• MDMA &
    Empathogenic
    Drugs

Welcome Guest!
  • MDMA Moderators:

MDMA and citalopram mix!

Lola Armin

Greenlighter
In need of help!! Alright so June of this year I was diagnosed with severe anxiety and started to taking citalopram 10mg a day and was also prescribed benzos for when I needed it the most. This happened about 3 weeks after the last time i had taken mdma without a problem at a concert with some friends. Before I started taking my medication I went to a rave and took mdma knowing it will be the last time for a really long time. Unfortunatly it backfired and I ended up having an anxiety attack while rolling (worst experience of my life). I haven't touched mdma since then. Up until now my doctor cut me down to 5mg of citalopram once daily because I was having trouble sleeping and concentrating. Luckily my anxiety has decreased drastically but am wanting to try to take it in a few weeks for another concert. Will I be okay? considering my dose of meds are so low. and what are some tips for a more clear and open mind to prevent from having these bad trips in the future?

The Citalopram will negate most of the effects of the MDMA as most SSRIs will, although your dosage is on the low side. I would in general advise staying away from MDMA if you're having these sorts of problems, especially if a medication is finally starting to work for you. You're having trouble sleeping though? Most anti depressants cause insomnia :( Very common with Citalopram as well. This makes it not worth it for some people that are really affected by the lack of sleep.

My biggest piece of advice regarding panic attacks and bad trips is remember to breathe slow and deep and focus on the way your breathing feels, trying to shut off that voice in your head and shut off your thoughts. Every time thoughts come back, return your attention to the breath.

I would consider staying away from MDMA for a while and I don't think it'd mix with Citalopram very well. Goodluck, any questions are welcome.

How much longer should I wait for it to be okay to take MDMA again? This event I will be attending to is on New Year's Eve. Surprisingly alcohol and green has 0 negative affect on me.

I would do your best to stick to drinking and smoking for a while, I don't think you'll get very high off of MDMA with Citalopram in your system and its not worth stopping it and potentially withdrawing just for one night of fun (and potentially having more anxiety/sleep problems after that). If you really want to do it New Years then I would consider tapering off the Citalopram a couple weeks prior and see how you do. Goodluck :)