MAPS MAPS Newsletter - August 7, 2014

kittyinthedark

Bluelight Crew
Hit the link for the full newsletter: http://www.maps.org/media/update/newsletter_august_7_2014/

Dear friends and supporters,

Through a combination of scientific data and true personal stories, word is finally spreading about research into the beneficial uses of psychedelics and marijuana. Psychedelic therapy research is advancing steadily, and while medical marijuana research remains clouded in politics, there are signs of hope. In the last month, two more subjects have enrolled and one more has been treated in our ongoing Phase 2 trials of MDMA-assisted psychotherapy for posttraumatic stress disorder (PTSD). "The Boulder study is at its halfway point and the results have been encouraging and significant," reports Marcela Ot'alora, Principal Investigator of our ongoing study in Colorado." We have witnessed people change in ways they did not think possible."

The public outcry supporting medical marijuana researcher Dr. Sue Sisley after her dismissal from the University of Arizona continues making national headlines. The online petition launched by Arizona veteran Ricardo Pereyda has gathered over 105,000 signatures in support of MAPS and Dr. Sisley's efforts to initiate medical marijuana research for veterans with PTSD in Arizona. On July 28, the University of Arizona denied Dr. Sisley's appeal for reinstatement; MAPS and Dr. Sisley are now seeking a new location for our FDA-approved study within Arizona.

Here are a few highlights from the August 2014 edition of the Multidisciplinary Association for Psychedelic Studies (MAPS) Email Newsletter:

- Dr. Sue Sisley talks to CNN's Dr. Sanjay Gupta about her efforts to start medical marijuana research in Arizona
- The third subject is enrolled in our new study of MDMA-assisted therapy for social anxiety in adults on the autism spectrum
- Dr. Ben Sessa announces an upcoming brain imaging study in the UK, funded in part by MAPS, exploring the effects of MDMA on PTSD without therapy
- Our Department of Generosity and Gratitude offers thanks to our 164 contributors last month
- Prominent physician and educator Dr. Andrew Weil writes a letter to the University of Arizona expressing his support for Dr. Sue Sisley's marijuana research
- This month, we also celebrate reaching 100,000 Likes on Facebook—a number that speaks for itself. Thank you for your oustanding support, and don't forget to also follow us on Twitter, YouTube, and reddit.

One last thing—keep an eye out soon for our new online crowdfunding campaign: Legalizing Psychedelic Therapy. With your help, this campaign will keep our work in the spotlight and help raise the funds necessary to develop psychedelics and marijuana into legal prescription treatments. We're excited to share it with you.

looking forward,
Brad Burge
MAPS Director of Communications and Marketing

KittyInTheDark, are you Brad? I ask because I enjoy the monthly news letter and wonder if they get mailed out. Does MAPS send copies to notable drug war prisoners accused of crimes involving psychedelics? If no, could we arrange this? I know Erowid extracts is available in some prisons/jails. Prisoners find these small gestures of support and comradery significant.

Nope, sorry, I'm not Brad, just Kitty. :) But you could try dropping MAPSBryce a line. Otherwise you can contact the org directly by email, phone, fax, etc. with the info here.

I watched this on CNN, thanks. I actually get updates from all of this on my facebook too.