• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Marijuana is a stimulant?!

Stimulant seems rather inaccurate. It is not really a true depressant either. Intoxicant is more suitable.

Stimulant seems rather inaccurate. It is not really a true depressant either. Intoxicant is more suitable.

Personally even that term rustles my jimmies, as it suggests toxicity (always commonly used for alcohol, coz you know, alcohol is hepatoxic).

Salutations,

It seems to me it's not that much of a "stimulant" when used but most certainly when discussed, by those who won't touch it exactly...

Good day, have fun!!

:p

Well, the heart rate increase effect could be a sign of a stimulant. I guess I'm not really clear on the actual clinical definition of a stimulant. I would expect that a stimulant would probably entail overall increased physiology metabolism, and I'm not sure that cannabis would fit that.

The guy in the article also says that cannabis increases your respiration, but I've never experienced that nor have I come across any studies suggesting that as an effect. Did I miss it?

Then the quoted "expert" seems to equate stimulant with addictive potential, and I think that's probably wrong. Frankly, I think they didn't find much expertise in that expert.

I wish the press would take some time to find better expert sources for articles like this.

Cannabis is not a true stimulant or depressant. It's a mild hallucinogen since it causes auditory (and for those who claim visual) hallucinations. THC's peak effects are somewhat of a stimulant with the elevated HR and BP, but there's no real energy to call it a stimulant. When the peak effects of THC subside it becomes more of a downer than an upper with the anti-anxiety, anti-psychotic, etc.. effects. There's no real class to place this drug under because it is, in fact, a wonder drug. There's so many different ways of administration with the widest variety of subjective effects and minimal negative effects. But I for one, consider it a mild hallucinogen with upper and downer qualities, but very little upper qualities, so yes, i would say calling it a stimulant is wrong.

I actually have friends who debate this point with me. Their argument is that since it "stimulates" your brain, it is a stimulant :-|