Mary Jane wasn't there for me, switching to other psychedelics?

SolarBassman

Greenlighter
Hello all, first time poster, long time reader. Well, Mary Jane costed me my Job, the love of my life, and now is threatening my freedom, to make a very long and rather boring story short. I'm a young guy, 18 years old and going through college. I told myself I'd never touch her again unless I got my med card. But I've always had this strange draw towards drugs of any kind. I've been drawn to want to try MDMA, Cocaine, LSD, DMT, Psilocybin, Alcohol, Cigarettes, and Marijuana. I've only tried the last 3, and kinda became reliant on them. I drink everyday, now that I've lost so much to the weed. I'm very depressed. I've lost my vision for my life. I used the cigs and the weed for the same thing; a short period where I could just catch my breathe and recoup. The alcohol when I want to just get inebriated. Be away and kill the pain.

Now I was sitting here trying to get my hands on LSD, Shrooms, or some DMT (we don't care, and don't want to, know how -Ed.) because they're very undetectible under most tests, when I started to wonder; Is this honestly a good idea? I'm mostly thinking of switching to Psilocybin, but would love to try the others. These substances are not harmful to your health, assuming you get dosages correct and you're under the right conditions, but the weed costed me quite a bit. My question is, is it recommended to be a daily thing to substitue what MJ did, and not leave such a noticeable trace in hair, blood, and piss? I've always had curiosity, especially after reading into effects. LSD and Mushrooms sound like my kind of substance. But I loved the weed because each day It gave me a break from the struggle. All the pressure of the world. It was suffocating, to say the very least. Just let the rest of the earth slip away, and see the beauty in everything; especially music. Now it's worse with everything ruined from MJ. Any and all info, advice, etc. appreciated. I want to have something nice for the end of the day, but I'm not trying to fuck myself up here.

Also, please forgive me if I posted this in the wrong section, come across as stupid, or anything along those lines lol. I'm just feeling so damned pushed. I want a break, and I've always wanted to try these things anyways.

Last edited by a moderator:
You could look into microdosing, only problem I see is that these substances are more or less tools, and not meant to be used on a daily basis like you'd use MJ. One reason is simply tolerance, I don't have much shroom experience but as far as lsd goes, there's been days where I've eaten 2 hits and had a beautiful experience then 3 or 4 days later eat the same amount of the same cid and sat there just floaty and disappointed all day with no trip. As far as an MJ substitution alcohol would be best suited for a daily substance imo, simply because psychedelics aren't meant to be abused like that, but hey, to each his own:) hope you find what you seek man

First off, I have serious doubts that Marijuana ruined your life. Maybe temporarily messed up what you have going but you don't have serious heart damage or a lost liver ... so it sounds like most the stuff is rather quick to fix. Blaming the drug isn't really helpful when you want to move on in life.

Second, no it would not be a good idea for you to explore more drugs. I have heard so many people who just wanna get fucked up so they go drug to drug being addicted to everything, forgetting these are teaching substances.

Third, you are in a terrible place in your life to start psychedelics. They should be started when you are either in need or in a time of true crisis and the only way to go is down, a true nothing left to lose situation. This should be done with medical professionals in something like a ketamine clinic.

Last, IMHO it is addictive to microdose the same as marijauna is addictive. It makes your life easier and feel like you are constantly improving, regardless of reality.

Last edited:
"Classical"/serotonergic psychedelics operate very different from weed in that they're not something you can use on a daily basis to escape your problems.
For one, there is a massive tolerance buildup, so a dose that produced an intense trip on Monday might barely give you visuals on Tuesday, and will probably only produce threshold effects on Wednesdays... usually it takes about 2 weeks after a trip for tolerance to really reset to baseline, and switching to a different serotonergic psych won't help much as there is massive cross-tolerance.
Also, set and setting are crucial factors in how "pleasant" a psychedelic experience is going to be. While a "bad" trip can sometimes confront you with issues that might lead you to valuable insights when discussing them with the right person (preferably an actual therapist and not a "shaman" or whatever), a psychedelic experience can also be so disturbing it might ruin your day. Or your week. Or your year. Or in extreme cases your life. For this reason it is always better to have some benzos on hand (often you needn't even kill the trip - just turn it down a notch), and maybe an antipsychotic. Oh, and it's probably a good idea to have a tripsitter (again, preferably somebody who understands that you just ingested a psychoactive substance in order to gain an enhanced sense of introspection, capable of recognizing the signs of a bad trip as a medical issue and not some sort of transcendental message from the Hindu goddess of LSD).

