Empathogenic
    Drugs

Welcome Guest!
  • MDMA Moderators:

MDA, Serotonin and Depression

mrpeepz

Greenlighter
Hey All,

Normally I realize that its a faux paux to register on a forum and start a thread before you contribute, but I've found myself in an interesting situation that I could use some advice with (and some of you might find interesting).

I've been diagnosed with major (chronic) depression. Its something I've struggled with for over 10 years now and I have yet to fully conquer. I had been particularly depressed for around 8 months almost uninterrupted until Saturday when I took a couple finger licks of MDA. My experience was generally positive, but nothing earth-shattering or revelatory. I felt good and had a good time but thats about it.

Here's where things get interesting: I slept for 2 hours Saturday night and felt fine the next day. I was happy, energized and lucid. This sense of well being, calm and clarity lasted for over 3 days. At one point it dawned on me; this is what it feels like to have a fully functioning brain! Five days later and I still feel loads better than before I dosed.

My initial explanation is that the MDA triggered a much needed release of serotonin. However, isnt MDA and MDMA associated with a massive depletion of serotonin as one comes down from a dose? I know how shitty I've felt from MDMA comedowns in the past, but this is my first MDA experience.

All of this has made me question whether its too much or too little serotonin that is causing my depression. Two things could have happened. 1. MDA triggered a release of serotonin that "greased the wheels" and contributed to further serotonin production. Or 2. The comedown from MDA depleted my serotonin and put me at and acceptable level my brain can handle.

So I come to you for help. Hopefully someone here knows more about the actual chemical reactions caused in the brain by MDA. If I can find out one way or the other, it will be possible for me to take a supplement (I refuse to take antidepressants) to either curb or increase serotonin production and hopefully dial in my brain chemistry in the process.

If you made it this far I sincerely thank you for taking the time! :)

There's no clear cut answer to this question really. The human brain is too complicated to be explained by a simple "this causes that" as i'm sure you're aware.

Having low levels of Serotonin doesn't always make a person depressed, and doesn't always reliably predict Depression. The whole Serotonin-Depression connection is really just a theory because people who suffer from depression -usually- have low levels of Serotonin, but it's obviously much more complicated. Sometimes Depression occurs in people with normal Serotonin function as well. Likewise, not every Depression responds/responds positively to Serotonergic medication.

MDA acts the same way as MDMA with the only difference being a bigger release of Dopamine, a stronger affinity to the 5-HT2A recpetor and a higher neurotoxic potential. In the end, what difference does it make? an emotional condition is too complex to be explained by one mechanism, and not even the most renowned brain scientist can tell you exactly why it had this positive effect on you. We're all different and it's unlikely you can treat your depression simply by playing with the levels of Serotonin in your brain. I too paradoxically feel at my emotional peak the month following an MDMA experience, but by all accounts it should be the exact opposite shouldn't it?

For now just be happy the trip had such a therapeutic effect on you, take what you can from the experience and stay chippy. Remember the change is in you :)

Last edited:
I have almost always got some kind of afterglow after MDMA. First time doing it it lasted for weeks! But then, i do MDMA like 4 times a year.

I've had a similar experience. Ever since my first MDMA experience my mood has been overall better than it was before. I think it's because it encourages your body to create and release more serotonin because of the massive surge the drug caused.

It is possible that MDMA acted as a kickstart to your serotonin system. I read somewhere that the serotonin receptors actually increase the day post-MDMA in response to the abnormally high amount of serotonin present. However, it then goes back to normal or even below normal in the upcoming days in response to a lack of serotonin availability caused by MDMA-induced depletion.

I agree with the other posters - depression is far more complex than simply saying 'serotonin is low'. The serotonin-depression hypothesis isn't even that supported either, it is just thought to play 'some role'. You should certainly just take the positives from your experience and try to apply and maintain your current feelings of well-being.

Too many 'if' loose ends. I'd say if it was a positive just roll with it. I always find the weeks after MDMA to be the most uplifting part of the drug. It is like the gift that keeps on giving. Just don't abuse it!