• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Mainlining (IV'ing) Ethylphenidate. I need help understanding filtering w/o micron.

IStayHiAllTheTime

Greenlighter
Okay, my best friend Penny stupidly used to IV Methadone when she was younger and had the clear 10mg/ml syrup with propylene glycol in it and nothing else but a sweetener. The amounts were in small 3ml syringes so the effects were negligible due to a habit of 500mg at the time.

My best friend Penny stupidly really, really liked Ethylphenidate. She never bothered trying orally because she read it was a waste and had limited available. Penny started by plugging it. 20mg at a time 3ml water. She noticed minor blood in stool after 5 day binge, so started using 20ml water, sometimes 40-50 depending on dose. Basically she claims if she can taste no Ethylphenidate it's safe to plug.

Penny even more ridiculously found an old dull syringe from her Methadone IV days, and decided to IV a couple doses. She got a large rush. A bit better than plugging...smaller amounts.

Problem is that she is concerned that she cannot put enough water into the solution to dull to damage. She feels she would have to inject saline after a shot 2-3 times to flush it enough to keep safe.

She also does not have any idea how to filter and never used to bother with Methadone. She decided the only thing she had was a cigarette filter and put the end of the needle into it and pulled back hoping the undissolved pieces would not be pulled in. It generally does dissolve in Water, just not easily unless heated she claims.

How can she filter it in the aims of harm reduction? She only has a 3ml syringe.....can only put so much saline into a shot. What else can be used or is a cig filter the only thing?

Or is it even just more dangerous to use cig filter? Should she heat the spoon and boil the substance slightly to kill any bacteria?

Thank you for your help. Lectures like "STOP" will be read and she says she'll consider it. She just wants to hear something to help.

Thanks for helping my buddy Penelope!

Well first of all, you really should try to get some micron filters, or at least sterifilt. They are much more effective than using a cotton or cig filter so you do not get anything you do not want in the solution and consequently your bloodstream.

I've heard people say you should not use cigarette filters, but I don't know why you shouldn't. If someone can tell me, I would be thankful. I have used cig filters myself a handful of times in the past when it was all I had. Please correct me if i'm wrong, but - depending on the reason not to use them - it seems to me that it is better to use a cig filter than no filter at all.

The traditional technique to filtering using a cotton is very simple. Make sure to wash your hands and all relevant surfaces before you start your prep.
Roll the cotton into a little ball (usually 0.5-1 cm in diameter) and drop it in the solution you want to filter. Remove the needle from the syringe and put the tip (where the needle was) on top of the cotton and hold it vertically. Then you start pulling back the plunger slowly, pulling the solution from the spoon, through the cotton, and into the syringe. Continue slowly pulling until you see nothing left in your spoon. If necessary, repeat the process with a new cotton.

I have also heard of another method where you pack part of the syringe with cotton on the inside. It is supposed to be effective, but I have never tried it.

I have also heard of another method where you pack part of the syringe with cotton on the inside. It is supposed to be effective, but I have never tried it.
i've thought of this as a matter a fact, persay, filtering with a cotton with one syringe, then emptying said syringe into one with a cotton pushed to the bottom, and then squeezing everything through that, i may give this a go at some point, although it seems like abit of a hassle

i've thought of this as a matter a fact, persay, filtering with a cotton with one syringe, then emptying said syringe into one with a cotton pushed to the bottom, and then squeezing everything through that, i may give this a go at some point, although it seems like abit of a hassle
Yeah. I only put used cottons inside the syringe in order to squeeze the last bit of water out when I reuse them. That's the best method to get the most of the wash out of them that I know of.
Of course I do not recommend reusing old cotton filters due to the risks of bacterial infection.

Oh and boiling the solution will not kill any bacteria. In order to do that it would need to be boiled for at least a couple of minutes, and most if not all of a 3 mL solution would have evaporated by that point.

Is there anything that people can put into the solution which would make the cotton shots free of bacteria? I know that citric acid kills bacteria (bad for the veins though) so wouldn't it make the cotton shot bacteria free if you mix some in the solution?

Is there anything that people can put into the solution which would make the cotton shots free of bacteria? I know that citric acid kills bacteria (bad for the veins though) so wouldn't it make the cotton shot bacteria free if you mix some in the solution?
Not that I know of. Where did you read that citric acid kills bacteria?

I have just always tried to let the old cotton dry out right after it has been used, and then seal it somewhere clean (like a ziplock bag). Lately I have also started to keep the bag with the cottons in my freezer, it would be an additional safety measure against bacterial growth.
And let me tell you something: in my 10 years of using IV drugs, I have had cotton fever one time. It was 8 years ago, and it happened when I was in WD and desperate for heroin, and in my stupid desperation I tried reusing cottons which I had already rinsed once before. And it was terrible, but I have not been that stupid again, and have never gotten cotton fever since then. And I save all my cottons and rinse them.
Again, I do not recommend anyone to do that. There are significant risks to your health, and I have just been blessed with luck.

Harm Reduction can be a funny thing. Maybe not so much funny as, depressing? Well, I'm sorry to hear that your friend has a needle fixation. The fact that she cannot really control her drug usage makes it really nervous to recommend a drug that is like Crack Cocaine to a lot of people when injected. I have to in the name of safety, but it is a great example of opening Pandora's Box. Once you start shooting that shit, you will most likely end up in a binge pattern. I'm not judging you, I'm just trying to appraise you and your past effectively. If I were you, I would recommend a short break from the rectal route and then returning if you must use the drug. The idea that developing an intravenous habit because a substance was too caustic to be used in that amount is a huge mistake.

I understand that you don't have micron filters. For this reason, you really shouldn't be injecting this stuff. That is Harm Reduction. These micron filter things can be ordered with relative ease and most people are only standing in their own way when it comes to taking this step in the name of safety. If you decide to inject this drug, the only way that you can be remotely safe is by using microns.

You can definitely pull it off with just a piece of cotton, but these sorts of decisions are some of what can cause people to lose limbs. Please reconsider.