• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Magnesium supplements

ao111

Greenlighter
This probably sounds like a stupid question but is it possible to go through magnesium withdrawal, to an extent? I started taking magnesium (500 mg daily) a few months ago. The main reason I started supplementing is because I take Neurontin and read that it can deplete magnesium. I ran out of supplements fours days ago and I'm starting to feel... not right. I've been kind of dizzy, anxious and sweaty. I bought some more today so I guess if I start feeling better I will know for sure.

What form of magnesium were you taking? I've read that it comes in many different salts (not sure if that's the right term), and that some are more effective than others.

I would speak to you Dr first to make sure it is nothing serious. I have mental health issues and also got muscular cramps and the use magnesia threonate has been miraculous!

Last edited by a moderator:
Unless you have a really poor diet, Mg withdrawal shouldn't be a problem, most people should ingest at least some Mg in their diet. ((e.g. 30g of peanuts has approx. 50mg of Mg in it, bran cereal has up to 150mg/cup, the RDA is 400mg of Mg for a normal healthy adult) MgO is likely converted to magnesium chloride in the acid in your stomach. 500mg of oxide may seem a lot but again, that's still under the RDA for Mg (MgO is not 100% Mg by weight) ... the worst that will happen is you will get runny shits if you're taking too much anyway.

If it makes you feel any better, AFAIK gabapentin does not "deplete" magnesium stores - it is not a Mg releasing agent, it instead acts on voltage gated calcium channels (again, not a releasing agent) and possibly also alters GABA biosynthesis/metabolism.

Are you taking any other "supplements"? Magnesium isn't the kind of thing I would expect to have a withdrawal from, but there's lots of other stuff out there that is not anywhere near as benign.

Last edited:
magnesium oxide is not even that bioavailable, and none at all brain wise. the most you will get out of it is constant toilet nurturing.

It's more probable that you're feeling dizzy because of pregabalin, magnesium supplementation might have actually helped a bit with neurontin side-effetcs.

that is one highly praised as of late on various forums but honestly magnesium besides oxide and citrate will work because these two are highly diarrheal. there are at least 10 or so types out there that people say work differently for each, so exploration is the key. personally, threonate does nothing for me, except not give me the shits which is one thing i like :)

You can also have a bath in water with Epsom salts (magnesium sulfate), apparently you absorb some through the skin that way. It's relaxing too, 'cause it's a hot bath.

You can also have a bath in water with Epsom salts (magnesium sulfate), apparently you absorb some through the skin that way. It's relaxing too, 'cause it's a hot bath.

Report on Absorption of magnesium sulfate (Epsom salts) across the skin

Measurement of magnesium levels in urine showed a rise from the control level, mean 94.81 ± 44.26 ppm/ml to 198.93 ± 97.52 ppm/ml after the first bath

Oral Magnesium can cause diarrhea, whereas baths don't, because the Magnesium gets absorbed all over the skin and is not concentrated in the stomach like with oral.

It's the best way. Just be careful when you get out of the bathtub, the Magnesium might relax you so much that you might lose balance, even more so than after a normal hot bath without Magnesium!!!

More people need to take more hot baths, just sayin'. Relaxing in hot water is nice.