• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Low Latent Inhibition Causing Wierd or No High?

Adamkbdx

Greenlighter
I have a disorder called "Low Latent Inhibition". Although you may already be aware of LLI, here is a very brief description. There is much more information to be found on any search engine if you wish to learn more.

Latent Inhibition is the filter which helps your brain discern which information is most deserving of your primary attention or notice. Most people do not notice many sensory or idealistic details in the people and places around them because their latent inhibition filters out all of the irrelevant or inconsequential stimuli that are in their environment. Latent Inhibition is what makes an average person see an object or idea as the sum of its parts. For example, when most people see a car, their natural thought process is to focus on the car as a whole before breaking it down into its separate parts. However, a person who has reduced or low latent inhibition will process all stimuli without any discrimination as to what is important and what is not. Each difference in an object or idea has to be consciously sorted and processed. When i see that same car, I see lug nuts, wheels, panels and glass before seeing the sum of said parts. The upsides are numerous for those with a good memory and a higher IQ. Creativity in the arts, an almost infallible intuition, and superior problem solving skills are a just a few. On the other hand, those with inferior thinking skills and a weaker memory will most likely suffer from constant sensory overload which often leads to psychosis. It generally is not considered a mental illness, per se, but more of a "personality trait" because many people with LLI live happy and normal lives with no unwanted symptoms.

Certain drugs have very unique effects on me and some have no effect at all and I am curious to know if these symptoms are unique to me or if others with LLI have different reactions as well. If you do have, or think that you may have this condition and have had unique experiences with certain substances because this condition please share them here.

It would be interesting for you to describe the unique effects drugs have on you, I'm curious :)

Effects drugs have on me... Okay, weed is probably the worst one. Most would describe the experience as a calming and enjoyable that slows your perception and makes it easy to just sit and focus one specific thing endlessly and so on... when i smoke, i either A) get a bad headache (this is probably just a quality issue though) or B) start experiencing sensory overload after losing the ability register the simplest concepts, i guess this it what it would feel like at birth- experiencing mass stimuli in all five senses but having no idea of to process any of them. it scares the hell outa me to be honest with you.

then there are stimulants... They’re actually much more enjoyable because of the dopamine factor. they don’t really make me speed but they do give me natural feeling of high the way that foreplay and sex do... its weird

benzo's seem have little affect in terms of impairment, and for the most part, tend to actually give me anxiety, hallucinogens do nothing, and opiates are really the only thing that i get the same high as everyone else ...

idk, maybe i'm just wired wrong

I don't think you're wired wrong :) That's really interesting though, I was nor familiar with LLI. thanks for sharing.

This is really interesting, and again thank you for sharing your experience! :)

I have heard of it but never met anyone with it. The wikipedia page mentions that there is some evidence that cannabis may lower someone's latent inhibition, so if that is the case then it's no wonder you found it pretty intense.

This thread isn't the usual sort of thing we handle in BDD but not too sure where else to send it so shall leave it here and open and have a ponder (or let another mod decide in the meantime, hehe)

Psychedelics do nothing to you!? Now thats interesting as that class of drugs has the most potential for getting a person messed right up. I never heard of LLI but what you posted kind of reminded me of LSD. *daydreams

Which ones have you tried and how many times?

I'm going to move this over to Other Drugs as its a bit more advanced that Basic Drug Discussion's scope is.

OP, feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

-NT

I am not sure if I have the condition of LLI or not. But when I am under the influence of weed, I can definitely feel in the increase in the amount of incoming stimuli. When my senses pick up a information from my surroundings, anything and everything I know about that piece of information just rush through my thoughts. The more weed I take, the less I can control my thoughts. Of course, maybe that is what weed feels like, but most people say they have a "calming" sensation, although I do feel unresponsive under the influence, it is because my mind is constantly being overwhelmed by the stream of incoming information. I want to know if someone else feels the same way.

I am not sure if I have the condition of LLI or not. But when I am under the influence of weed, I can definitely feel in the increase in the amount of incoming stimuli. When my senses pick up a information from my surroundings, anything and everything I know about that piece of information just rush through my thoughts. The more weed I take, the less I can control my thoughts. Of course, maybe that is what weed feels like, but most people say they have a "calming" sensation, although I do feel unresponsive under the influence, it is because my mind is constantly being overwhelmed by the stream of incoming information. I want to know if someone else feels the same way.
Haha 10 years later im here to say I feel excatly the same under weed. It's very tiring to smoke since it makes my brain go into overdrive mode.