• MDMA &
    Empathogenic
    Drugs

Welcome Guest!
  • MDMA Moderators:

MDMA and verbal memory impairment?

gregorthebig

Greenlighter
I recently came over an old article on erowid about a guy who had taken MDMA 10 times in a time period of 3-4 years and explained how his so called "noun-generator" isn't working anymore and that he has problems coming up with names of people, things and in general just words.
Source: http://www.erowid.org/experiences/exp.php?ID=75809

I've been searching, but I have a problem finding any unbiased articles or clinical trials where they test this?

Could anyone redirect me to some legit research?

Two interesting studies:

1 - http://www.scribd.com/doc/180210336/Taurah-et-al-2013-pdf

2 - Cortical Serotonin Transporter Density and Verbal Memory in Individuals Who Stopped Using 3,4-Methylenedioxymethamphetamine (MDMA or “Ecstasy”)

"Verbal memory performance was

assessed with the Rey Auditory Verbal Learning Test."

Hahaha.. Scared, you posted the link to the forbidden article.

To the guys suffering from a LTC, I really recommend you not read this article unless you are wearing a diaper.

My verbal memory sucks as it is, don't want to fuck it up even further by taking mdma. How big of a worry should this really be for me?
I mean how big of a problem is this in general for the majority of people, sure memory loss during mdma can be normal, but that counts for alcohol as well.

I think it should not be forgotten that a lot of MDMA users are poly-drug users. This will certainly have an impact as well, certain drugs even a massive impact. I can only speak for myself but after almost 10 years of rolling (of which about 2-3 years of heavy abuse) I have not noticed any decline in memory, verbal or otherwise. Neither do my mates. That of course doesn't mean it doesn't have an impact but to me it isn't noticeable.

Weed on the other hand has a huge impact on this for me and these effects linger for a very long time after I smoked my last joint. I even doubt that they disappear completely...

Last edited:
For myself, I have noticed a slight decline, after roughly 7+ years of use. During the height of my MDxx useage, I did not drink, and only consumed cigarettes. I may have smoked 3 joints in the whole 7 years. It has been the last 5+ years that I have flipped things around and now consume cannabis daily and drink twice a month (bottle of wine or so each time) that has caused me the greatest issues with anything verbal - recall, speech, vocabulary. I would tend to blame more the poly useage and the alcohol/cannabis. Cannabis basically does the opposite for me then for most, except with regard to appetite, sadly. I really should not use it personally. I wonder too how much is nutrition based, as well. I didn't eat as often during MDxx use, but I certainly ate "better". So I would say: Nicotine - helped. MDxx - neutral. Cannabis/alcohol/less ideal nutrition - detrimental.