PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

MAOI contraindications with Oral DMT ingestion

ros1816

Bluelighter
PLAN

09:00 Take around 3g Syrian Rue Seeds [either chew them up or in a brew]
09:45 Take an amount of DMT freebase/fumarate (Im told it doesnt matter which)

Quite simple really. I do have some novice questions about MAOI complications/contraindications:

I understand that with the MAOIs used as antidepressants you are not meant to eat a range of tyramine containing foods, you are also not meant to drink alcohol, take stimulant drugs, [and nicotine might be a problem too]

I'm going to do this 'pharmahuasca' first thing one morning with my girlfriend.

I will probably have lean mean, potatoes and veggies for my meal the night before, and will have some toast with butter only for my morning meal (or should I just do it on a fasted stomach?)

For how long before and after do I have to avoid the MAOI contraindicated substances? Say if I had some cheese 24 hours before or I had some alcohol 12 hours after taking the MAOI/DMT would I be fine?

Thanks!

18-09-2008 22:11
>Foods to help it kick in?

bread dipped in olive oil is easy... but anything fatty works... also, try smoking ayahuasca vine...by itself or with herbs like passionflower to soften the smoke.

>Best way to avoid MAOI complications?

don't drink red wine or eat blue cheese within a 24 hour period either way.

on the day of taking, eat only museli or cereals or fruit. Have a big juice for lunch and take at night.

The MAOI risks are generally overrated and overstated by a long way.... largely just stay away from that red wine and blue vein cheese!

Also, I think it is best to avoid alcohol in general, either side of an ingestion of MAOI's.

Julian.

Just found the above quote from this http://www.bluelight.org/vb/threads...ral-DMT-thread-(Ayahuasca-Pharmahuasca)/page3

Would others agree that if I avoid the big no-no substances 12 hours either side I should be fine?

I don't think moclobemide has those contraindications you mentioned though if you are talking about the TCA's you may be right.

You are talking about syrian rue and anti-depressants etc it is really confusing mixing them up in discussion like that. Which contraindications exactly are you wondering about.

the answer about the timing can be found here:

https://www.erowid.org/chemicals/maois/maois_info7.shtml

Stay away from things like caffeine and stims...
tyramine is not a huge problem.

Sorry Im taking Syrian Rue seeds.

Erowid seems to confirm a 12 hour either side rule is a safe bet.

This thread can probably be closed now. Thanks~!

Might be worth taking the MAOI on it's own first - just to check you don't suffer from any unpleasant reaction to it. Nothing like having an MAOI reaction while tripping on DMT.

I always use moclobemide as the MAOI - just take a 300mg tablet. I've never bothered much with the "restrictions" - bizarre old ales and blue cheese arn't really a part of my diet anyway.

Just take a little toast and butter to help it kick in. I don't think fasting will make much difference, once the DMT hits your system you'll probably feel an overwhelming urge to throw up. Then sit back and enjoy it.

Try mixing the DMT freebase with some coca-cola to make it the phosphate salt. Or even better take 10 drops of essence of lemon oil to help deactivate the nausea receptors in your noggin.

Been a while since even I've been able to face oral DMT Solipsis! - essence of lemon oil has been helpful but it is pretty uncomfortable for perhaps 20-30 mins. If only there was a way of taking without the nausea.

Been a while since even I've been able to face oral DMT Solipsis! - essence of lemon oil has been helpful but it is pretty uncomfortable for perhaps 20-30 mins. If only there was a way of taking without the nausea.

ondansetron!

Have you actually taken it and, if so, does it make you drowsy?

I haven't tried it with oral DMT, but I've taken it a number of times with other psychedelics, and it's basically eliminated any nausea. And it doesn't make me (or anyone, I would imagine) sleepy, it's a pretty clean 5-ht3 antagonist AFAIK.

Interesting suggestion relbat - only thing I'm a bit worried about is that it works on serotonin - not sure how that would work in conjunction with an MAOI.

Interesting suggestion relbat - only thing I'm a bit worried about is that it works on serotonin - not sure how that would work in conjunction with an MAOI.

Will ask my pharmacist.

When asked about US availability and incidence of drowsiness, Pharmacist said:
"Anytime man. Yes it is. Very popular. Zofran is the trade name. I usually sell the generic for $25.00 for 30 tablets. When it was brand only, it was around $45.00 per tablet. No drowsiness at all man! I have taken it before and it works nicely. No side effects to speak of in my case.
AFAIK no interaction with MAOI."

Last edited: