• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

MDAI analogs, Prof. David Nutt's alcohol replacements?

One compound he is interested in is 5-methoxy-2-aminoindan. It's probably a serotonin releaser. There is some evidence that serotonin receptor activation can reduce alcohol intake. But it can also reduce fluid intake in general, so I'm not sure how specific the effect is on alcohol.

The substituted aminoindanes have been around for a while now. I think they've all been pretty uniformly regarded as disappointments in the recreational drug scene.

Certainly stuff like 5-IAI was hawked as some sort of miracle MDMA substitute, but I don't think it even made it out the door before falling flat on its face. (Then again a lot of shit was sold as 5-IAI that really wasn't, this was in the Benzo Fury days).

I had some supposed "5-IAI" that made me extremely anxious (like... near panic attack when i took it) there was nothing fun about it, but it could have been something else.

How does he plan to legally sell these as alcohol substitutes / recreational drugs? I didn't know it was possible to research and test new substances for the purpose of marketing them as recreational. Seems unlikely.

The substituted aminoindanes have been around for a while now. I think they've all been pretty uniformly regarded as disappointments in the recreational drug scene.

I think David would view those failures as a good sign. If they were abused then they couldn't be developed for this indication.

They should definitely do a thorough 5-ht2b screening with these compounds, because this whole thing could be a disaster.

I had some supposed "5-IAI" that made me extremely anxious (like... near panic attack when i took it) there was nothing fun about it, but it could have been something else.

How does he plan to legally sell these as alcohol substitutes / recreational drugs? I didn't know it was possible to research and test new substances for the purpose of marketing them as recreational. Seems unlikely.

Yeah, I don't think anxiogenic compounds would make good alcohol substitutes. Is David Nutt trying to find a drug to replace alcohol in way of effects without the negative side effects, or just another drug completely that would be made legal and socially acceptable to take as an intoxicant as an alternitave to alcohol?

Yeah, I don't think anxiogenic compounds would make good alcohol substitutes. Is David Nutt trying to find a drug to replace alcohol in way of effects without the negative side effects, or just another drug completely that would be made legal and socially acceptable to take as an intoxicant as an alternitave to alcohol?
I think David is hoping to find a drug that will reduce alcohol consumption. If it is framed that way then it will be possible to run clinical trials. Disulfiram, acamprosate, and naltrexone are approved for that purpose so there is some precedent.

Don't we already have a perfect substitute? GHB

You take a few g and you are wasted. Few h pass and you are completely sober. Almost harmless compared to ethanol and almost nonadictive compared to benzos as long as you don't take it all the time. What am I missing here?

You need gaba activity for an alcohol substitute.......

You take a few g and you are wasted. Few h pass and you are completely sober. Almost harmless compared to ethanol and almost nonadictive compared to benzos as long as you don't take it all the time. What am I missing here?

It is true that other drugs can substitute for alcohol but the goal is to find a medically acceptable substitute, ie not just something that will just get people wasted. The idea is to develop a drug that satisfies the craving for alcohol without producing dependence or compulsive use.

GHB is strongly addictive for some people. A friend of mine would take it round the clock, all day every day until he was out. Every time he got some he did the same thing and went through withdrawal at the end. I never found it addictive personally.

It's not a good long term substitute, but phenibut can be useful for quitting alcohol. It takes away the cravings and withdrawal. The long half life means it's easier to taper off compared to alcohol.

There are literally thousands of people with alcohol abuse problems that totally quit or can now easily manage their drinking after consuming MDMA.

You're an absolute twat for calling ghb nonaddictive our national healthcare is flooded with ghb and gbl addicts to such a degree that we are out of beds also a lot of female addicts for some reason.

^ GHB/GBL is definitely addictive and dependence-forming, and due to its fast elimination the WD can be pretty nasty and dangerous.