• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

MAOI's and Tyramine

Flegga

Greenlighter
I was wondering if anybody has any experience with MAOI's, specifically from Syrian Rue.
I have read that there are certain foods and cacti that contain high amounts of the chemical "Tyramine" and was wondering how high the risk of side effects actually are?
Has anybody ever had a reaction to the combination of these two? I am trying to gauge just how strict one has to be with their diet when taking an MAOI, and am also wondering if anyone who is knowledgeable about cacti can tell me if it is or isn't a good idea to mix an MAOI with cactus tea, as I have heard that they contain tyramine as well, especially Bridgesii.

Thank you in advance for any feedback :)

Seeing as you haven't gotten a response yet, I'll move this over to Other Drugs
Perhaps someone experienced with these drugs can help.

Mature cheeses, cured meat, red wine, food that's been cooked and left in the fridge for a long time - they all contain quite a lot of tyramine.

Here's a list

From my own experience, the effect of even very high tyramine foods and reversible and irreversible MAOIs is miniscule.

But that's certainly not medical guidance as others do indeed feel the effect and may experience an adrenergic storm.

I'd advise you to check the list of foods and be careful.