• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Lurasidone (Latuda) Question

Blue~Cloud

Greenlighter
Hello,

I was wondering if Lurasidone has efficacy in treating severe racing thoughts, paranoia, and delusional ideation. After various google searches, I'm still uncertain about this medications effects. Are there any additional benefits or drawbacks?

Here are the pharmacodynamics:

Lurasidone acts as an antagonist of the following sites:[5]
α2C-adrenergic receptor (Ki = 10.8 nM)
D2 receptor (Ki = 1.0 nM)
5-HT2A receptor (Ki = 0.5 nM)
5-HT7 receptor (Ki = 0.5 nM)
And as a partial agonist of the following sites:[5]
5-HT1A receptor (Ki = 6.8 nM)
Note: All values are rounded to the nearest tenth.
It has only weak or negligible actions at the 5-HT2C, α1-adrenergic, H1, and mACh receptors.[5]
[edit]

Thank you,

Blue Cloud

The short answer is yes, it does

Latuda is (I think) the most recently discovered atypical anti-psychotic. It treats the psychotic symptoms of bi-polar disorder and schizophrenia, which you described. I found different affinities, and from its site: http://www.latudahcp.com/receptor-binding-profile.html

nevertheless both say it works more strongly on 5-HT2a than at D2. Usually its the other way around.

Lurasidone_structure.svg

Here is a picture of the chemical structure of luraisdone. Does anyone else know what the various pieces of the structure do? Like, how does it vary compared to a lot of atypical anti-psychotics in terms of effects? Thanks!

If I were you I´d stick with a more established antipsychotic. Lurasidone just seems to be just another atypical, nothing special, and long-term safety and efficacy is not known.

You might even want to try a typical such as haloperidol or pimozide. these two are less sedating then the atypicals and if you don´t get any movement disorders or acathisia from them I´d consider them a better choice.

Atypicals with a relatively good track record are olanzapine and risperidone, and then there's clozapine if nothing else works.

If I were you I´d stick with a more established antipsychotic. Lurasidone just seems to be just another atypical, nothing special, and long-term safety and efficacy is not known.

You might even want to try a typical such as haloperidol or pimozide. these two are less sedating then the atypicals and if you don´t get any movement disorders or acathisia from them I´d consider them a better choice.

Atypicals with a relatively good track record are olanzapine and risperidone, and then there's clozapine if nothing else works.
Haloperidal and risperdal cause secondary negative effects because they bind stronger to DA then dopamine, lurasidone has a clean mechanism and is pretty selective ans better then older ap's, in rodents it also seems to be more effective in rodents.

They are more likely to cause movement disorders as you need more D2 antagonism for them to be effective (sero antagonism makes it so you need lower doses.)
In clinical studies, lurasidone alleviates positive symptoms (e.g., hallucinations, delusions) without inducing extrapyramidal side effects except for akathisia,[4] despite its potent D2 antagonistic actions. Effectiveness against negative symptoms of schizophrenia has yet to be established.
Lurasidone may be useful for treating the cognitive and memory deficits seen in schizophrenia. In animal studies, it reversed dizocilpine-induced learning and memory impairment and was found to be superior in doing this to all of the other antipsychotics examined, including risperidone, olanzapine, quetiapine, clozapine, aripiprazole, and haloperidol.[5][6] Lurasidone has activity at several serotonin receptors that are involved in learning and memory, and unlike most other antipsychotics, lacks any anticholinergic effects (which are known to impair cognitive processes and memory).[5] These properties may underlie its improved effectiveness in treating these symptoms relative to older agents.[5]

Lurasidone acts as an antagonist of the following sites:[5]
α2C-adrenergic receptor (Ki = 10.8 nM)
D2 receptor (Ki = 1.0 nM)
5-HT2A receptor (Ki = 0.5 nM)
5-HT7 receptor (Ki = 0.5 nM)
And as a partial agonist of the following sites:[5]
5-HT1A receptor (Ki = 6.8 nM)
Note: All values are rounded to the nearest tenth.
It has only weak or negligible actions at the 5-HT2C, α1-adrenergic, H1, and mACh receptors.[5]
(it wont wot cause sedation)

In addition to the previous symptoms I've forementioned, (delusional ideation, racing thoughts, paranoia etc). I've had issues with ocd, attention, and GAD such as (agoraphobia). I'm wondering if Latuda will exacerbate any of these other conditions? Does lowering D2 really cause attention issues and social anxiety? I've also been experiencing intermittent panic attacks, so I don't want Latuda to make them worse. Furthermore, would Latuda increase obsessive thinking or compulsive behavior?

Also, I forgot to mention that I'm adding this medication to Lexapro 10mg and ativan 3mg a day, although there are no indications of negative interactions amongst the three.