So usually, addiction isn't really a problem - it's more of an issue on whether the experience can benefit you or straight-up shatter you mentally.

Thus I would seriously advise you to get your feet firmly planted on the ground for a while before you try psychedelics... I believe taking ETH-LAD (an analogue of LSD) was one of the best decisions of my life, but in a way I am glad I waited until I had the mental stability for it (gosh, I sound like someone from an abstinence-only-education programme). I know you're looking for an escape *right now*, but chances are that neither set nor setting would be conducive to a rewarding psychedelic experience at the moment.

Its legal to do synthetic carcinogenic (possibly) and toxic cannabinoids though. you could do them but they will damage your health greatly but its whats legal

Third, you are in a terrible place in your life to start psychedelics. They should be started when you are either in need or in a time of true crisis and the only way to go is down, a true nothing left to lose situation.
I 100% disagree with this and highly recommend against it, and would go so far as to say it is against harm reduction to recommend someone in a pit of true despair trip acid the first time. I had my intro to psychedelics during the happiest, most exploratory year of my life, and personally think that is the best time to start.

To the OP, no, psychedelics cannot replace weed or be used daily in an effective manner. You're freaking 18; how the hell is your life already ruined?! You're accepted to a college, whatever job you lost was certainly not something to fuss about if they were willing to hire an 18 year old for it. Psychedelics are inherently different from weed and I've seen a great many people freak the hell out on them. They last significantly longer in duration and are not recreational in the same sense that weed or booze is.

Some very good advice. One thing I should've made more clear: I don't blame a chemical for my issues. I blame my own personal carelessness for that. No one can possibly blame a chemical for their problems, as we all make the decision to put them in our body and minds. I just feel like I'm off to such a rough start and I lost all the incentive I had for this life. I'm going to community college and I don't have any idea on what to make of myself. I have a love of music and look where that gets people. Nothing really else is sticking to me and what I love to do most I don't have the energy to put into it. Maybe I just need a one-off good trip to revitalize myself? Maybe once in awhile is a beautiful thing, every few weeks? Maybe I'm horrobly mistaken; obviously it wouldn't be the first time! Thanks for all the posts, friends. It makes me happy I signed up for this site.

One characteristic that I've always wish I could have is just someone looking over my shoulder and telling me everything I'm doing right and everything I'm doing wrong. I feel like I'm lying to myself half the time. I've lost a sense of what I'm doing for me and what I'm doing to waste time or go down a wrong road. People have massive breakthroughs using these substances. I think this'll be therapeutic for me, and I thought it'd be something nice to have for a day to day thing, but that was ruled out after reading enough here. A trip every once and again may be what I need. Maybe not.

Last edited:
Some very good advice. One thing I should've made more clear: I don't blame a chemical for my issues. I blame my own personal carelessness for that. No one can possibly blame a chemical for their problems, as we all make the decision to put them in our body and minds. I just feel like I'm off to such a rough start and I lost all the incentive I had for this life. I'm going to community college and I don't have any idea on what to make of myself. I have a love of music and look where that gets people. Nothing really else is sticking to me and what I love to do most I don't have the energy to put into it. Maybe I just need a one-off good trip to revitalize myself? Maybe once in awhile is a beautiful thing, every few weeks? Maybe I'm horrobly mistaken; obviously it wouldn't be the first time! Thanks for all the posts, friends. It makes me happy I signed up for this site.

