• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Marijuana and Social Anxiety - possible treatment?

RachaelFromFriends

Greenlighter
I have had untreated Social Anxiety Disorder for a while now. I have researched both behaviour therapy and medication. The medication route is usually through benzos or antidepressants and I have heard some nasty stories about possible withdrawal and addiction. Therapy is too expensive for me, so I thought of Weed.
I don't know how I feel about Weed because I get quite paranoid and anxious on Weed. I don't know if it's because Weed may set off what is already there, and so I thought maybe Weed may help me reflect on my anxiety while it is happening?

Has anyone had any experience in treating Anxiety and Social Anxiety with Weed?

i would bet money that growers could engineer a strain that doesnt cause anxiety/paranoia etc

I had social anxiety when I was younger. I love weed, but it didn't help me at all in terms of being social. I always felt more self conscious and quiet getting high out in public. It took a long time to learn how to be outgoing and talkative with strangers when I'm high.

What helped for me was exposure. Just talking to people and being more social on a regular basis. There's nothing to be anxious about when it's a regular thing in your life.

Weed is kind of anxiolytic for me, in that when I get super, super stoned I really cease to give a shit about what others are doing/thinking

Get a nice indica strain. I don't recommend smoking a sativa. For me sativas give me a lot of anxiety, indica relaxes me and removes pretty much all my anxiety.

Also, if you plan to smoke just do it in a safe environment where you shouldn't have any worries if you can, then you shouldn't have any anxiety at all.

I Find Indica is Better For Anxiety BUT Weed With GOOD Strain even with for example Sour Diesel 90% Sativa With that 10% Indica IF U SMOKE A LOT OF IT then it can help the Anxiety A BIT so it is better then NOTHING but same time MAN SOUR DIESEL is like a party strain is what it is called it Cannabis Bud Smoking Reviews But I Definitely Agree AND Find It INCREDIBLY THOUGHT AND MIND PROVOKING AS STRONGLY AS MOST IF ANY OF ALL STRAINS CAN GET TO BE LIKE WHICH CAN BE VERY FUCKING INTENSE WHEN SMOKING ALOT FOR LONG HOURS AND THINKING HEAVILY ABOUT LIFE AND HEAVY THINKING OF HEAVY THOUGHTS AND HEAVY SHIT LIKE LIFE OR DEATH MEANING OF LIFE AND OR MILDER ISSUES LOL BUT fuckin with ya Everyone's Got A Different OPINION OF What Is Considered To Be Some HEAVY-THOUGHTS! At Least In My Opinion AND THAT-ALONE, SPEAK FOR ITSELF!

In my experience, it can do one thing or another. If you over-do it, it can make you anxious. I'd actually suggest a sativa strain even though some may argue that it would make it worse. Sativas are more mentally stimulating which could be very beneficial. Indicas can be too if you get the strain balance right. Enough sativa for the mental stimulation but enough indica for the physical relaxation. It all depends on the mood and setting. Try bits and bobs and see how you go. Just experiment. Best way forward. Others can make suggestions but only you will find out what works and what doesn't. Hope you can find something :) x

it may help but it may make things worse :). if you do go this route, stick to the pure indica strains :D.

In my experience, it can do one thing or another. If you over-do it, it can make you anxious. I'd actually suggest a sativa strain even though some may argue that it would make it worse. Sativas are more mentally stimulating which could be very beneficial. Indicas can be too if you get the strain balance right. Enough sativa for the mental stimulation but enough indica for the physical relaxation. It all depends on the mood and setting. Try bits and bobs and see how you go. Just experiment. Best way forward. Others can make suggestions but only you will find out what works and what doesn't. Hope you can find something :) x

I also prefer Sativa strains for social use - they make me more upbeat, mind more active, and very giggly. Indicas are very relaxing but socially they just make me more quiet and withdrawn. I'll usually smoke indicas by myself. I think using Sativas in this way works better if you have a bit of a tolerance though, so you're not overwhelmed by the effects.

But more than anything for anxiety I like high CBD strains. I'd recommend a 2:1 or 1:1 CBD:THC strain to the OP. These are lower in THC, but higher in the cannabinoid CBD than 'normal' strains, which gives a lot of the beneficial effects without as much of a high. Good for when you want to feel a little more at ease, but still have a clear head in social situations.

Yeah I can't stand indica "couch lock"-type strains myself, not unless I'm on some really strong stimulants (LSD, preferably). I like sativas too and I've been diagnosed with "anxiety disorders" on several occasions by doctors. With weed I've learned you either have the "set" to handle it or not...and some people lose the ability to enjoy weed over a protracted period of time...it's highly individual-dependent, IMO. For example any anxiety or paranoia I've ever had from weed has exclusively derived from weed being illegal and fears of being "busted" while out in public. When that hasn't been an issue I've never really gotten anxiety from THC.

Pretty much any situation I've been uncomfortable in while stoned would've been just as, if not more uncomfortable, for me to be in while completely sober.

i would bet money that growers could engineer a strain that doesnt cause anxiety/paranoia etc

They have one, its called Pineapple Diesel.....this stuff knocks any bad mood out of the park, one of the best out there for anxiety, lifts you right up, euphoric high, cerebral high is amazing. It makes you sociable, makes stressful situations laughable at times.......never knew weed could do all that. Body gets warm & a bit tingly, gives you energy, its more of a daytime weed, gives you a clear head & you can focus on it, & you can actually go to work on this stuff......this stuff should be smoked by everyone!

Forgot to.mention, its great for pain relief & the relief lasts a long time.

Last edited:
thx

1424461_10153371558795975_8441263663944069602_n.jpg

I had social anxiety when I was younger. I love weed, but it didn't help me at all in terms of being social. I always felt more self conscious and quiet getting high out in public. It took a long time to learn how to be outgoing and talkative with strangers when I'm high.

What helped for me was exposure. Just talking to people and being more social on a regular basis. There's nothing to be anxious about when it's a regular thing in your life.

It was like that for me as well. Getting out, and talking or socializing with people helped. Smoking or getting way too stoned at parties or before social situations did not always help so I would just pick and choose when I would get stoned when I was into cannabis and before getting sober.

Already have social anxiety, and weed doesn't change that anxiety much, except for when I get giggly, and stay stupid, as in air headed stuff, then I over worry... General anxiety increases though

Weed, taking into account your history and personal brain chemistry, may in the long run exasperate and increase social anxiety. It sure did for me. Weed also causes acute panic/social anxiety randomly at times. Weed is for some people, not all, people with anxiety needless to say may respond negatively to weed. Your best bet is to either get therapy, switch to alcohol mans "natural' social anxiety medication, figure out a routine/method to ingest cannabis in a particular way to avoid the social anxiety effects [isolation] and/or stop smoking. Just my opinion. Everyone is different, you are like no one else.

I too have suffered from anxiety/depression on and off for maybe 7 or 8 years. Especially the social aspect, although I haven't been diagnosed with SAD specifically. I did suffer a traumatic brain injury after wrapping my car around a tree back in November 2015 though (I was actually completely sober driving) and I can tell you: forget all of the broken bones, that was the most painful thing I've ever experienced. The depression made me feel as though I had been shattered to pieces. I love smoking weed and it rarely gives me anxiety or paranoia, the opposite I think in fact. I usually smoke with friends and we always have a blast, so for me smoking is such a familiar and comforting experience. I've been high in public a few times and I just feel goofy as fuck and I think everyone knows I'm high, but it's more in a funny way and not like I'm sketching out that everyone suspects something about me. I'd definitely give it a try.