L O V E +
    R E L A T I O N S H I P S

❤️ Welcome Guest! ❤️

Posting Guidelines Bluelight Rules
  • SLR Moderators: axe battler | xtcgrrrl | arrall

Lying all the time

KitCat

Greenlighter
Help me figure this out. I couldn't decide whether to post here on in the dark side.

I've been in a relationship with this guy for 12 years, married for almost 5. About 15mths ago he started nagging me to get my head checked by a doctor, saying he thinks I'm going crazy because I was experiencing some insomnia which is not unusual for me. I generally just deal with it and it passes after a while. The constant nagging though, planted seed of doubt and I was wondering if I was truly going manic again. So I visited our general practitioner and had a chat to him about whether my insomnia should be medicated. We agreed that maybe it should be if it gets worse but in that case I should make another appt and come back. To me this meant the doc wasn't particularly concerned about my mental state.
Two weeks after that my hubby went to the doc for something else and came back saying the doc was asking him how messed up I am and how concerned he is about me having bipolar and going manic. I thought that's serious breach of privacy from a doctor for disclosing I have seen him and discussing diagnosis with my husband. I discussed this with my husband and he agreed that he thinks doc shouldn't have done it and he breached my privacy and professional standards etc. So I lodged a formal complaint and got quite upset that a doctor would go and discuss this with my husband instead of calling me to come back for another appointment if he was so concerned.

However, turns out my husband flat out lied to me and it wasn't the doctor who initiated discussion about me being crazy. My husband actually went to the doctor and in an attempt to get benzos prescribed under the pretence that they are for me he basically told the doc I'm completely crazy. 8( His plot did not succeed and he didn't get the meds. I was left red faced because I lodged the complaint and falsely accused the doctor. I was utterly embarrassed and had a huge argument with my husband about his blatant lies and more lies to cover it up and denial when presented with facts. He promised never to lie to me or anyone else again about matters that can have serious consequences to my reputation e.g. I could have been visited by police, held for mental assessment etc. All over attempt to squeeze a script for benzos from the doc.

Several months pass and my husband is trying to get some friends to get scripts from doctors overseas and bring them to Australia in personal luggage, he does the same thing with his mother and father etc. In the end the friends really did manage to bring to packets of xanax with them.

Fast forward another couple of months we were visiting family overseas and his mum organised more xanax for him. Then some common older friends asked to meet me for a cup of coffee in the city and as we shook hands to greet each other this dude hands me over another two boxes of xanax. Those were supplied by his dad and this guy was just acting as courier. I'm confused and I put them in my purse. When I got home I checked them and there was a piece of paper taped on the boxes with handwriting from my father in law saying "Dear xxx, these are for my dear daughter in law, hope she gets better." Basically I lost my plot again, not so much because I think this consumption of benzos is excessive but because it was clear that he told his father a lie, something along the lines of me being mental and needing meds and his father then went to his doctor to obtain prescription. He lied to his father about me and his father then subsequently unknowingly lied to his doctor to get the script. I'm not cool with that, pop the xanax but really no need to use me as an excuse to source them please. Had a huge argument with my husband again about the no-nos of lying in a relationship as this undermines the basic trust that has to exist for healthy relationship. He responded with anger when outed and then he kept apologising and promising he'll never do it again.

This saga is now some 15 months old. About 10 days ago my husband said he thinks he's coming down with flu and he's been "sick" on the couch, cranky etc. I figure out it's not the flu but some sort of withdrawals/comedown and he said he's been taking some oxycodone in December and he now ran out of it. To my knowledge he wasn't taking much. I thought he gets an occasional no-repeats script from his doctor for pain caused by an accident and I'm aware that he gets a few pills here and there, maybe from some friends or buys it off the internet. Didn't think this occasional extra use would cause withdrawals though. Hubby also says he didn't take much of oxycodone but was supplementing it with some panadol with codeine. :| So his admission of how much he's using etc starts getting a bit fishy and I'm thinking okay he might be having some mild withdrawals no big deal, generally he's taking these tablets for legit pain (or so I thought), he'll be sick for a few days at most.

Indeed he was feeling off for about two days, had a bit of insomnia, restlessness, was generally cranky, complained of nausea etc. Then he went back to work for about 2 days and then worked few days from home office. One day he's all over the house, doing work, keeps coming to my office and generally seems weird and aggressive in demeanour and chewing excessively. Didn't think much of it, just that maybe his clients are giving him a hard time.

Two days ago I notice his office bin is full so I go to empty it and I sort rubbish into recyclable and general waste. I find empty blister packs, some weird envelopes, one that says agricultural product, spores, sterile & apply immediately upon opening. Agricultural product, free sample?! The fuck?! So I search his office and find a whole stash of pharmaceuticals, 3 different types of opiate meds, ativan, valium, temazepam, some powdery stuff in bagies (might have been there from a long time ago), more suspicious envelopes. Duh, ordering stash off the internet, obviously and hiding it from me. He offered me some of those temazepam tablets in December and he told me he got them from the doctor. Then he offered me some more just a few days and I asked if he got more from the doctor but he said they were from his coworker. It's not exactly that I was buying that story but I'm confused as to why he thinks he needs to lie about the source to me.

