• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

making someone's birthday fun from a distance

Jabberwocky

Frumious Bandersnatch
my sister, a very social animal, is feeling a bit sad about the prospect of another birthday under lockdown.

so i'd like to do something to make it special from hundreds of miles away. but, without stepping on her toes- i.e. i don't have her boyfriends contact details, but do have some of her friends on facebook. don't want to involve them unless i can't get her boyfs contact details as they aren't in her bubble and it might be awkward for them to turn up laden with balloons and stuff just to have to leave them at her door.

i was thinking about getting some personalised bunting, a big bunch of balloons, party poppers.... all the obvious stuff. also a delivery of nice food from a deli she likes. i was also thinking about getting in touch with relations who we don't usually get cards from to ask them to send one so she gets a load, but maybe she won't like me going behind her back to so many people?

can you guys think of anything more original? what would you like if someone did similar for you? or should i just back off and let her wallow?

i don't have infinite money to spend but am prepared to contribute a reasonable amount and can probably get my parents and extended family to contribute too.

That's such a cool idea, lockdown birthday blues is harsh as I had my 40th in lockdown & ended up in such a mess but it wasn't to get fucked up for fun, it was getting fucked up to keep the blues away.

The FB thing may be hardwork, you know her real friends from associate types if you follow my viewpoint here? The nice food idea is great as tasty munch makes everything better.

I'd NOT see it as going behind their back, it shows you care, thinking about her, wish her the best & have made a great effort, anyone would be touched by that experience & effort.

i was thinking about getting some personalised bunting, a big bunch of balloons, party poppers.... all the obvious stuff. also a delivery of nice food from a deli she likes. i was also thinking about getting in touch with relations who we don't usually get cards from to ask them to send one so she gets a load, but maybe she won't like me going behind her back to so many people?
What is bunting?
I get this and I’m like that, I like to go big and be really generous. You forgot flowers, which get expensive, but are awesome af. The more personal the better so the deli she likes is an excellent idea.

Something irks me about asking the family to send her cards, idk why exactly it just feels like someone will take it the wrong way and in families that shit can compound quick. If you know her friends circle well I would drum up support there with people she is really tight with.

can you guys think of anything more original? what would you like if someone did similar for you? or should i just back off and let her wallow?
Craft a nice long letter, be real but try to make it overall upbeat, and give her some new insight into your own life as well as things you share together. I have letters like that I will treasure forever. If you aren’t a good letter writer you can hire someone to write it for you, there are services that do this. Hell if you like my writing I will help you for attaboys.
- JRWS

my sister, a very social animal, is feeling a bit sad about the prospect of another birthday under lockdown.

so i'd like to do something to make it special from hundreds of miles away. but, without stepping on her toes- i.e. i don't have her boyfriends contact details, but do have some of her friends on facebook. don't want to involve them unless i can't get her boyfs contact details as they aren't in her bubble and it might be awkward for them to turn up laden with balloons and stuff just to have to leave them at her door.

i don't have infinite money to spend but am prepared to contribute a reasonable amount and can probably get my parents and extended family to contribute too.
Definitely try to get her Bf detail and have him bring the bunting and balloons and what not.

Is there a way you could organise a zoom party? We’ve done that for most of my siblings birthdays and honestly, we’ve still had an amazing time and got absolutely smashed! Drinking games over zoom are good craic! it also means you have a reason to get dressed up!

I’m sure whatever you come up with your sister will like! It’s the thought that counts!

That's such a cool idea, lockdown birthday blues is harsh as I had my 40th in lockdown & ended up in such a mess but it wasn't to get fucked up for fun, it was getting fucked up to keep the blues away.

The FB thing may be hardwork, you know her real friends from associate types if you follow my viewpoint here? The nice food idea is great as tasty munch makes everything better.
not surprised man, turning 40 has gotta be depressing enough as it is!

my sister has a load of friends who she's known since primary school and those are the ones i have on facebook so it should be quite safe from that perspective.
What is bunting?
I get this and I’m like that, I like to go big and be really generous. You forgot flowers, which get expensive, but are awesome af. The more personal the better so the deli she likes is an excellent idea.
bunting is the strings with little flags on that you see at fairs and stuff, but i'd get it with her name and appropriate message. flowers and letter are also a great idea, thanks!!

Definitely try to get her Bf detail and have him bring the bunting and balloons and what not.
it turns out he might not even be in the country!! he hasn't seen his family since august due to travel restrictions so its kinda understandable but still majorly sucks. need to think about who i can enlist as backup, depends a bit on how strict she is being about the rules too, i.e. whether she is up for starting a new bubble when her boyf goes away- really don't want her to be on her own.

Is there a way you could organise a zoom party? We’ve done that for most of my siblings birthdays and honestly, we’ve still had an amazing time and got absolutely smashed! Drinking games over zoom are good craic! it also means you have a reason to get dressed up!
we could do that actually. i'm awful at stuff like that but she has a friend who has been doing amazing zoom quizzes so could probably get her to help.