One characteristic that I've always wish I could have is just someone looking over my shoulder and telling me everything I'm doing right and everything I'm doing wrong. I feel like I'm lying to myself half the time. I've lost a sense of what I'm doing for me and what I'm doing to waste time or go down a wrong road. People have massive breakthroughs using these substances. I think this'll be therapeutic for me, and I thought it'd be something nice to have for a day to day thing, but that was ruled out after reading enough here. A trip every once and again may be what I need. Maybe not.

My advice would be to study something that will provide a stable life and money for yourself so that you can do the things you love on the nights/weekends. Most people that tend to chase what they love as a career end up living at their moms house their whole life...and never getting to do what they enjoy because they have no money and have to work so much at a shit job so they don't have time.

"do what you love" is the worst piece of advice given to the youth I have ever heard. Go be an accountant even if you hate it or thing its boring, my friends that studied accounting all have their own houses and take nice trips. I got a PhD in "what I loved" and have nothing to show for it except a wasted decade and regret.

^Sound advice. "Everybody is working for the weekend" as that 80s pop song goes.

M/17 Psychedelics are definitely not for everybody. But I'd say there is no real right time to go into the experience... I read a lot about acid before I tried it and contemplated it for a couple years (all my friends were trying it already) and thought I had an idea of what it'd be like. But boy I had no idea, and what a truly blissful night my first trip was. It's only been about half a year but I've tripped about 10 times since and definitely find that it does lose it's magic but every single experience has me feeling very at home when it comes to the mindset and mentality and I have brought a lot back and been able to spread love and peace to others as well. I read one time that acid "introduces you to you" and I couldn't describe it any better, I'd say try it when ever you get the balls to and always remember you are on drugs and let the emotions flow. Get in your head and figure out where you truly stand in life, It may be placebo but I've never experienced a day of depression since the first day I took Lucy. It'll teach you to never look back and that you can do anything at anytime to make your life better or more positive, To me lucy is the feeling of true love and taking it was one of the best decisions of my life. I definitely feel you with the MJ thing. Still falling back to it from time to time (more often than not) even though I know it slowly turns me mental and drains my wallet and emotions after constant abuse. I'd say if you want to try Psychedelics go for it and make the very best you can of it. 2016 was the best year of my life and it's only getting better :)

I haven't even yet looked at other answers above mine to see if someone shares my same answer, but the answer is no, Psilocybin or DMT or LSD would not be something to substitute weed for daily use. These are substances that should only be done a few times a year in my opinion. You'll actually possibly find that the more you do them, the less you'll want to do them. If that makes sense. LSD made me not want to touch another substance ever again in my entire life, so I didn't for months. These psychedelics can have long lasting, even life long changes for the user. I feel like you haven't done enough research on psychedelics if you were considering using them daily as a substitute. Don't do that unless you want to end up in a psychiatric ward

My advice would be to study something that will provide a stable life and money for yourself so that you can do the things you love on the nights/weekends. Most people that tend to chase what they love as a career end up living at their moms house their whole life...and never getting to do what they enjoy because they have no money and have to work so much at a shit job so they don't have time.

"do what you love" is the worst piece of advice given to the youth I have ever heard. Go be an accountant even if you hate it or thing its boring, my friends that studied accounting all have their own houses and take nice trips. I got a PhD in "what I loved" and have nothing to show for it except a wasted decade and regret.

Now I couldn't agree more. I'm throwing my name in the hat as many places as I can (High-Profile gigs in musician classifieds, generally putting my name out there.), but not expecting much.

Only problem is is that I was considering Criminal Justice. HA! Fuck that. Pulling people over for life over bullshit 'crimes', defending people that hate the police, getting shot at, all for a wage that bus drivers make. Not a good living, in my opinion. I think that's what put me into this hole.

