View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

MAOI+SSRI question

ros18167

Greenlighter
Ive got some moclobemide (a pharmaceutical MAOI) I have used in the past for combining with mushrooms/mimosa bark/4aco.

Im on SSRIs at the moment (not bcos im depressed or anxious but bcos there is some evidence they might help with my CFS/ME and give me more energy).

Taking an MAOI when on an SSRI can cause serotonin syndrome

If I want to take the MAOI+mushrooms combo how long would I need to come off the SSRIs for to avoid risk of serotonin syndrome?

Additional question: other than mushrooms/4aco/dmt what other drugs are intensified by a pharmaceutical MAOI like moclobemide. Would it work with the 2c family of drugs? There is also conflicting evidence about whether it works with LSD or not?

SSRI's are the type of drug you have to take for a while for a different balance to set in your brain, you build a blood level. To avoid direct interaction you'd have to stop taking it long enough for 'elimination' of the drug from your blood.

It's often a bad idea to go off meds like that which chronically influence the brain, just to be able to take drugs, but it's especially bad to deregulate serotonin levels etc while doing so, since it destabilizes the balance you try to achieve. You'd be undermining the whole point of taking the SSRI, and also to consider are possible side-effects of building up and building down blood levels. It sounds like the efficacy of SSRI's for you is not that certain (neither is it for depression but okay, more typical an indication), so why on earth would you seriously risk blowing the chance it has to work?

Forgetting the SSRI, I don't think it's known to be safe whatsoever for 2C-X, for LSD it can work but sounds unusually unpredictable.

I've taken mushrooms with a MAOI before and it just felt more uncontrolled. I didn't particularly like it. Yes it was interesting, and felt visionary and earth-y in some way, but it also disturbed me on a deep level and I didn't think it was worth it, when mushrooms by themselves in a fair dose are already so incoherent. Really, pass on it until later.

SSRI's can unpredictably affect how you respond to psychedelics in the first place, plenty of people get lessened effect but others changed effect or basically the same or even more effect.

Why are you trying to experiment with MAOI's? Just upping the dose with mushrooms, LSD or 2C-X is a much less terrible idea, and even that would require keeping an eye on your condition and medication efficacy etc.
For now, postpone these ideas and choose between the SSRI's helping your condition and doing these experiments, and in the meanwhile just find alternatives that are doable for you. Don't make it hard on yourself or dangerous.

Last edited: