go to a therapist, then perhaps you could try self-hypnosis and/or meditation to find out more about yourself and why you suffer from depression.

Professional help can be good, or so I hear. Mirtazapine / Remeron may counter negative libido and other effects of SSRI's. In all seriousness, people stack remeron with others, but it'd be best to be under the watch of a good doctor and take things at a medium pace or, uh, slower? No experience with molly - have had exposure to a good bit of high end product.. and never tried it.

Not all antidepressants are worthless. That's what I thought after going through a handful of them w/ no positive effects. I resorted to using drugs to make myself feel better, mainly opiates and adderall/benzos. Then I tried lexapro and it has made my life so much better. I always had high social anxiety and a general feeling of being "down" and unhappy. The lexapro really made those feelings go away and I can see the light of life again. I could talk to people without a million negative thoughts running through my head like "what if they don't like me?" or "am I sounding stupid?".

I've heard a few success stories w/ ppl using mdma for depression but that's the exception, not the rule. I've read many more of ppl wanting to experience the roll and happiness and then get completely burned out on e. It's a very short term solution w/ a lot of drawbacks such as very low serotonin levels that takes years to rebuild. And that's accompanied with even more depression and anxiety. I've never had mdma and I really want that experience, but I know how fucked my life was before the lexapro and I don't want to risk that again. I plan to taper off after I graduate. When the time is right, it will be amazing but for now, I choose the longer-term mental health over the high

OK. I am really loving rolling at the moment, just being with all those happy people and their beautiful dilated pupils it makes me feel wonderful. Depression, or more specifically the level or type of depression is quite difficult to categorise, I have good days and bad days like most people - I like my GP can't really be sure if I am depressed or not. :? I'll try to badger my GP for CBT again they keep palming me off to paid counseling sessions, when I should be getting it for free on the NHS!

Try not to do it more than monthly on a regular basis & don't push the dose too high or you'll get a rebound effect & midweek depression worse than before.