So I do inventory of all his stuff and put it away. Decide to wait till he gets home and figures out I know and we can talk about it then. He comes home wired as hell, goes straight to his office and tries to find his hidden stash which wasn't there any more. He asks if I went through his stuff and I say yes, would you like to discuss it. Lets just say he wasn't willing to talk rationally about it. Told him I figured out he's been ordering all sorts of pharmaceuticals off the internet and hiding it from me, lying where I asked questions relating to consumption etc. I'm not particularly bothered by recreational use of drugs but this seemed to cross the line into chaotic use and that's where I got worried. Only more lies came out of his mouth, attempts to cover up e.g. the envelopes went to a friend not to our home address which is clearly not the case because address was on the envelope.

So basically what's been happening recently is some sort of withdrawal/comedown from opiates/benzos, subsequent pick me up in the form of unknown stimulant and some more benzos to soothe the nerves.

So now I'm wondering... do you think he's lying cause he has a problem with substances or just in general because the trust in relationship is broken down to the point where he'll just generally continue to lie to me out of lack of respect? Any advice as to how I should proceed?

Sorry about the long post.

With that quantity and variety of drugs, I'd say they have a significant effect on his mental and emotional state. The drug use could be to cover up other underlying issues he is having. Find a gentle way to get to the deeper issue......if there is one. Just say that you're worried about him if you truly care.

Sorry, have to run, but will get back to this thread.

i'm sorry to hear this although most likely, it's only going to make things much worse by taking his medicine that he is obviously dependent on from him... i personally don't think you should be withholding these things from him. if he has a benzo addiction he could go into really bad withdrawals that could very much pose a risk to his health and safety as i'm sure you know? i don't think taking the stuff away is going to do anything besides piss him off more, create more lying in all aspects, as well as possibly force him to lie and do whatever sketchy thing he may have to do in order to obtain the medicines he's been using since it sounds as if he's definitely physically dependent on them.

i don.t have much to offer aside from what i have said and i truly hope you have thought your actions through. i understand it must be frustrating and you don't want him to be using because he's been lying and such, but it crosses a certain line when it puts an addict at risk. health wise, emotionally and also may cause him to do something harmful and stupid to get the drugs he needs. i don't know if you have experience with addiction and physical dependency, but this is where i would say to rethink your actions if you are hiding his stuff from him. it's not very humane IME to punish someone in that way.

i do hope the best for both of you. he obviously has a problem and it seems as though you are taking his problem personally which will get you nowhere, this most likely has nothing at all to do with the love you two have together and moreso he is ruled by dependency of some strong and various drugs. you can't play the part of the boss here, it's best to discuss things civilly and be understanding, if you can, since you guys have been together for so long.

addicts will lie. it is nothing new or surprising. i hope you both get the help you need to recover from this all. i'm so sorry you have been lied to and caught up in this mess with your husband. he needs you more than you know right now, IMO.

hopefully my comment was helpful and you rethink trying to save him by hiding his stuff.

I actually thought about consequences of restricting his access to pharmaceuticals as I'm well aware that withdrawal from benzos can be fatal. However, I can assure you he's not taking a dose that would result in anything more than mild to moderate physical discomfort in case he's physically dependant on benzos in addition to oxycodone. Yes, it can be fatal but for that to happen or other serious form of withdrawal such as delirium/psychosis he'd need to be taking much much higher doses.

I thought about this very carefully over the last two days and my conclusion is that he's definitely displaying addictive behaviours but more in the psychological sense that he wants to be comforted by pharmaceuticals. I took inventory, put all pills in a bottle and put it away as an attempt at starting the dialogue in non-confronting way. I didn't want to go straight to his face and start nagging about all those pills he had in the office, starting a heated argument. The idea was that he'd notice I went through his stash so I'm obviously aware of all the stuff he had (no point in attempting to further cover up), he can continue taking them but I want an open discussion about the extent of non-prescribed use and some form of a plan for how he intends to get himself out of this mess because he is clearly miserable in his current position.

He went on 10-day holidays to New Zealand this morning BTW. I decided not to go along because this is perpetuating fallacy of normality that is doing my head in. He'll be fine, I'm sure, pursuing his healthy hobby, visiting places and spending time outdoors. Fancy hotels and cabrio rental car all booked, bless him. I'd ruin his holidays if I went along because there's no way I could pretend things are in perfect order.

