View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

LSD Long-Term Storage & Potency

asozial0

Greenlighter
Hey guys i know this question has been asked a few times but I only see what not to do to ruin the acid, as opposed to maximising its life and potency. So theoretically and chemically speaking, should there be any loss in quality/potency or and degradation in the LSD-25 compound itself if it was stored in a form of alcohol (like vodka) and kept in a "cool, dark place" (refrigerator) out of direct sunlight? Would the alcohol somewhat "freeze" the chemical so it would stay stable until it got into contact with heat and sunlight, or does LSD just continually degrade from natural elements and these precautions only slow that process? If so, what would be the ideal and realistic way of storing LSD for years? Im trying to learn more about the nature of the stability of LSD and hope these question lead to an informative discussion.

Many thanks

until those with more detail turn up, I can be pretty sure that provided your LSD remains well away from damp, heat & light, it should be fine. Even a tab stashed in a bedside draw from 20 years would probably be fine. Having said that, I have no idea how a solution of LSD & vodka, for instance, might fair. There is an infamous LSD fable about a vial of Sandoz liquid LSD that got lost down the back on a cupboard draw in the 50's or something & was rediscovered & actually opened & tested by many LSD afficiondo's at some psychedelic conference many decades later. The LSD was declared to be just as good as the day it was made. I have no idea of the nature of the solution though.

https://www.erowid.org/chemicals/lsd/lsd_article2.shtml

Is it liquid acid that you've got or blotter?

If it's blotter - keep it wrapped in tin foil somewhere dark and cool (room temp will be fine) and it will be fine long after you're dead. There is the idea of putting in the freezer but I'd only do that if you can fill the glass jar with a gas like argon - otherwise blotter tends to absorb the moisture from the freezer air.

I think the idea that LSD degrades is an urban myth - it's an incredibly stable compound and I'm sure any acid or al-lad we buy today will be potent long after both us, our children and our grandchildren are long dead.

Im talking about liquid acid dissolved in vodka. Nice to hear that LSD is more stable than what were told - I had a feeling that all the people talking as if LSD was extremely delicate were just repeating something they've heard cause they all say the same line.

Si Ingwe: Thanks for that link, very interesting.

Would be interested in any more links/sources about the stability of LSD

I think al-lad was the most striking potency myth - when it first came out it was sold as "must be kept in freezer or will become inactive". Then after about 18 months at room temperature with absolutely no loss in potency people started thinking "hmmm...". I think we'll be coming up to 2 years next spring with zero loss in potency.