• MDMA &
    Empathogenic
    Drugs

Welcome Guest!
  • MDMA Moderators:

MDMA and Nitrofuran?? HELP!

ummmbreon

Greenlighter
So I've been planning to roll for the last 2 weeks and tomorrow is the big day, yesterday I went to the doctor and found out I have a UTI. I was prescribed the generic of Macrobid (Nitrofuran Monohyd Macro 100mg), not thinking about the reaction with the MDMA I took one last night about 11pm but woke up remembering that and haven't taken one since. I looked at the thread of antibiotics and mdma and under the safe list it has Nitrofuran BUT it says that it may cause oxidative stress (which I know nothing about, is it really that bad? I'm not very good at understanding science type stuff) so it should be avoided (kinda silly considering it's in the safe list). My question is should I continue my antibiotics and roll, or should I roll and then start my antibiotics the next day because it's basically starting them new (I've only taken one last night at 11pm)? Keep in mind this will be the first time I've used molly in over a year so I'll already be taking a pretty small dose because of my low tolerance.

Believe me I've spent the last 3 hours combing the internet trying to find some sort of answer to my question but I can't obviously.

See here
Click
A few relevant quotes:
The following antibiotics should be, theoretically, safe to combine with MDMA (note that these are NOT brand names, but rather the chemical names)
nitrofurantoin (but this may cause oxidative stress and so MDMA would be best avoided)
Nitrofurantoin doesn't inhibit any enzymes as far as I could tell, but it does have some toxic effects (in particular, it results in oxidative stress on the body) that would probably not be great to combine with MDMA. I would be cautious about such a combination (if you do choose to do it, do a low dose of MDMA, like half a pill).
Sulfamethoxazole and Trimethoprim don't inhibit any ezymes related to MDMA metabolism. These should be safe to combine with MDMA.
As stated this is only theoretical and not in any way proven, it's just anecdotal. You are right in that there is little info to be found about this combination. But in any case these antibiotics were given to you for good reason. MDMA causes a significant drop in immune response. This means that any disease already present will have a much greater chance of spreading, possibly rendering the antibiotics ineffective. On top of that you have the oxidative stress I quoted above, though some quick research seems to indicate this is only in high doses. Me personally I would wait it out and finish the antibiotics course, just to be safe, but that's just me :)

Thank you!! That actually cleared a lot up for me. I was actually able to switch my antibiotic to sulfamethoxazole because I was having some nasty side effects after just one pill of the nitrofurantoin, and as it says above it doesn't inhibit enzymes so it should be safe! I'm also not worried because of how little I know I'll be taking.

Glad to help, welcome to bluelight by the way :D

That's something you will have to decide for yourself. While this combo will not make you drop dead, there is the risk of lowered immuno-response. Sulfamethoxazole is a bit more safe to combine I think as there is no oxidative stress involved and no foreseeable other interactions. It's a risk <-> reward thing. You run the risk of getting a lot sicker after your roll, depending on your illness that could be serious. Added to that the fact that a healthy mind and healthy body produce a better roll for me personally it would not be worth it. But the choice is yours. In any case, if your going to do it, I would lower my dose a bit compared to what you normally take

Last edited: