• MDMA &
    Empathogenic
    Drugs

Welcome Guest!
  • MDMA Moderators:

MDMA == MDA? and in SW MI

rumples

Greenlighter
Many moons ago, a very popular drug called MDA was a regular favorite. I don't know if that's what translated into ecstasy, or if the proper name is mdma?

<<snip>>

Last edited by a moderator:
MDA = methylenedioxyamphetamine
MDMA = methylenedioxymethylamphetamine

They're both part of a class of drugs considered to be 'empathogens' or 'entactogens'. Though technically they're psychedelic amphetamines, they just happen to be stronger at being monoamine releasers, in this case mostly serotonin, than being psychedelics, though as they both produce quite profound altered consciousness they are undoubtedly still somewhat psychedelic.

MDA is an older drug, and was more popular in the late 60s, 70s and early 80s I believe. It's stronger than MDMA, more traditionally psychedelic, lasts somewhat longer and is harsher on your brain (more neurotoxic). Sometimes referred to as 'sass' and was once called tenamphetamine.

MDMA got popular in the mid 80s and is the most popular drug of the 'entactogen' class, or at least the one people want. It's what people mean when they say 'Ecstasy/XTC/X', 'mandy', 'molly'. Though I guess it can be confusing as MDA or mixtures of MDMA/MDA and other stimulants some would still label 'ecstasy'. It's weaker than MDA (requires higher dose), less traditionally psychedelic, less neurotoxic, and people find it more 'lovey', or produces more empathy. But some people get different reactions obviously and generally seen to prefer one or the other, or some people like to mix the two

tl;dr they're two different drugs, with similar but distinct effects, MDMA is way more popular than MDA and a little safer but which one people prefer varies greatly

Also, real high quality MDA is much more difficult to come across, especially in Europe. Also MDMA is widely faked, much more so in the past decade. I reckon MDA is faked too but probably less likely seeing as it's more of a niche product now. If you buy any drugs it's essential to use a test kit these days

Last edited:
Yes, I am thinking of /mda, as it was popular when I was more 'active,' i.e. early 70's. However, whe you describe XTC as being 'lovey,' well, that was the primary characteristic of my MDA experience. I may have been experiencing a lower dose.
A test kit? Yikes. I was planning on a few experiences, but not enough to warrant a test kit. Of course, that presumes I will find any...!
Thank you for your knowledgeable answer.

I'm sorry but looking for sources on bluelight is absolutely prohibited. This is a harm reduction forum, if it were to be implicated in facilitating drug sales it might threaten the existence of the forum. This is the one most strictly enforced rule here, but I get the feeling you genuinely didn't know and are after more information than just finding a source. Please keep this in mind, it was stated in the user agreement you agreed to when you signed up. I'm going to edit out the source part and not close the thread since your post did contain a legitimate question.

MDA is indeed a different drug, terarc already explained nicely. MDA is closely related to ecstasy/MDMA. It's kind of like the hallucinogenic brother of MDMA. Hallucinations coupled with empathy and euphoria. Though even the empathogenic properties it shares with MDMA are unique, different from MDMA. At least in my experience. With MDMA there are no hallucinations, or at least not usually. Two drugs of the same family, with partly common but also partly very distinct properties

Please take a moment to read the user agreement and the subforum rules. Welcome to bluelight, if you have more questions concerning harm reduction don't hesitate to ask :)

Last edited:
A test kit isn't as serious as it sounds by the way, it's just a £3 test tube with a mixture of chemicals in it, comes in the post and you drop some of your drug into it, and based on the colour it turns you will have an idea what it is. It's not a completely sure way to know what a drug is but probably the best way to know without sending it to a lab, especially if you use a few different test kits

By the way, a test kit cannot distinguish between MDMA or MDA, unless you use an additional one called Simons reagent. However although it seems like Simons reagent is easy to get in the US and Canada I've never actually seen it for sale in the UK (if you happen to be here). If you buy MDA though and it tests positive for MDMA/MDA in the standard tests, it's most likely it is MDA as it wouldn't make much sense to sell MDMA as MDA when the former is way more popular

Last edited: