View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

News MAPS found liable in wrongful death lawsuit [California, US] - Lucid News

Tronica

Executive Director
Staff member
MAPS found liable in wrongful death lawsuit

This long form article describes how a young woman died in the care of the Zendo Project, a peer support service that - like Bluelight - is fiscally sponsored by MAPS. The court has found that MAPS is partially responsible for this woman's death and ordered MAPS to pay damages to the family.

May have implications for other peer support programs working in the drugs space, as well as for MAPS directly.

"Zendo volunteers involved in Gatlin’s care also were found to be negligent, but the jury did not find that this negligence was a substantial factor in her death."

... "It determined that MAPS was 25% responsible for Gatlin’s death which requires the organization to pay $1 million in damages. "

... "Gatlin herself and her parents were found by the jury to have 0% responsibility for her death. "

I'm not going to pretend like I understand the legal system, but a lot of that seems to directly contradict itself and not make much logical sense.

She took LSD which played a role in death from heat stroke, but was found to have 0 responsibility in her own death?

I don't understand.... if she took cocaine and died of hyperthermia would the jury see it differently?

Sad situation, either way. It doesn't really specify how hot it was that day or at what point she started convulsing. How long did they wait to call an ambulance? :(

End the Zendo?
There's no one to blame.
The festival would be accountable.
Now had a zendo volunteer administered the acid.
It would come down to a case of bad cheese. And hold the manufacturer accountable.
I find no malintent here. Unless she had her vitals taken.

The 6.5 hours before ambulance and negligence.
In a free society an individual has the right to choose what to put into his/her body. Where we stand now, government is deciding what we put into our body which is tyranny. And it def seems to be a case of polydrug use and NBOMe likely. RCs or analaogues.
Once you stick an IV, you're playing a dangerous game.
There's a Taylor Swift song about Bad Blood imo.

I guess it's easier to blame MAPS and RGX than find the manufacturer of the metabolites.

Last edited:
Wow. Controversies stacking up a bit for them. Unfortunate and sad for the woman who passed.

It seems to be an accident without intent. Accidents are always going to happen.

They need to sign the waiver like the medical systems do.

I think this is just natural business now, since there is money flowing into psychedelic patents and research.

Think about it, if she had taken cocaine, meth/amphetamines/opioids and died I doubt this lawsuit would exist.

How nether the person or the substance provider can be held accountable, but the good people who are trying to help are. Sincerely sorry about your tragic loss.. I hope taking a bunch of money from people working to combat these tragedies brings you comfort and joy. Next time there may be no one there to try and help.