• MDMA &
    Empathogenic
    Drugs

Welcome Guest!
  • MDMA Moderators:

MDMA and Diphenhydramine (Benadryl) [Clarification pls???)

blueapple

Greenlighter
Hello everyone I have been browsing the forums and have read numerous threads containing information about combining MDMA with Diphenhydramine or taking one drug while the other is still in your system. I study pharmacology and I know that Diphenhydramine has weak SSRI properties. People report diminished effects and even possible serotonin syndrome when combining said drugs. Others have reported no adverse effects. So could we possibly clear this issue up for everyone so it isn't confusing?
For me personally I took ~12.5mg diphenhydramine this morning and am planning to theoretically indulge in my first roll tonight (approx 12 hours after taking Diphenhydramine). I would say that I'm good to go but want your opinions also. I'm undecided right now and might just hold off until tomorrow so I can have a clean roll.

Additional Info:

DIPHENHYDRAMINE:
Biological targetMode of actionEffect
H1 receptor
(Peripheral)
Inverse agonistAllergy reduction
H1 receptor
(Central)
Inverse agonistSedation
mAChR ReceptorsCompetitive antagonistAnticholinergic
Antiparkinson
Na channelBlockerLocal anesthetic
SERTInhibitorMood alteration

METHYLENEDIOXYMETHAMPHETAMINE:
Biological targetMode of actionEffect
5-HT1AgonistAntidepressant, Anxiolytic
5-HT2AgonistPsychedelic, Mood alteration
NETReleaser, InhibitorEnergy, Decongestant
DATReleaser, InhibitorEuphoria, Mood alteration
SERTReleaser, InhibitorEuphoria, Mood alteration

Hi blueapple,

Cant shed much light on how safe the combination is but I do know a few cases where the combination of mdma and diphenhydramine has lead to some lasting comedown effects, referred to as a 'long term comedown' on here and even HPPD. Although its very unlikely that this would happen as a result and its probably safe I would er on the side of caution just be safe, but thats just my opinion! Also, your DPH dose was really low and is spaced out enough that it shouldnt have any effect (not sure of DPHs half life though) With that being said, if its your first role I would wait until tomorrow and take nothing during the day, eat well, drink plenty of fluids and practice harm reduction when you do take mdma i.e. test the product, dont take more than ~150mg and dont redose more than once if at all. :)

HPPD has resulted from DPH alone so I would be cautious. Acetylcholine is important, and anticholinergics, especially M1 antagonists, have been shown to accelerate dementia and Alzheimer's like pathology.

12.5mg is absolutely nothing and will have no effect on serotonin whatsoever, and its effects only last 8 hours. Only if you are taking really massive dosages of the diphenhydramine will it cause serotonin syndrome. I don't see it how it will diminish the effects, all it would do is just make the serotonin released by the MDMA stay in the synaptic cleft longer.

He doesn't need to worry about HPPD or long term anticholinergic effects from taking one dose of 12.5mg diphenhydramine.