• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos lyrica questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

bluemonkey

Bluelighter
my aunt ( real aunt not swim or another cover up), the mom of my cousins, james ( on subs) and josh ( the one i posted about my first week on BL who died by taking someone elses oxycoton), just got a Lyrica RX for back pain, and the Dr told her it's not habit forming. However, just from the effects she descibed it sounds like a benzo. Is it? also, is it habit forming? I think her dr is full of BS. is my charolten-o-meter right? thanks

Its less habit forming oxycodone directly interacts in a way with reward centers in the brain in clear well defined mechanisms. Lyrica is a downer and anything can be habit forming and abused but i never felt much atless polydrug use and it was just another pill to make me feel weird

Im on methadone maintainance and had my benzos cut off because of being on done well they substituted it with lyrica and i can say its kinda habit forming. I feel the need to take more thwn prescribed. I get panic attacks without it (which is why im on it in the first place) but an extra symptom takes place without them that doesnt normally happen and that is i get agoraphobic, like i get scared to leave the house. Its fucked. So yes it very well can be habit forming.

I could see how it could be habit forming if you have panic attacks.

Basically from what i remember it did something on my brain and i didnt take much so anything that you can feel some people can really like.

If you take around 500 i gives an intense dizziness similar to alcohol without thw neaseau and a mild not overpowering euphoria

Ya i think thats what i got but it was during a bad time and all i eeally remember was feeling f***d up when i took alot but you can see how bad my memory was because i can barely remember that time in my life i just remember i took alot of downers and have vague moments like pictures without a coherent memory l

Its absolutely habit forming if you take high doses daily. Takes longer than opiates to become physically dependent but most people that get hooked on it say the withdrawl is far worse than heroin.

The pharmaceutical sales rep told your doctor that its not habit forming, but it is.

I've been taking Lyrica (units various forms, e.g., Neurontin, Lyrica, etc.; all are pregabalin-based) since 3/1996 from having moderate to severe damage, impingement and/or herniated discs and/or vertebrae in the following locations: L2—4, inclusive; T4—7, inclusive; C2—6, inclusive, and stenosis of the sacrum, S2 & S3, and coccyxgeal ("tailbone") regions.

The pain accompanying this damage was searingly suicidal which was precisely how I described my pain. Aside from the graphics — which are typically presented to patients prior to each appointment; 1 = ? to 10 = ? — are laughable, at best and ineffectually disrespectful of the patient's condition, at worst.

In answer to your question, BlueMonkey, while I cannot reply as to the professionalism of your Aunt's Personal Care Physician (PCP), I am able to reply with regard to my individual experience — not a standard by which ALL should assign themselves — insofaras I am a 6' 9" 350lb. white male; make adjustments, accordingly.

In the 20 +/- years that I have taken pregabalin (Lyrica for at least 10), there have been many occasions when I was either unable to have prescribed in time, have filled in time, forgotten, lost or have had someone steal my medicine. On each occasion — which would last one week, or more — I have NEVER felt withdrawal from Lyrica, a craving for Lyrica, or a need to replace Lyrica with another pregabalin substitute.

As to the matter of prescribing Lyrica for "back pain," there is insufficient information provided. In regards to my — individual case — I can say that if the pain is in relation to muscle spasms/cramping (something that our muscles often innately do when a given region of the spine feels, for lack of a better word, "threatened,") Soma (a muscle relaxer) is, for me, a better alternative. If, however, your Aunt's nervous system is "misfiring," and sending false neurological pain signals to a region of her back, then, in my experience s/he is correct in prescribing Lyrica.

In regards to your question about Lyrica possibly being classified a benzodiazepine, please know that it is an entirely different pharmacological drug group.

As I mentioned before, Bluemonkey, Lyrica is "Pregabalin" which, along with cornstarch, talc (why on EARTH one needs to add pulverized/powdered STONE as a filler is beyond me) and lactose monohydrate, as inactive ingredients, in the form your Aunt is taking, should not be habit forming. As with all things in life, I: 1) MONITOR, observe if the dosage is calming your Aunt's neurological "firestorms," as I describe them, and request that her PCP increase/decrease your Aunt's dosage, accordingly; 2) MODERATE: the amount your Aunt has been prescribed was done for a reason by a highly-educated professional. While I realize it is tempting to pull out the "Charlatan-o-Meter" (I'm stealing THAT ONE, BTW ?, as even I want to on occasion) it's important that your Aunt WRITE one page of BULLETIZED notes BEFORE she visits her PCP, or ANY medical professional, for that matter, BlueMonkey. Output is ONLY as good as the INPUT. MOST physicians have only 15 MINUTES allowed for EACH PATIENT.

Bear in mind that, in addition to patient appointments, your Aunt's PCP may make hospital rounds, meet with (Lyrica) pharmacology ? sales people, attend practice meetings (it is, after all, a business), hospital board meetings and, yes, MANY also TEACH! So, BlueMonkey, work with your Aunt to prepare her for her next "INPUT" PCP appointment/"doctor's visit."

Lastly, please accept my heartfelt sympathy over the loss of your cousin, Josh. I also take 80mg of Oxycontin and 30mg of Oxycodone (which ARE addictive substances and MAY be abused). I don't judge others, just myself, and have seen and read about many people, mostly young, dying the abuse of Fentany, Opana, Oxycontin, Oxycodone, and their ilk. Their really isn't much one can do when their medication is pilfered (pun unintended). I keep mine in a safe and recommend others do the same. It's not foolproof, because nothing really is BlueMonkey; it simply adds another layer of deterrence which, depending on the age of the person who is NOT supposed to have the drug, may be all that is needed. I will add Josh to my prayers, when I pray for the people I know who succumbed to temptation and, like a slippery slope, harmed themselves and grieved others who loved them dearly.

I apologize, BlueMonkey, for this very long and, most certainly, boring reply. Hopefully, it helped you, and your Aunt. Best to you!

Bluemonkey, Pregabalin/Lyrica is defenately habit forming. The longer a person has been on it, I recommend a slow taper.
Don't steal. pills!
It is related in a way, but not quite a benzo. In Europe it is used for anxiety.

My condolences for your loss.

Depending on how you take it, IMO, depends on its subjective feeling. A lighter dose may be similar to a benzo for you. On the higher end of the dosing range, I have found it to be numbing like opiates to a point, but it doesn't touch a real opiate.

I have 3 buldging disks in my back. In the 150 mg - 300 mg range, it is pretty effective. I've been on it for years at various dosages'and it still works fine. I however require up to the maximum daily dosage of 600 mg for pain.

Withdrawal can suck, but if taken therapeutically, you can withdrawal in a week, but I prefer a month for myself and those who take higher dosages, for longer lengths of time, including those who cannot handle fast withdrawal or whatever the reason.

Remember, it is completely habit forming, depending on how it is used. If you use it correctly, you should have no problems.

My dad takes it everyday and i couldnt see him doing more than 1 beer let alone pills. So i think it is important for somepeople they can take it without spiraling out and taking the bottle with a bottle of jack.just not me.

thank for all the answers. my cousin took his best friend's oxycoton ( his friend was a cancer patient) Josh was opiate niave as far as we know. He just took like 2 from the bottle. so yeah don't mess with other people's rxs.

Status
Not open for further replies.