I think he fell into a trap after his accident 2 years ago. He crashed his motorcycle and sustained several fractures. Was off work for 2 months in very bad pain, then gradually went back to work but his fractures were such that it couldn't be put in cast it just had to be semi-immobilised and took months to heal. During that time he was scripted quite a lot of endone (oxycodone), then he had surgery 9 months later because his fractures didn't heal the way they should, so more time off work and more pain killers and persistent inflammation. Beyond the pain he suffered for several months and he still occasionally suffers when performing certain activities, I think he's also very frustrated with his new mobility impairment which I'm pretty sure will be permanent. He's a guy in late 30's facing a lifetime of certain restrictions. We had to sell motorbikes, I can't imagine him scuba diving ever again (just not able to carry equipment on his back), lifting heavy weights, his posture is crooked due to muscle waste - something he's probably self-conscious about if shirtless etc. So lots of thing to ruminate about but on the other hand he also needs to look on the bright side - we're well off, he still has a very good job, we have a nice house, two cabrio cars as replacement for motorbikes, we can afford holidays in exotic places, we can hire gardeners, handymen whatever. We can take life easy.

Beyond taking oxycodone for his physical pain I think it also helped with the psychological frustration in the sense that opiates make you feel pleasant and it may not seem so bad if you occasionally take a few extra. You take a pill and you feel good for at least a day, helps with the pain and also gives a sense of mental wellbeing. But it's a dangerous path to walk I think, one that constricts your toolkit of self-soothing methods to just popping a pill every time something bothers you. I think that's what he reduced himself to. And I can certainly empathise with his situation because I had my own issues too and for years I felt miserable and helpless until I accepted that yeah, I have bipolar and that's a shitty thing mother nature gave me. I was taking all sorts of medications... lithium, fuckton of antipsychotics, some addictive too (benzos) and my life seemed to revolve around managing medication but never being truly content with my life. I then gradually ditched all mind-altering medications and just figured out other ways to make myself happy but I accept that there will be periods when I'm not so well but expecting 100% solution from meds is just unrealistic despite the wonders medicine does these days. I'm calmer these days, I don't like to dwell on dissatisfaction, I prefer to articulate if something bothers me, I shift gears in life to suit my current mood & ability, I don't need to pursue excesses etc. But I need some stability in life to make me feel ensured that when challenges come I'm able to deal with them. I'd find it difficult to live with an addict and a household full of substances, it would drag me back to that allure of fixing daily issues with tablets. I could totally be that valium-popping housewife. I prefer to keep my relationship with drugs such that I get high maybe 2-3 times a year, deal with the terrible Tuesday and call it a good party, definitely not habitual use.

I think you're right and I took his substance issues too personally. I don't want to play the role of the enabler, like I said, I need stability in life and that means being honest with myself and those closest to me. I don't like to get too emotionally entangled with myself so now presented with my husband's issues that just screams entanglement with someone else's dysfunctional behaviour. Ugh... if I empathise with his issues and take everything at face value I'll drag myself down, if I don't I'm a cold-hearted bitch. It's almost like I'm the one using drugs to fix myself.

OP- you're actually pretty clever and insightful. yeah his drug use has spiralled but that doesn't mean it cannot be solved.

having got off both poppies/tramadol and zopiclone/etizolam it can be done.

underlyingly all this his chronic pain is an issue and trigger and not being able to excercise means he cannot get his endorphin fix which is something that if you come off the opiates will need to be addressed. weed can help with pain but will massively exacerbate a benzo withdrawl so he needs another alternative while getting off that horrible shit.

might be easier to get off the benzo's while still on opiates. personally i found beno withdrawal truly awful and opiate withdrawal unpleaseant if not tapered but very easy when you taper properly. i'd get the hard bit out of the way first.

i'd be very happy to have a wife as clever and open minded as you. just bear with him for now cos he will snap out of it at some point. but keep him aware that it needs to change.

benzo addicts end up having stims cos they mong you out too much sometimes and it can be a depressing feeling being mashed on benzo's

I think his drug of choice was actually opiates and weed. Last year after his surgery he was on pain pump for a few days and saying he's still feeling physical pain but feels quite happy. And then the doctors were quite script happy for about 4-5 months and he spend his days nodding off on the couch, taking endones and smoking weed. It was a weird period, like he'd be totally hazy most of the time, not remember shit, watched entire seasons of TV shows and not comprehend the storyline. Like game of thrones... watched it so many times I knew all the dialogues by heart from hearing it in the background. We're talking about a guy who's highly intelligent and needs to be on the ball at work and I have no idea how he pulled it off.

He completely stopped smoking weed around July I think. I was pleased with that but LOL... looks like weed was just replaced with benzos. Some false sense of security going on there, thinking that benzos are safer than weed because they are pharmaceuticals.

I calmed down, processed the situation to the point where I see it's not all black. I can see he realises he has a problem but tries to rationalise it to himself. First night when I told him I know consumption is over the top he tried to rationalise it by saying he feels to constricted by not being allowed to take anything, that he wants to be able to pop a pill here and there. But I told him it's clearly not a fun experience if he needs to then take stimulants to function at work and then take benzos to recover from stimulants. He was fuming that I'm restricting him by not allowing him any fun etc. Next day he came around and said he realises that pattern is concerning... duh, at least that. I guess that's the game we'll play, point out the obvious, expect verbal retort, wait for realisation to sink in.