I need to find something to dedicate myself to. I can't find it and that's one thing that's killing me. If I had a nickel for every night these past few months where I've wanted to down assorted pills and a 5th of Whiskey to end it all I'd have quite a few nickels! I've ditched the suicide thoughts, as I'm not ready to leave this rock yet. Not just yet. But I'm working on picking myself up. Hence the thread. Maybe now's the time for this stuff. I have the spark, it just needs to be ignited. Maybe with a certain compound that'll put me a bit above myself. Thanks for all the comments, guys!

I 100% disagree with this and highly recommend against it, and would go so far as to say it is against harm reduction to recommend someone in a pit of true despair trip acid the first time. I had my intro to psychedelics during the happiest, most exploratory year of my life, and personally think that is the best time to start.

I think it's irresponsible to tell someone who has an admitted weed and alcohol escapism problem to suggest using psychedelics at all, that's why I didn't say "or you're really happy and just feeling it".

Some really sound advice on this thread already, let me try and sum it up...

Psychedelics are not to be used on a daily basis, i guess you understand that already.

You're the only one to tell the right moment for your first trip. But, as others have said, there are precautions you should take, especially if you're at a difficult moment in life. In my experience, not everyone needs a trip sitter for a normal dose of acid or shrooms, but in your case I'll advise you to have one. A friend you can trust, who can just check if you're alright from time to time. He won't need to be 100% sober, he can smoke some weed... When I'm on psychedelics I always interact greatly with stoned people... Can't say the same about drunk people.

Last but not least, please do some more research on psychedelics before dosing. Check other threads on the Psychedelic Drugs Forum, the Trip Report Forum, check Erowid, look for some books... as far as I know, reading some Aldous Huxley has never hurt anyone %)

I think it's irresponsible to tell someone who has an admitted weed and alcohol escapism problem to suggest using psychedelics at all, that's why I didn't say "or you're really happy and just feeling it".
I can see where you're coming from and a few years ago would have agreed with you, but in recent years I've come to realize that true change comes from a clear mind. The OP isn't on his death bed or experiencing untreatable depression that I can tell, rather he's hit the bump that most every young adult does when it comes to finding his calling in life.

If anything, I would agree with the OP that he needs to steer clear of cannabis; however, that doesn't mean replacing it with another drug. We've all been there; sobriety blows. Life blows. It's hard to get through any day without a lil' pick me up. Psychedelics cannot answer this desire though. I must admit that a trip might kick in the desire for sobriety. Intense trips during heavy drug use periods for me have indeed prompted a desire for sobriety. I just don't think it's safe to assume that they can give you the answers you need.

Honestly OP, you don't sound like you're at rock bottom, so maybe you could trip and find a new found purpose in life; however, do not assume that it would automatically come to you just because you eat these drugs. They can show you God, and they can show you that there is no God. There are no guarantees with psychedelics, and because of that, I heavily advise caution in your decision.

Last edited:
Sorry, replacing one drug habit with another is of course possible but definitely not recommended - usually people choose narcotic drugs of any kind for it. Cannabis has different sides but it can blur and 'depress' things you find difficult. Alcohol does this more reliably I guess.

Psychedelics are in my opinion / experience for the most part the opposite in that they promote confrontation and resolution of feelings including difficult ones. If you have a lot of mental bagage, it can be a heavy task to start dealing with this. Be careful not to ask too much of yourself too fast. On the other hand, with the proper set, setting, drug, dosage and preferably guidance you can have worthwhile experiences and perhaps even breakthroughs about those issues.

For me, they do also have a sort of escapist side next to the confronting and that is because of the distortion and dissociation from reality. That can only become a bit routine when I trip regularly and have few issues, and I have also taken a break from tripping when I had too many issues going on anyway. And regularly is weekly by the way. Daily wouldn't even be possible due to the tolerance you build up.

Psychedelics can catalyze change but don't solve things magically. It is a risk to go into it desperately, it is better to be at least a bit stable even if depressed, being clear about what you want to get a grip on - defining your help question. At the same time, it usually doesn't work to try and keep some issues bottled up to deal with another time... a lot tends to go to the surface and wants to come out one way or another. You'd have to have a good way to deal with your feelings and channel them. Express it, cry, re-experience, etc.

