• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

Master in Engineering - worth it or not?

RobotRipping

Bluelighter
I was speaking with a Professor at one of the universities here today. He is a professor for the masters program, in computer/electrical engineering. I'm not sure if that's his entire focus but anyway, he told me that once i'm done at my tech school program, to become an electronic engineering technologist that they would definitely take me into their masters program.

It is my dream (well one of many dreams but still) to have my masters in engineering (focusing on electronics/computers) but given that i already have one degree, and after paying for tech school, i'll be about $50,000 in student debt, which isn't a big issue for me but after going for my masters i could very well be in $80,000-$100,000 in debt.

My question, for anyone who has gone on to do a masters in engineering or something similarly related, was it worth it, money wise? i know in terms of achieving my goals there's no price you can put on that but i must be practical as well.

The job market here for engineers/technologists/technicians is great with high salaries, so there isn't an issue of not being able to find a job, plus i could pretty much move anywhere i want and do the same work or constantly travel and work. Would it be possible to just work my way up to engineer in industry after getting experience as a technologist (they work closely with engineers but are like their bitches)? or is a masters in engineering the better approach to get the job i want in the first place?

I would take a shot at going into debt to get your Masters' Degree, as then you would more likely have a bigger and longer lasting skillset than working for an engineering firm would offer. If your dream only involves you getting into $80-100K in debt, go for it. Good luck!

thanks it's really what i want to do, i want to design, love math(s) :) and with my skillset also including the ability to fix things, i'll be well rounded by the end! Hopefully i can find a company who'll pay my tuition at least though :)

i'd recommend the masters as well. even with the same skillset, the degree is going to command a certain amount of respect/authority. likewise, it would likely give you a stronger theoretical foundation than "working your way up" - in a field as technical as engineering, that base gives you an advantage in terms of understanding things on a deeper level (and possibly also impressing your peers). so not only would your career start farther along, i think you would be able to advance more quickly as well. given the salary range we're talking about, the debt should be pretty manageable.

you should also do everything you can to investigate the aid that might be available, including scholarships, assistantships and tuition waivers. i got a GREAT deal on my masters.

Last edited:
oh yeah i definitely wouldn't want to pay full price for my masters lol. As it stands even now because of some bullshit with the Canadian government, my tuition is free. It's just cost of living i have to worry about, which is somewhat covered by an annuity i have that pays out $500 every month for another 3 years, enough to get my masters. Financially i can do it but i still question how practical it is. I often already get turned down for shitty summer jobs because i'm overqualified and won't stay with the company so i have to lie and just say i have a high school education.

one issue my instructor (she's an aeronautical technician) told me about was that employers will often pick technicians over technologists/engineers these days because they don't have to unionize them. Would i be liable to job discrimination because the employer doesn't want to pay me for my education/skill set?

Last edited: