• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

LSD and mild hypertention; safe to mix with beta-blockers?

pisspotnrock

Bluelighter
I plan on tripping today for the first time in 18 months since being diagnosed with hypertention.. my BP reads 145-155/80 unmedicated but drops down to 130/70 with my medication (I'm on atenolol 50mg)..

I dont know much about how LSD and beta-blockers react with what recepters but was just wanting to know, would it be advisable to consume the LSD as I have already taken the atenolol? in future, should I not take the atenolol when planning on tripping?

kinda urgent question.. thanks in advance guys

its not so much my BP Im worried about, its mixing beta-blockers (atenolol in this case) with LSD and the possible interactions..

also, does nitrous cause I spike in BP? as I was also planning on inhaling a fair amount of nitrous oxide :p

once again, thanks in advance

Nitrous itself may keep the BP normal or lower, but the decrease in oxygen can increase HR and cause arrhythmias and it might especially be relevant to people with a heart condition.

About beta blockers, these are posts from other, old threads - you can find them using the search function, the google-bluelight function on the top left is great - ;) :

there should not be any problems. there are some people who use betablockers to ease anxiety during comeups or trips of various chems, because they lower blood pressure (and thus have a seemingly calming effect). if im not mistaken, lsd and metoprolol act on different receptors anyway so they shouldnt cause any problems.
take care if you have other patologies associated though, as betablockers can lessen the symptoms of some diseases

best of luck

(apparently the word 'not' was missing as a typo, if we look at the context / rest of the post)

I'm prescribed Propranolol for anxiety disorder, and I've taken it with LSD without any problem at all. It doesn't hinder the effects either in my opinion - like benzos do. I have also combined with MDMA and experienced no problems either, my dose is also 80mg.

So background info: combining beta blockers with stimulants is generally warned against because it can throw off the balance between alpha and beta adrenoceptor activity.

1) LSD, not belonging to the stimulant class, does has some affinity for both alpha and beta adrenoceptors (adrenaline receptors in your body), but not high affinity. I think the way anxiety with LSD is mediated is either psychosomatic and/or by serotonin or dopamine action so the use of a beta blocker may be limited, but it could still be of help.

Maybe you want to be wary of trying the combination just yet though, until someone clears up suggestions from this post in the ADD forum:

^ LSD is a vasoconstrictor, I have no idea if it is possible that taking beta blockers could increase such side-effects for example.

2) And no it should not weaken 2C-B actions because the psychedelic effects come from activity at serotonin receptors which beta blockers do not act on AFAIK. But 2C-B is a phenethylamine which is structurally a lot more in the direction of adrenaline, indeed the 2C's act on adrenergic receptors - I think, no source handy - so it is probably best if you don't try a beta blocker with it.

P.S. you can use the edit button if you want to add something to your post. Maybe you knew that already (in which case please don't bump your own thread), thank you! :)

I've been on Tranadate, 300 mgs(? can't remember I'm at work now) twice a day for 12+ years as well as a Calcium Channel blocker and smooth muscle relaxer. I've had no ill effects from consuming mushrooms or other tryptamines with these meds for 2.5 years.

The only precaution I take is to consume my BP meds about 2-3 hours before tripping in case I vomit (trying to retain my BP meds).

It's not acid, but the beta blockers have not caused an issue with me so far.

Tom

[edit I should have added that 12 years ago I was hospitalized with a stratospheric BP of 250/180 yet I was completely asymptomatic]

thank you very much for the reply guys, greatly appreciated...

Nitrous itself may keep the BP normal or lower, but the decrease in oxygen can increase HR and cause arrhythmias and it might especially be relevant to people with a heart condition.

About beta blockers, these are posts from other, old threads - you can find them using the search function, the google-bluelight function on the top left is great - ;) :

P.S. you can use the edit button if you want to add something to your post. Maybe you knew that already (in which case please don't bump your own thread), thank you! :)

yeah I used the search engine but came up with mixed responses from all kinds of posts, hence why I made this thread - just to clear this n that up :) but yeah, thanks for bringing up those old posts and yes, I am very well aware of mixing stimulants with beta-blockers.. thats why I take my ACE inhibitors when I dabble with meth

I've been on Tranadate, 300 mgs(? can't remember I'm at work now) twice a day for 12+ years as well as a Calcium Channel blocker and smooth muscle relaxer. I've had no ill effects from consuming mushrooms or other tryptamines with these meds for 2.5 years.

The only precaution I take is to consume my BP meds about 2-3 hours before tripping in case I vomit (trying to retain my BP meds).

It's not acid, but the beta blockers have not caused an issue with me so far.

Tom

[edit I should have added that 12 years ago I was hospitalized with a stratospheric BP of 250/180 yet I was completely asymptomatic]

and thank you for your input! BP of 250/180, fuck me.. count your lucky stars your still walking