For me psychedelics enrich my life and my thirst for narcotic stuff is low but not zero. I choose to avoid heavier narcotic drugs now because they are not an answer to anything, they just pause, complicate, numb.. Which fucks with your willpower and it becomes just one big mess of not wanting to deal. I struggled like that for a long time and a lot of energy was expended in vain.

Not sure what your best strategy is to get a grip on things but I guess it involves finding a way to be happier (to start doing more things that fulfill you and not using drugs to play a big role in that), stability and deciding on some fair use policy of drugs, if you can.
At least I'm satisfied that I can rely a bit on sustainable things (getting medication really helped with that).. hope this was of any help

Also, not all psychedelics are equally hardcore and unforgivable... some are really pretty tame and semi-abusable. Not sure if you agree but if so, avoid the hardcore ones unless you really mean to go there... and also avoid the abuse of the really soft ones IMO. Check out things in the middle.

^ what medication do you take that helped with being satisfied enough to rely on sustainable things solipsis?

I'm currently trying to get an appointment and get on medication, because as much as I have tried in life....I can't get by without drugs, so I might as well be on one that keeps me happy/sane enough to stay away from drugs which can also get me arrested or snowball in abuse. I want to not do drugs quite badly but the depression that returns when I stop interferes with life as much as doing drugs does.

I've even given it good stretches of totally clean time, but the bad feelings and desire to do drugs remains, I guess I'm hoping some sort of medication can curb that, but that could also be a pipe dream

Hello all, first time poster, long time reader. Well, Mary Jane costed me my Job, the love of my life, and now is threatening my freedom, to make a very long and rather boring story short. I'm a young guy, 18 years old and going through college. I told myself I'd never touch her again unless I got my med card. But I've always had this strange draw towards drugs of any kind. I've been drawn to want to try MDMA, Cocaine, LSD, DMT, Psilocybin, Alcohol, Cigarettes, and Marijuana. I've only tried the last 3, and kinda became reliant on them. I drink everyday, now that I've lost so much to the weed. I'm very depressed. I've lost my vision for my life. I used the cigs and the weed for the same thing; a short period where I could just catch my breathe and recoup. The alcohol when I want to just get inebriated. Be away and kill the pain.

Now I was sitting here trying to get my hands on LSD, Shrooms, or some DMT (via Deep Web) because they're very undetectible under most tests, when I started to wonder; Is this honestly a good idea? I'm mostly thinking of switching to Psilocybin, but would love to try the others. These substances are not harmful to your health, assuming you get dosages correct and you're under the right conditions, but the weed costed me quite a bit. My question is, is it recommended to be a daily thing to substitue what MJ did, and not leave such a noticeable trace in hair, blood, and piss? I've always had curiosity, especially after reading into effects. LSD and Mushrooms sound like my kind of substance. But I loved the weed because each day It gave me a break from the struggle. All the pressure of the world. It was suffocating, to say the very least. Just let the rest of the earth slip away, and see the beauty in everything; especially music. Now it's worse with everything ruined from MJ. Any and all info, advice, etc. appreciated. I want to have something nice for the end of the day, but I'm not trying to fuck myself up here.

Also, please forgive me if I posted this in the wrong section, come across as stupid, or anything along those lines lol. I'm just feeling so damned pushed. I want a break, and I've always wanted to try these things anyways.

Psychedelics are not for you and I would advise you not to ever use coke, meth, or opiates. Even MDMA/MDA can be addictive for some people.

Stop using all drugs while you still can. If you need help quitting alcohol check into rehab/detox, see a doctor, and also go to AA/NA meetings. Do not just quit alcohol cold turkey or suddenly. Good luck.

Being a student in college or university is stressful. Using drugs or drinking daily are not going to help you. Concentrate on improving yourself, and getting your life together as you're young and will be heading down a bad path in life if you keep drinking and using other drugs. Stay safe.