• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Marcie

Marcie

Greenlighter
I have been a pain management patient for 8 years now, due to FOUR cervical spine fusions and re-do's and 2 major lumbar spine surgeries. No hardware in my lumbar spine as I am an old OR nurse that's seen too many back fusions, with the rods, etc. Nobody's spine would be "right" after one of those. Trust me, it's a brutal procedure on a delicate part of the body.
Anyhow, I've been on Morphine Sulf ER 100 mg twice daily and MS IR 30 mg, up to 6x/day. I have been at this dose for over two years now and have become very tolerant to this. Very little pain control anymore.
My pain management doc has talked to me the last two visits about a "new" (old) drug called, levorphanol. Years ago when I was a young nurse, this was called, "Levo-Dromeran". Since the government will not let you have > 200 mg/day of the ER MS and I'm on the highest dose of IR MS allowable.
She told me both times that it was covered by Medicare. So, talked to the pharmacist this morning. They don't even have it and the cost (without insurance) is around $5K (yes, you read that right) per month. When I got home, I called the Express Scripts folks (that's who my Medicare drug plan is with) and they don't even HAVE it in their formulary. I called because I wanted to know what MY part would be for levorphanol. I can't remember the name of the company that makes it, but they're right up there with the Epi-Pen folks.
Can anyone shed some light on this? Everyone who lives with chronic pain can tell you how debilitating it is, in SO many ways. Life kinda sucks most of the time and these pain med prices have gotten so out of reach for most of us.
Is there anyone in the gov't that's worth writing to?
Thanks for taking the time to read this.
:?

I'm not sure there is anyone you can write to in order to get this medication at a lower price. Some drug companies have patient assistance programs for patients who cannot afford their meds. I was able to get Sovaldi for hepatitis c at no cost. You could start there. Also, you could tell your doctor about this and he may prescribe something else in the meantime. Wish you luck!

First off, I too am a PM patient and have been for almost 30 years, so I get it and I wish you all the best going forward. Clearly IMO your best bet is to go with a different drug. Maybe you can get online and put together a list of all the meds your insurance will cover and take it with you to your next appointment. There has to be something that will help you and your doctor is agreeable to you can have prescribed. At least I really hope so. Hang in there!

Just a note for future reference, you're likely to get more folks reading your post if you title it with some reference to your problem and not with just your name. Just a thought.