Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

MardiGrass 2013

gtrain15

Greenlighter
Hello all

Just wondering if any previous MardiGrass goers can shed some light essentially on the whole event for me. This will be my first time going with a mate.

Just wanna know what the situation with bringing in the goods, police presence and all that. Essentially what precautions should we be taking in order to have a good time and not get done by the god damn swine bastards.

Also just general MardiGrass chat

Thanks guys

Like any festival where there is known to be drugs there is a police presence and sniffer dogs, especially at something like this.

I'd personally be very careful, but the laws in NSW with regards to cannabis is this -

NSW – possession of up to 15 grams of cannabis in NSW may receive a ‘caution’ from the police. 2 caution limit.

http://www.responsiblechoice.com.au/cannabis/cannabis-law/

oh wow okay so just general festival drug precautions. What about at the entrances and stuff? Previous years were there heavy sniffer dog presence. I mean it sounds impossible now.

I dont wanna get done by the pigs, but whats the point of going with out any choof right.

Yeah, but best to probably only take small amounts and just gets smashed before hand, this article is from 2004 and they have done this many times over the yrs, sometimes it's probably less hectic with enforcement, but you never know and should kind of expect it. Have fun tho, would be great fun, i'd love to go.

http://www.mjguide.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&thold=-1&mode=flat&order=0&sid=53

ps) Don't be surprised if they do some sting where they check over cars (with dogs) entering before it starts, I know they do this sometimes even when this festival isn't on in roads between nimbin and byron/mullum etc

MardiGrass set to enlighten you

NIMBIN is a hive of industry as the village gears up for its premier annual event – the 18th MardiGrass, which is set to kick off this weekend.

Hemp Embassy president Michael Balderstone said the cannabis law reform rally was as relevant as ever due to more than a decade of government prohibition and criminalisation policies.

“Eighteen years ago, outraged Nimbin residents led by the legendry Bob Hopkins organised a May Day rally in response to heavy-handed helicopter raids and excessive force on peaceful hippies,” he said.

“It attracted 700 people that year and we vowed to do it every year until the laws were changed and we were no longer deemed criminals.

“Recent law changes in the United States since Obama was elected have been so explosive and so quick that I think we’re closer than ever to sensible drug law reform – even the United Nations agrees.”

While the event has taken on festival proportions that are economically benefiting the entire village, Mr Balderstone said that law reform remained the key focus of the event.

“This year we have keynote speaker Dr Bob Melamede, from the United States, talking about different properties of cannabis,” he said.

“There has been a lot of debate about cannabis psychosis, but research suggests that some of the new strains bred for potency are the problem.

“Prohibition always attracts the criminal element, and a lack of quality control and education is promoting a climate of fear which is a perfect environment for psychosis.

“We’ve got the big rally, the talks and forums, and the rest is entertainment – or rather, infotainment.”

MardiGrass co-ordinator Sarah-Jane Laughingnome said this year’s MardiGrass included the usual favourite events, like the Hemp Olympics and the Pot Art Tattoo Show.

“There’s also an Obama look-alike competition, the hemp rope tug-o-peace, a busker’s competition and Comedy at the Bowlo withlocals Mandy Nolan andS Sorrenson,” she said.

“Then there’s the climax – the big rally, including the Big Joint and the awesome Ganja Fairies.”

http://www.northernstar.com.au/news/nimbin-mardigrass-set-to-enlighten-you/518947/

MardiGrass gets rolling

THE Nimbin MardiGrass is "gearing up" for a big one next month, with imminent changes to the US legal landscape a shining light for the pro-cannabis activists behind the event.

Organisers are also confident the annual protest - which celebrates its 20th anniversary in 2013 - has a bright future, despite a list of council requirements get longer each year.

Last year Lismore City Council threatened to shut it down because a development application had not been submitted, but organisers were granted permission to submit the DA late.

For this year's event, Hemp Embassy secretary James Moylan filed a 108-page DA, and has had "half-a-dozen" meetings with police and council staff.

MICHAEL BALDERSTONE: (MardiGrass’s cost) seems to be driven by insurance companies which I feel like having a rally against too. There’s no funding; you never get funding for a protest against the government.
"It's going swimmingly, but much like any other festival there's hoops to jump through," Mr Moylan said.

MardiGrass president Michael Balderstone estimated the non-profit event cost up to $60,000 to run.

"It seems to be driven by insurance companies which I feel like having a rally against too. There's no funding; you never get funding for a protest against the government."

"If we get flooded out we might end up owing between 20 or 30 grand."

This year the main event will be at a new venue, next to the town hall.

While in the public eye it has evolved into a spectacle of pot culture, the organisers said the event remains the foremost meeting of Australians committed to cannabis legalisation.

"It's not just to have a big party," Mr Moylan said.

Mr Moylan said Australian politicians on both sides of the fence were following the changes regarding cannabis use in the US "very closely".

Washington and Colorado states legalised recreational cannabis use last year, and medical use is legal in 18 states with 10 in the pipeline.

"It's a real boost for the energy of MardiGrass - plenty of people can see the light at the end of the tunnel."

http://www.northernstar.com.au/news/mardigrass-gets-rolling/1832456/

Hope all went well, didnt make it this year but been a few times in the past. Always cops around, but I've been lucky enough to not get stopped on the roads in/out (in fact, didn't even see any cops at all, just in Nimbin at the MardiGrass itself).
Took a small amount on me each time and bought/shared some while I was there from new friends :D. Usually didn't take any with me on the drive home though.
Have a good time this year, those here that went?

0Nimibin is a scum bucket more than ever. Go for a wander down the main street and you will be offered some 'sik hydro bro' by the local lads.
I've been to a couple of Mardi Grass and it's mostly tourists and blow ins from byron. Nothing exciting.

yeh it is mostly wannabe weekend hippies. there are some good people but the fuckhead touros are an annoyance.

should be all organic in nimbin. hydro in nimbin i mean really what the fuck is the world coming too.