View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

LSD and Benign Fasiculation Syndrome.

S

safetyandacid

Hey, just want to be safe with my drugs use, so I have a question.

I want to take a bit of acid (100ug) with friends coming up. I have plenty of prior experience with the drug, generally with stronger doses. I haven't taken it in about a year. Since then, I've been diagnosed with Benign Fasiculation Syndrome. I know LSD is said to have no tendency to cause any sort of physical harm and is largely non-toxic. Just want to make sure that it won't exacerbate any symptoms or anything of that sort? My symptoms are incredibly mild as is, but there's no reason not to be safe!

I have also used a number of other drugs with no adverse effects after my diagnoses, so nothing so far seems to have exacerbated it.

Thanks!

(psychedelics harm reduction)

While I don't see any reason why LSD would worsen or contribute to your condition in the long-term, I'm not really the one to ask about that.

However, I do know that some people are prone to seizures on hallucinogens (eg someone on this forum with epilepsy just recently mentioned that they consistently experience a seizure during the comedown of any mushroom trip). I think this is more common on mushrooms or other tryptamines than on LSD, which isn't surprising because many tryptamines are very prone to causing muscle twitches during the trip or at the least the come-up.

My uneducated guess would be this: Expect whatever amount of twitching you normally experience as part of the syndrome to be increased by the drug for the duration of the drug effect. Seizures may be possible--although not necessarily likely. This might indicate that you would be "less safe" taking this drug than someone without your condition, but doesn't necessarily indicate that it's unsafe exactly. Probably, at the least, it would be best to make sure you have a sober friend on hand to contact help if necessary for you.

Standard disclaimer: we can't really provide medical advice here since most of us are not medical doctors, and even those of us that are doctors are not *your* doctor.

With a disease as poorly understood as BFS, it's going to be hard for us to tell you what might happen. Given that increased anxiety produces increased symptoms, it would not be surprising if your symptoms worsened during or after a trip given that tripping often causes heightened emotion (even if those emotions are positive, the intensity could easily be enough to provoke some twitching). You say you were recently diagnosed, but have you ever taken psychedelics while you were having symptoms pre-diagnosis? Your own history will probably be the best indicator of what might happen.