View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

LSD addiction or withdrawal?

joee69

Greenlighter
So I've taken LSD 3 times, shrooms once, and DMT once, all over the past 2 years. 10 days ago was my third time taking LSD and it was a fantastic experience for me. I felt I had learned so much about the world, and believed that anything that I thought could happen would happen. And for the next couple days, I still felt like I was tripping a little bit. I still maintained a sense of euphoria and my mind had not gone back to normal (but I was ok with this then). 6 days ago, I was high and thought I might have been having a heart attack. I then thought about how since I learned on LSD that anything could happen, I convinced myself I was having a heart attack only to realize later that it was a panic attack. After this incident, I had been on the verge of a panic attack for about the next 24 hours. I was doing my best to keep positive thoughts or convince myself that what I learned on LSD wasn't true but I couldn't (and still have a hard time doing it). Over the next few days leading up to today I've been going from a state of near normalcy back to a state of anxiety and paranoia (the latter lasting longer), but haven't had a panic attack since. It's really hard to concentrate on schoolwork, and going to class has been making me anxious. Has something permanently changed in my brain that caused me to become addicted and I need to get help? or is this just withdrawal and I just need to wait it out? I'd say overall it's been improving, but I feel like I could fall back into panic easily if I let myself.

I took lsd which was probably 25 nmobe and sometimes my heart would start racing and id start to feel that laws of reality like time and depth and everything where going to collapse and i was going to die. Esp id get it when i would clean the bathroom floor then trigger a flash back or one time my ex said are you ok and i remember a girl sounding like that during my trip and it started making me immediately pour sweat and shake and look pale.

Idk if this helps

Also id start to get weird ritualistic behaviors around nicotine like after using the bathroom i oded on acid in and almost died id have to go smoke or chew tobacco. Or sometimes esp after the shower i would feel terror and run to to tobacco probably because i took a shower right before taking it and actually even just typing this is making it hard to type from my hand shaking and i can feel the lump in my throat as i chew tobacco. I think the compulsive tobacco is from when i was loosing touch with reality convinced i was dying i kept saying get the nicotine out of my pocket put it on my tongue anywhere get it in me.

This is neither addiction or withdrawal. Youll be fine. Just dont do any drugs (including weed and alcohol) for the next few weeks and itll go away. If it gets to the point where its too much to handle go see a doctor

Yeah LSD is not addictive, nor does it produce withdrawal. You're just psyching yourself out, man. Just chill out and don't do any drugs until you feel better (weed will exacerbate anxiety a lot especially right now).

A bit of advice: trying to deny or suppress what you experienced on a trip isn't a good idea. You experienced it, trying to push it down will cause inner turmoil. You said at the beginning of your post that you felt like it was a really positive experience. You should just think about what was positive. It's normal to feel different after LSD, it's a powerfully mind-altering experience. Just let yourself adjust, breathe, relax. You're fine, LSD doesn't cause any physical damage, it doesn't kill brain cells, it doesn't make you clinically insane if you do it 7 times (that was a prevailing urban legend in my day). :)

Yeah LSD is not addictive, nor does it produce withdrawal. You're just psyching yourself out, man. Just chill out and don't do any drugs until you feel better (weed will exacerbate anxiety a lot especially right now).

A bit of advice: trying to deny or suppress what you experienced on a trip isn't a good idea. You experienced it, trying to push it down will cause inner turmoil. You said at the beginning of your post that you felt like it was a really positive experience. You should just think about what was positive. It's normal to feel different after LSD, it's a powerfully mind-altering experience. Just let yourself adjust, breathe, relax. You're fine, LSD doesn't cause any physical damage, it doesn't kill brain cells, it doesn't make you clinically insane if you do it 7 times (that was a prevailing urban legend in my day). :)

Yes. Pre-internet there were so many myths about acid. Another that i recall was that it tilts your brain. Of course, there were very few places to get any information back then other than friends or experienced users.

nothing has changed in your brain's architecture:
you still think about what happened which scared you, same as everyone else, same as yourself in previous times.
and
you get anxious as you feel sensations in your body that are in any way similar to what you felt when you were scared.
(it re-triggers the memory)
to desensitize triggered memory
practice relaxing
then when really comfortable, revisit the troubling memory and sit calmly as you address the sensations that arise.
don't stress yourself.
back out when it is hard.
but if you do it regularly, the trigger will connect as much with your meditative calm as it does with the panic attack.
and if you do it more, the trigger can be used to stimulate calm states.

