• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Making BHO - huge variation in product from run to run

TheAzo

Bluelighter
I've been experimenting with extracting some weed using butane, with a glass extracting tube rated for 7g (but in reality, it holds ~4g, if I don't pack it tightly, which I understand I'm not supposed to do), and the nice purpose made screens.

I've gotten several very different products from the same weed though!

1) Trim, and a few popcorn buds: 10g in 2 runs, scraped, dried at ~150F yielded 200-250mg clear yellow product that snaps easily and is minimally sticky.

2) Trim as above, run again: 100mg of darker, stickier product.

3) Stems, unweighed - 50mg of product like 2).

4) 3.5g small popcorn buds with traces of trim, with fancy butane. 200mg clear brownish yellow product that is less brown than 2) but more brown than 1).

5) 4g chopped popcorn buds with traces of trim, with fancy butane. Scraped up and allowed to sit overnight before drying at 125F. Brownish-yellow, opaque (not translucent like most other runs) product with very different consistency - doesn't behave like an oil as the others do, even above room temperature. Further drying at 150F like the others did not change the properties of the product.

Why am I getting such different results with the same weed and same butane and near identical process?

well it sounds like you are using regular and "fancy" butane as well as using different parts of the plant. and you are drying at different temps.

when you change the variables you change the results.

Key words "near identical process" an u use different parts of the plant an already ran trim. An 2,3 an4 200/100/50mgs is not a lot. Just make them all in 1 oil it's all good extract. I could use the same product an get a more oily one or wax one just by Useing water or not

The difference between 4 and 5 is the most striking to me - the consistency of the product is so different... and it's both the same part of the plant and the same butane, just a slightly different drying process...

How is water used to get oily vs waxy consistency? This would imply that humidity outside could impact the consistency, due to condensation...

Are there methods to adjust the consistency of BHO after extraction?

^^im not too sure why. But shooting your bho onto a hot plate makes more sticky Liquid/oil that u can't pick up . then if shoot into warm water you'll get a more waxy/taffy product that u can touch

I'm gonna give you a few tips :)

First off, USE HIGH GRADE BUTANE. Seriously. Low quality stuff leaves behind residue in your oil and who the fuck knows what smoking that does to your body.
Secondly, purge for OVER A DAY, especially if you do not have a vacuum purging system. Scraping your oil and then purging it chemically traps the butane, just let it sit. I would buy a seedling heat mat if I were you.

And to increase yield, freeze your product.

A large part of the color comes from the color of the trichomes when blasted as well as other plant waxes that were taken out.

^^im not too sure why. But shooting your bho onto a hot plate makes more sticky Liquid/oil that u can't pick up . then if shoot into warm water you'll get a more waxy/taffy product that u can touch

That allows for water to become trapped in the oil and makes it sizzle when you dab it, which is exactly what happens when there is still butane in the oil. It sizzles like crazy.