As always, I realize that medication is one variable in the larger equation of mental health. I'm including psychotherapy, psychoanalysis, exercise, diet, meditation, and staying in school.

I'm not sure how long these aids will be needed, but I'm hoping to gather as much information on Latuda before I begain administration.

Thanks for any further responses.

In addition to the previous symptoms I've forementioned, (delusional ideation, racing thoughts, paranoia etc). I've had issues with ocd, attention, and GAD such as (agoraphobia). I'm wondering if Latuda will exacerbate any of these other conditions? Does lowering D2 really cause attention issues and social anxiety? I've also been experiencing intermittent panic attacks, so I don't want Latuda to make them worse. Furthermore, would Latuda increase obsessive thinking or compulsive behavior?

This is an antipsychotic. Asking what you asked in your last question is like saying "Would a strong sedative make insomnia worse?". It's a drug specifically designed to stop those kinds of behavior. Blocking d2 does cause major attention issues due to it making you not care about anything, but I don't know about social anxiety.

This is an antipsychotic. Asking what you asked in your last question is like saying "Would a strong sedative make insomnia worse?". It's a drug specifically designed to stop those kinds of behavior. Blocking d2 does cause major attention issues due to it making you not care about anything, but I don't know about social anxiety.

I was refering to either diminishing or increasing the symptoms of other mental disorders in addition to my original symtpoms I listed. So its not as straightforward. Perhaps your sentiment is fueled more by the mentality that only personal experience will really answer these questions.

Antipsychotics dramatically increase my OCD wich is also reported on pubmed (several cause reports), 5HT2A agonism is far better also D2 agonism can be beneficial (there's hypoactivity of both in OCD and indeed both treshold psychedelics doses (anecdotal) and amphetamine (in one study) help it.

Amphetamines completely reverse my ocd, not just supress or care about it less like most stuff for it.

Seroquel (and other anecdotes) report an increase in anxiety, but it helps others depending on the neurochemical cause.

"I was refering to either diminishing or increasing the symptoms of other mental disorders in addition to my original symtpoms" you may became very submissive (they block 5HT2A wich plays a role in social dominance togheter with 5HT2C, less assertive, appear cold (lack of facial emotional expressions, increased anxiety and ocd increased anhedonia.

not for everyone but thats the worst case scenaria.

Long term use is also neurotixic to the brain.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, there is only negligible activity at the 5HT2C site. If I continue taking the medication, I will remain at the lowest possible dose (20mg). After taking it for two days, I was able to write two pages of an academic paper which has been troubling point the past couple years in general.

Anyways, thats disconcerting to hear that it is neurotoxic, how can this be prescribed if it is neurotoxic? Needless to say, I'll keep an eye on the symptoms you mentioned and be careful. Obviously, I wouldn't want to increase any of the current problems.

Before writing off Latuda though, I'd appreciate some Empirical evidence that confirms your hypotheses.

Please don't write off medications based on the pharmacological connections of anyone on this site. One, we are not doctors. Two, blocking this or that receptor can yield varying results; its not so clear cut. Three, psychiatrists operate based on more of an art than a science. They don't know a lot of pharmacology but are aware of what works for the majority of the population.

Also, don't trust any conjecture without proof. This nuerotoxicity thing, in essence. Let me also say that essentially any drug can be labeled as such if used enough.

Here are some: http://psychrights.org/states/alaska/CaseXX/3AN-08-493PS/JacksonOnNLtoxicity.pdf, http://www.cchrflorida.org/blog/antipsychotics-damage-the-brain/, http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S014976341200125X

However, this: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18367441

Now! Please take this with a grain of salt. The question is not "do anti-psychotics cause brain damage?", with the "yes" answer leading to suddenly stopping the medication. The question is, "how much do they damage the brain?", with the answer being compared with how much happier would your life be on anti-psychotics. A cost-benefit analysis, no doubt.

It sounds like Latuda really helped you out.

But to answer your question, corporations, the manufacturer of Latuda, are money-makers, especially in this day and age. The government is supposed to protect you, not corporations. Corporations by-and-lanrge don't care about your health; they care about money. The government is the entity that is supposed to care about your health. It was a collaborative effort that ultimately brought Latuda to the market.

Lurasidone is currently pending approval for bipolar, and I assume it will get it. It is by far the best atypical antipsychotic as far as lack of side effects go. I am prescribed it off-label. I was mis-diagnosed as bipolar after an episode of caffeine-induced psychosis (5g daily for months is not a good idea, FYI).

Great trip-stopper also. You can pop a lurasidone 80mg during a trip and be able to drive home 20 minutes later.

I only take 10mg of Latuda and I feel a little irritable and anxious. I am uncertain what is environmental and what is chemical. Has anyone else noticed increased anxiety or irritability?

What a weird drug: it's like half-way between an atypical anti-psychotic and mirtazapine.

ebola