• MDMA &
    Empathogenic
    Drugs

Welcome Guest!
  • MDMA Moderators:

MDMA effects suppressed by my medication?

CrocsWithSocks

Greenlighter
I have bipolar type 1. I take a small pharmacy of drugs for it, to include an antipsychotic, Latuda, a mood stablizer, Lamictal, and the antidepressants Wellbutrin and Trintellix. The past two times I've taking MDMA, once as "pure" MDMA crystals, and then another time in ecstasy pills, I thought I got bunk stuff. I'm not going to stop taking my meds because those are more important, but I'm curious to know if one or more of them is suppressing the effects of MDMA on me.

Yeah the trintellix is an SSRI - you should absolutely always check interactions before taking MDMA/rec drugs or you could end up dead.

Yes. Antipsychotics block the effects of dopamine which is why you enjoy the MDMA a lot less. Careful taking MDMA with an SSRI you can get severe serotonin syndrome which can be fatal.

Yea dont mix that!!! It blocked it, and it was very dangerous.

MDMA together with an SSRI does not cause serotonin syndrome. On the contrary, your chance of serotonin syndrome is actually lower with MDMA+SSRI than with MDMA alone. Serotonin syndrome is a rise of synaptic serotonin levels to toxic levels and because an SSRI stops MDMA from releasing serotonin by occupying the receptors in stead of MDMA, blocking the reversal of the re-uptake mechanism that MDMA normally causes, it actually causes lower serotonin levels than an MDMA roll would have. Hence, no serotonin syndrome and no roll. I can back this by research if you do not believe me, I'll look for the study of you want more info, I have it somewhere

MAOI antidepressants are another matter, those WILL cause serotonin syndrome when combined with MDMA. OP as already said you really need to check for interactions/contraindications between drugs and other substances you take. You made a very risky gamble, luckily this time it was a good gamble. The potential consequences of such a gamble are very severe and very real, this is not something that "only happens to other people". DXM is another example of a substance that can cause serotonin syndrome combined with MDMA

^I meant to add that but didn’t check the thread again.

Blue Bull is obviously correct on the MDMA/SSRI combo NOT being a risk for serotonin syndrome and didn’t mean to imply that the SSRI could be a lethal combination. Just meant to always check medication interactions because there may be a lethal/risky combo for someone else that they could be unaware about if they don’t check beforehand.

^I meant to add that but didn’t check the thread again.

Blue Bull is obviously correct on the MDMA/SSRI combo NOT being a risk for serotonin syndrome and didn’t mean to imply that the SSRI could be a lethal combination. Just meant to always check medication interactions because there may be a lethal/risky combo for someone else that they could be unaware about if they don’t check beforehand.
My reply was aimed at ChemicallyEnhanced, I agree with everything you have said. Top notch post, as always, thank you

By the way to clarify for the OP: I did not mean go ahead and take an SSRI with MDMA, in case that wasn't obvious. Just that serotonin syndrome is not a risk. You should not be doing powerful psychoactive drugs at all when you're taking an SSRI for a mental affliction. MDMA can and is likely to exacerbate it, just don't, you might damage yourself