• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Magnesium Potentiating Amphetamines (Adderall)?

:^)

Greenlighter
I've seen similar threads but nothing with anything other than unsubstantiated claims. Actually, I've seen people claim that magnesium helps them sleep after adderall (as it does with most people not taking adderall) and people claiming that it potentiates adderall, even what could be left in the system at night. Again neither claim has been backed up.
I ask because I've recently realized I've gotten noticeably better sleep after adderall were nights that I've happened to have forgotten to take magnesium.
-By what method could magnesium (say, magnesium Glycinate) potentiate adderall? I'm looking for a solid scientific answer. I'm not asking about the effects it has on tolerance via NMDA receptors or anything of the sort.
-Would this effect still exist if one were to take the adderall by a ROA other than oral?
Thanks

I've seen similar threads but nothing with anything other than unsubstantiated claims. Actually, I've seen people claim that magnesium helps them sleep after adderall (as it does with most people not taking adderall) and people claiming that it potentiates adderall, even what could be left in the system at night. Again neither claim has been backed up.
I ask because I've recently realized I've gotten noticeably better sleep after adderall were nights that I've happened to have forgotten to take magnesium.
-By what method could magnesium (say, magnesium Glycinate) potentiate adderall? I'm looking for a solid scientific answer. I'm not asking about the effects it has on tolerance via NMDA receptors or anything of the sort.
-Would this effect still exist if one were to take the adderall by a ROA other than oral?
Thanks

Magnesium glycinate and other standard magnesium supplements are alkaline compounds. Since magnesium also functions as a calcium channel inhibitor/blocker (e.g., its inhibitory effect on the NMDA receptor calcium channel mitigates pharmacodynamic tolerance), it also serves as a muscle relaxant.

With that said, high-dose magnesium supplements wouldn't "potentiate" the effects of amphetamine, it would merely promote a longer half-life due to its alkalinity. Consuming something acidic would produce the opposite effect.
Magnesium's inhibition of calcium channels and subsequent muscle relaxant effect makes it useful for relieving amph-induced muscle tension and bruxism.

In order for magnesium to affect sleep patterns, it would need to produce an inhibitory effect on monoamine neurotransmission (specifically: dopamine, norepi, and histamine) in the reticular activating system or ventrolateral preoptic area; to my knowledge, it doesn't do so to any meaningful extent. So, in a nutshell, magnesium really doesn't function as a sleep aid.

Last edited:
I've found, much to my surprise and delight, that taking magnesium glycinate/chelated supplements every evening has caused a marked decrease in my superhigh tolerance to Adderall. For almost two decades, I've been high-dose prescribed (120mg IR/day) on amphetamine salts, making tolerance issues a damned enormous nuisance. To say the least. No, magnesium does not "potentiate" amphetamines, but for myself anyway, it does something far better than that-- it reins in stimulant tolerance.

I really don't know what would potentiate amphetamines other than the ol' baking soda or Tums 45 minutes prior to taking the meds thing, plus drinking like $20-worth sugarfree redbull all day long every day, but I personally am not seeking potentiation, not wanting to get all spun out and freaky-deaky high anymore. Trix are for kids. I just want my meds to keep working, and lo & behold, taking Magnesium glycinate has been working for me. I SURE wouldn't sing its praises if it weren't, or if it felt even vaguely placebo-y, being the hardcore skeptic that I am in regards to vitamins and supplements and homeopathic yada yada yada.

Oh and the magnesium *does* also help me sleep, so there's that, too. Which is nice.

I don't really think so, but I have no clue either. I don't believe baking soda helps potentiate amphetamines, either. Amphetamines are well absorbed with or without food and in an acidic or basic gastrointestinal environment, I think.

I don't really think so, but I have no clue either. I don't believe baking soda helps potentiate amphetamines, either. Amphetamines are well absorbed with or without food and in an acidic or basic gastrointestinal environment, I think.

wrong. ph plays a big part in absorption and excretion

I find that when I use magnesium supplements before doing amphetamines I have a lot less anxiety and the amphy seems to go easier on my heart. Whereas I'm someone who quickly gets panic attacks from all kinds of stims when I preload and postload with magnesioum supplements I can go a lot longer, and the high is improved as well. I mean it seems to last longer in your system.

wrong. ph plays a big part in absorption and excretion

Of course pH plays a big role in absorption and excretion of any drug, but I still don't think taking a couple of TUMS helps potentiate amphetamine's effects any. And I know food plays no role in the matter because I read it in the drug monograph. Also, and this might not be relevant, but I know oral freebase methamphetamine and oral methamphetamine.HCl are both highly active (MDMA too), indicating that absorption is not an issue in those cases.

Last edited:
Yes, but most people only take 2 or 3 TUMS beforehand and call it a day. That's really not a lot. I think you would have to do a lot more than that to raise your urine's pH level much. Anybody want to volunteer to take varying dosages of TUMS or not and then measure your urine's pH level?

I take 40mg/day of omeprazole, a fairly high dose of a strong proton pump inhibitor, and amphetamine's half life to me feels about like 9 hours, which is normal.

Why would calcium carbonate raise urinary pH? I don't think it's soluble enough to move through the body, is it?

That's what I'm saying. I don't think it does at the low dosages people commonly report taking here. The carbonate anion (CO3 2-) is slightly basic, though. That's why it's used to treat acid indigestion. I think the little bit of carbonate that makes it into the stomach is likely quickly neutralized by stomach acid, and as such, would not significantly raise urinary pH levels. I could be wrong, though; hence, the proposed experiment.

Last edited:
No when the Navy gave us "Go Pills" we were told it would make the stuff stay in our system longer. Alkaline stretches it out Acidity reigns it in. You can always drink your urine to get 1/2 again the value of the original prescription. If you are considering that suggestion check in to a rehab....

So then about five 250mg TUMS every hour, starting one hour before. Most people here haven't been taking nearly enough.

I just read a bottle of TUMS which said that each tablet contined 1000mg CaCO3 per tablet, so 1 to 2 of those every hour should suffice. However, I don't think people here have known to continue taking them for the duration of their high for best results.

Those doses were with Na2CO3 though, which is much more soluble. They also didn't try any smaller doses in that study, so smaller/less frequent doses might have similar effects

Last edited:
They might be, but I *highly* doubt one dose of whichever carbonate or bicarbonate salt--which is all most people currently take--is going to be equally effective as, say, 24 doses spread out hourly over 24 hours, for example. Also, if CaCO3 (TUMS) is not nearly as soluble in the human stomach as Na2CO3, then taking baking soda (NaHCO3) may be preferable.

This is, in my opinion, a really important finding and most likely confirms or will confirm my hunch that taking a couple of TUMS only once 45 minutes prior to amphetamine has no real amphetamine potentiating effect.

Last edited:
I'm not entirely sure about amphetamine but I know that with methylphenidate (ritalin/focalin) it prevents tolerance from rising, and potentiates. It's not like NMDA antagonists where it lowers tolerance by 10-15% but it does something.
Also be sure to take rolaids because they have both calcium and magnesium. Tums only have calcium I think.

When I potentiate with Tums, I take two 750 mg pills every half hour for at least two hours before the Adderall, then two more half an hour after. Sometimes I throw in an omeprazol an hour before for good measure too. I've noticed it helps the high come on faster. Personally, I always swear by the large-quantities-of-Tums method. I never take Adderall orally without Tums! Tastes way, way better than baking soda too...