Pupnik, that sounds like an incredible technique...I'll have to try it myself sometime.
I feel like in this time when everyone is running from their triggers more people should know about ways to face them head-on.

There are apparently pharmacological reasons for psychedelic afterglow, but withdrawals aren't really a thing. Sometimes psychedelics can exacerbate or trigger anxiety symptoms and cannabis can worsen symptoms, and can also have a hand in derealization issues.

It sounds like some anxiety symptoms are left resonating, you'd probably do well applying some relaxing breathing techniques for example and breaking vicious circles as best you can - well don't get worked up about that either but just try to implement it as sort of a precautionary habit or measure.

Psychedelics can make you open to suggestion (the 'anything could happen' feeling for example), which can reinforce panic if you're unlucky. While it's good to be open-minded, it's way too much to believe that anything could happen especially functionally. Don't take on impressive sounding "realizations" that are terribly hard to integrate, let alone whether there is anything to them.

It seems you are sensitive to panicked thoughts, possibly about all the wild things that might threaten you. This is a terrible combination with that kind of open-mindedness and it demonstrates a lack of filtering. Just like trying to discover deeper truths, it's unhelpful to make yourself so open-minded that you basically become gullible. I have experience with that. It's useless if you can't differentiate interesting unusual possibilities from all the nonsense your mind comes up with. If you let all of that nonsense in, you're a long way from home. Skepticism is not the same as (negative sounding) closed-mindedness, it is a means to filter in a healthy way.

Believe me, the mind comes up with a lot of bullshit because so many angles are considered, associations and combinations. Clearly not every association is meaningful. The point being that it's a heavy load to bear and it achieves very little.

Avoid weed for a while. It can make things way too fuzzy.

Great post Solipsis...so true. Am seasoned with the L and can attest to the fact that the thought loop is a pitfall for sure. If you ever want to go any further with it, you'll have learn to disregard those loops.

I encountered a 'death' type of moment on the L, and it was truly memorable. I came to know later it was working me toward and through the ego death concept.

Advice for you is to take a break from it all, as others have said. You will create problems for your self if you push too hard before integrating the last experiences. The Unconscious is a wonderful land to explore, but you should be ready for what it will give.

What Makes LSD Use So Addictive?
What Makes LSD Use So Addictive?
Overdoses do happen. They can occur because a person takes LSD laced with another substance
LSD is a drug with few immediate physical effects. Users may experience short-term changes in body temperature or dilated pupils. They may have trouble sleeping or have changes in appetite. Individuals may find these costs mild or of little concern. They may believe LSD use is relatively harmless. However LSD is not a safe drug. Accidents, injury and death still result from use. LSD can complicate preexisting mental health issues. Impaired judgment and perception lead to accidents and harm to self and others. Overdoses do happen.
Ending LSD Addiction
Make the decision to end addiction. Call our toll-free helpline and learn more about LSD and comprehensive, effective treatment options. We are here 24 hours a day, so there is no wrong time to call and get the information and support you need. Begin your journey to wellness today.

I think actual LSD is almost never laced, why would it be?
I called the toll-free helpline and they couldn't help me to any LSD at all...

Thanks for the responses guys. I've been feeling much better now and am much more able to concentrate on school work and other things. I still sometimes find myself falling into slight panic mode when I start thinking about the trip and the anxiety it caused, but its getting easier to distract my thoughts away from this. Hopefully I can keep improving and it'll go away soon.

Glad you can distract yourself but confronting it could also help eventually, to just prove that it has no real power over you.

Before that, relish in the fact that usually these things just take some time to recover... take good care of yourself, like: avoid weed, get good and long sleep, eat well, exercise, engage in social activity, etc...