• MDMA &
    Empathogenic
    Drugs

Welcome Guest!
  • MDMA Moderators:

MDMA + 5-HTP taken within 24 hrs caused serotonin syndrome - how long to heal??

kitamu

Greenlighter
Hi All,

Even though I've read trough tons of very useful posts by experienced users on here, I've joined only recently and this is my first post. Sucks that I have to start with something negative :(

I use psychedelics very rarely and only for self-exploration. I had my first meditation on MDMA experience about two months ago and it was a great experience, except for the extreme jaw clenching during the roll and muscle tension afterwards (I didn't take the right type of magnesium that time plus I think the dose was too big). A couple of days later I started taking 5-HTP to help restore serotonin and stayed on it cause together with the elemental magnesium it gave me such a good sleep, as well as good mood and energy overall. Took 100mg 5-HTP before bedtime every night together with 350mg elemental magnesium.

The first time I took about 100mg MDMA, and since I thought it was too big a dose for meditation, the second time I took only a bit more than half of that - around 60mg or so of the same stuff. This was 7 weeks after the first experience.
I took the MDMA in the afternoon and about 15-16 hours passed since the last 5-HTP. I took 500mg elemental magnesium 2 hours prior the roll and that completely eliminated the muscle tension and jaw clenching. Even though this time I took a much smaller dose of MDMA, I was completely taken aback by how much high the high still was. WOW! I had an eye mask on but felt like very bright lights beaming in my face. All went good for about an hour but at one point my heart suddenly started to race so fast in an accelerating rate that it made me alarmed and I had to jump up. I started sweating like nuts. I drank water and took more magnesium (it lowers my blood pressure) and took electrolytes. My heart rate slowed down and I started shivering, my muscles in both arms jerking for two seconds. This whole episode lasted about 10-15 minutes and after this everything calmed down. After a while I could even go back to meditation, even though the loved-up feeling wasn't there anymore.

Now I realize it was a stupid thing to do, but two days after this experience I started taking 5-HTP again. Did it for 3 days by the time I realized it's giving me anxiety and even very mild hallucinations. I stopped taking it and anxiety improved. Decided to completely stay away from it, at least for the foreseeable future. Then I got vitamin B complex that had active ginseng in it. Big mistake! I did not realize ginseng had serotonergic properties, only after taking it. DAMN! Had palpitations the same night I took it but slept ok. Following night, however, I woke up to racing heartbeat and sweating again (this was 9 days after the MDMA). This time I didn't have the MDMA's anxiety-relieving effects so I even panicked. Drank lots of water, tried to cool my body, but heart rate was up to 138 (resting 70) and didn't want to go down fast. Took 750mg Xanax right when it started which after 15-20 minutes kicked in, and I began to feel better. Early on I called the ambulance and by the time they got there (45 minutes in) my blood pressure was close to normal again. EKG ok.

Big f@ck up. I'm especially upset cause I can't even start to tell you how invaluable MDMA is for therapy/self exploration, and how many valuable insights I got from these two experiences alone. I was hoping to go on with it, every couple of months this year.

My question to those who experienced something similar how long does it take for the body to get back to normal? Do you have to stop messing with MDMA (or 5-HTP) for good, or just wait long enough time (even if years) to recover and be able to do it again?
I've read posts of ppl taking 5-HTP and MDMA together, or pre-load, post-load without any problem. Everybody reacts differently, and I seem to be kind of sensitive.

If you had serotonin syndrome you would have been admitted to an hospital. Your body would have crashed, your temperature would be way off charts, and your organs would not work properly.

You had a panic attack, which is one of the "bad things" about a comedown from MDMA. Heart racing, sweating like crazy, chest pressure, all are signs of a panic attack, and can appear several days after consuming (it's not immediate).

Just relax, and stay away from 5HTP, as you seem to be sensitive to it. Give at least 6 months until you try to take drugs again (any drug, including alcohol), and live a healthy life :)

If you had serotonin syndrome you would have been admitted to an hospital. Your body would have crashed, your temperature would be way off charts, and your organs would not work properly.

You had a panic attack, which is one of the "bad things" about a comedown from MDMA. Heart racing, sweating like crazy, chest pressure, all are signs of a panic attack, and can appear several days after consuming (it's not immediate).

Just relax, and stay away from 5HTP, as you seem to be sensitive to it. Give at least 6 months until you try to take drugs again (any drug, including alcohol), and live a healthy life :)

Thanks for your reply, and I wish it was panic attack, that's quite easy to handle, I had it once or twice before. However, these events felt very different, not to mention that during the MDMA roll I didn't feel fear at all! Second time I woke up from my (supposedly relaxed) sleep to extreme heartbeat and the racing heart and raising body temperature was there first, of course I panicked afterwards. The paramedics agreed that this could be a case of mild serotonin toxicity (I told them what I took). Anyway, will see how it goes, and sure I'll wait some time before even think of touching anything :)

You'll be OK. Ginseng is powerful stuff, it can be mild by itself but mixing it with stimulants is not a good move. Taking short-acting benzos like Xanax can also compound feelings of anxiety when the effects wear off. You may want to just chill with the drugs and supplements for a little while, and check out this article for a quick primer on MAOIs, which should be avoided when taking MDMA (some common foods and supplements are problematic)

ive had ss after i took 5-htp after 5-mapb,never again along with highcintent egcg whichcause 5-htp to cross brain blood barrier

i used to be pro 5-htp after empathogen use. now nope. no need for 5-htp

Ain't you spose to ditch the 5htp for a day do the MDMA and then start the 5htp again the next day or day after anyway? Thats what I read.. practically mixing the two if taken in a short amount of time.

Thanks for your reply, and I wish it was panic attack, that's quite easy to handle, I had it once or twice before. However, these events felt very different, not to mention that during the MDMA roll I didn't feel fear at all! Second time I woke up from my (supposedly relaxed) sleep to extreme heartbeat and the racing heart and raising body temperature was there first, of course I panicked afterwards. The paramedics agreed that this could be a case of mild serotonin toxicity (I told them what I took). Anyway, will see how it goes, and sure I'll wait some time before even think of touching anything :)

The 750 mg of Xanax you took would have killed you -- lol.

You did NOT have serotonin syndrome.

You likely DID have a panic attack, 138 heart rate is about right for a panic attack.

Just a little side note. A full blown panic attack is not easy to handle. Remember that panic attacks comes in different strengths and types, you don't always feel "panicky" when having a panic attack. Feeling hot or flushed and racing heart are common symptomes.