View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

magic mushrooms and medication

KurdtKobane

Greenlighter
i want to try shrooms but i take focalin (dexmethylphenidate) an ADHD stimulant similar to ritalin. i also take lexapro (escitalopram). i was wondering what kind of things i should worry about when trying shrooms.

The stimulant shouldn't effect you but what is lexapro? Is that some kind of brain altering medication for depression?. If so it might effect youre trip.

Lexapro will block the effects of psychedelics including magic mushrooms. Stimulants should be avoided while on psychedelic trips aswelll as they induce heavy heart stress and psychological torment with thought loops etc. Lexapro will need to be weaned off them and cleaned off it for over two weeks to feel the effects of psychedelic drugs.

Ritalin won’t impact anything and the lexapro should be fine and shouldn’t block the effects.

It might dampen them somewhat but I have yet to talk to anyone that said it completely killed a psychedelic trip. Releasing agents are a different story though

Ritalin won’t impact anything and the lexapro should be fine and shouldn’t block the effects.

It might dampen them somewhat but I have yet to talk to anyone that said it completely killed a psychedelic trip. Releasing agents are a different story though

This.

I've tripped plenty of times on LSD and methylphenidate, and didn't have any issues. Except maybe overstimulation since psychedelics can be somewhat stimulating to begin with.

I would not encourage anyone to quit their SSRI to trip. Yeah, increased serotonin levels caused by antidepressant treatment seem to result in a higher baseline tolerance toward psychedelics, but so what? Unless your antidepressant also specifically blocks 5HT2a receptors (like trazodone, mirtazapine or the tricyclics do), you can trip just fine, it's just going to be slightly less intense... which you can compensate for anyway by taking a slightly higher dose of psychedelics.

The psychedelic experience is heavily affected by set and setting. Discontinuing an SSRI tends to cause temporary irritability (not to mention a potential relapse into depression in the long run), and a cranky/depressed mindset is much more likely to lead to a shitty experience than a slightly underwhelming dosage. Plus, some people tend to react more strongly to psychedelics than others, so if this is your first rodeo with shrooms, you might want to lowball the dose anyway.

This.

I've tripped plenty of times on LSD and methylphenidate, and didn't have any issues. Except maybe overstimulation since psychedelics can be somewhat stimulating to begin with.

I would not encourage anyone to quit their SSRI to trip. Yeah, increased serotonin levels caused by antidepressant treatment seem to result in a higher baseline tolerance toward psychedelics, but so what? Unless your antidepressant also specifically blocks 5HT2a receptors (like trazodone, mirtazapine or the tricyclics do), you can trip just fine, it's just going to be slightly less intense... which you can compensate for anyway by taking a slightly higher dose of psychedelics.

The psychedelic experience is heavily affected by set and setting. Discontinuing an SSRI tends to cause temporary irritability (not to mention a potential relapse into depression in the long run), and a cranky/depressed mindset is much more likely to lead to a shitty experience than a slightly underwhelming dosage. Plus, some people tend to react more strongly to psychedelics than others, so if this is your first rodeo with shrooms, you might want to lowball the dose anyway.
Totally agree. Discontinuing an SSRI for a shroom trip is counter to the intent. You’d be better off skipping the shrooms. Microdose as a trial if you want to be in full HR mode. I’ve shroomed on Lexapro. No problem. Disclaimer: One anecdotal experience, of course.

I can add to that that my girlfriend dropped LSD and MDMA for a candy flip two nights ago with me after being on Viibryd for 2 months and did not impact the experience of either compound.

Posted more about that in the MDMA forum

Must admit once a week mushrooms did me a lot more good than ssri's - the studies show ssris don't even work. Check out the serotonin myth of depression and johan haris "lost connections"

I can add to that that my girlfriend dropped LSD and MDMA for a candy flip two nights ago with me after being on Viibryd for 2 months and did not impact the experience of either compound.

Posted more about that in the MDMA forum

This is actually pretty interesting because Viibryd is not just an SSRI, but also a partial agonist at the "5HT1a" serotonin receptor.

I seem to recall reports on viibryd significantly diminishing the effects of shroom trips, which would make sense since psilocin also acts on 5HT1a in addition to 5HT2a (the latter being the primary receptor responsible for the psychotropic action of the classical psychedelics).