• Find All Reports by Search Term
    Find Reports
    Find Tagged Reports by Substance
    Substance Category
    Specific Substance
    Find Reports
  • Trip Reports Moderator: Xorkoth

(LSD/liquid) - technique - Reclaiming LSD from dry vials/proper storage of liquid vials.

HeadphonesandLSD

Bluelighter
I saw a thread recently asking about small vials of LSD losing the volume of liquid contained within after being stored for months/years at room temperature or in the refrigerator. I never got around to replying to the thread so I'll write about my experience here.

Sometime in 2018: Bought vial of LSD from local source.
Sometime in 2020: Decide to take LSD with friend. Upon getting bottle from where I had stored it discovered all the liquid was gone.

I had stored the vial within a wooden box in a climate controlled area (room temperature) for two years. The liquid contained within was very strong. I had taken two doses from the bottle and felt no need to go further than two drops. Obviously, I wanted to reclaim the LSD. Cracking open the vial and licking it was not an option because there were at least 30-40 hits contained within.

What I ended up doing was using a 1cc syringe to draw up a small amount of 151 rum. I placed this within the vial, put the dropper/lid on as tight as possible, and swirled the alcohol within the vial so it go to every last surface. Once it settled I drew up some of the alcohol into the dropper, squirted it back into the vial, repeated this process several times, and stored the vial away in the freezer.

Later that same day I got the vial back out, shook it, and used the dropper to lay some liquid on sweettart candies. My friend and I took one drop each and estimated we'd taken somewhere between 100-150mcg. We had a fun day at the museum. We took more out of this same bottle on several occasions over the course of 2020 and 2021. I still have 20 or so hits left.

To avoid the liquid evaporating off again I store it in the freezer. I wrapped the vial tightly with a plastic bag and I store that inside of a large medicine bottle. I have not noticed any loss of liquid since storing the vial this way. It seems very stable and I'm sure if I left it in there for another 10 years I would come back to active LSD contained within the 151 rum.

In my experience as long as a vial is not stored in direct sunlight or subjected to high temperature for long periods of time it will remain stable. This particular batch I have now was actually so strong I went back and diluted it with a little more rum to make dosing easier. I also have sweettart candies pre-dosed that are wrapped in tin-foil and stored inside plastic baggies in my freezer. They are made with one-two drops of the pre-diluted 151 rum/LSD mixture. I have given a few of them out over the last few months after storing them that way for nearly a year. Everyone has said they were borderline to strong.

Hopefully whoever that guy is with the bone dry vial will see this.

Last edited:
The important things to take away from this:

1) Those small plastic vials people sell LSD in these days are not air-tight. You need to wrap it in something or at least store it inside something air-tight for long term storage
2) The refrigerator actively pulls moisture out of anything you place in it. Its job is to dry the air to help keep food items fresh longer. You need a barrier between your vial and this environment
3) The freezer should only be used for storage if the LSD is contained within high proof alcohol. Low proof alcohol and water would freeze and cause you more problems.
4) Try to be mindful if your LSD is stored in distilled water or alcohol. Water is a really bad idea even if it's distilled in my opinion. You want 151-proof spirits.
5) LSD is more stable than people give it credit for. If you follow these two rules: keep out of direct light and don't mix with tap water. It will most likely be stable for as long as you're alive.

Be _very_ careful with cracking open vials and licking them. I've seen many people get in trouble with this. A dry vial can be re-hydrated with 151-proof alcohol two or three times and still produce strong trips (you may have to take more liquid of course). If you're licking a vial that formally contained LSD liquid expect to be taking 10+ doses at minimum. I don't know how it manages to hide so well but it does. Don't be greedy. A dry vial can probably get you and your two friends tripping pretty good.

All that said I do not really like storing or using LSD this way. I prefer tabs for long term storage and dosing. Liquid always has that danger of spilling it associated with it.

Thanks for this. I had the same thing happen, I bought a vial of 100 hits, took a few from it early on, and left it sitting in the fridge. Went back a year or so later and the liquid was nearly all gone. Next time I looked, it was bone dry. I can only surmise that the liquid slowly evaporated through the rubber stopper, which must be slightly porous/allow air exchange. At some point I suppose I'll try to redissolve it. Weird thing is I don't see any crystals on the sides of the bottle. Though I guess it would be maximum like 8 or 10mg in there, which if distributed evenly, would maybe not really be visible. I can't think of any sensible explanation for how the LSD would have somehow escaped the vial, and I know it wasn't bunk since I dosed some of it once. Seemed weaker than advertised but it was definitely LSD.

Weird thing is I don't see any crystals on the sides of the bottle. Though I guess it would be maximum like 8 or 10mg in there, which if distributed evenly, would maybe not really be visible. I can't think of any sensible explanation for how the LSD would have somehow escaped the vial, and I know it wasn't bunk since I dosed some of it once. Seemed weaker than advertised but it was definitely LSD.

Don't worry not seeing crystals is normal. All the LSD is still contained within that vial. Just re-hydrate as described and test a drop to gauge strength. If you're unsure where the level of liquid was at there is no problem with filling the vial back up nearly to the top. You're going to have to dilute the last 10-15 doses anyway if you want to get them out with the dropper. Those last 10 hits always fall below the level of the dropper in the vials I get.

You're right it escapes through the dropper. The seal between the rubber dome and the plastic cap isn't air-tight. Easily solved by wrapping the vial in a sandwich baggy.

Just make sure you use 151proof spirits. I would actually suggest Everclear for this if it was still available at 151proof in your state. I'm not sure if its come back but the only 151proof spirits I've seen lately are whatever rum I have now and Wild Turkey. I don't buy spirits very often so maybe Everclear is still available. The last few times I tried to buy some to make PJs with I couldn't find it in 151proof anymore. You could probably get away with lower proof spirits but they'll be less stable in long term storage.

Last edited:
I checked. The rum I have is Barcardi. Last time I went in the liquor store it was one of the few 151 proofs I saw. Everclear was banned here years ago because kids were dying (so they say). No idea if it's a regional thing or what but I've only seen it available as 90 proof since then. Bacardi was the least offensive (taste wise) spirit I could find. All the others were heavy bourbons. The rum isn't that bad. It doesn't leave a taste on candies and it isn't too horrible if you just drop the liquid directly on your tongue.

I got alcohol poisoning on Barcardi rum a long time ago and just the smell of it rolls my stomach. It's probably less offensive to others. If I can deal with it others shouldn't have any problems.

Around here we have 75% Everclear. Until recently we had 95%, but I guess they decided that was too strong, even though sometimes you want nearly pure ethanol.