• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Low Doses of THC (Cannabis) Can Halt Brain Damage, Study Suggests

^but there's no blood in the neural matter of the brain: only CSF. That's what the blood brain barrier does: it it keeps blood cells out of nerve tissue. The brain does have its own immune cells, microglia, but these aren't white blood cells.

Anyway this is all moot, as I just read on Wikipedia that HIV attacks microglia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hiv#Tropism

Now, MY OPINION - Marijuana is pretty damn addictive substance IMO. I'm not quite sure if it's because of additives added by cartels that got me hooked, (like tobacco companies do, but I can honestly say weed has been one of the most addictive drugs I've ever done. The psychological addiction was on par with hydrocodone 10/325's (aka Norco) for me. The withdrawals I got after ceasing use of daily cannabis were horrible. I can honestly say I was hooked the first time I smoked Mexican buds at age 12. I wanted to be high and stay high 24/7.

Weed was what got me into harder drugs, but IMO that's because once I realized I was lied to about weed I concluded perhaps I was lied to about other drugs.

Not to mention I found out my Adderall prescription was a mixture of amphetamine salts, how my "ADD medication" was prescription-only, had to see a Psychiatrist monthly for it, and it was completely 100% legal AND socially acceptable for little kids to take it. My Indian psychiatrist actually started me on Adderall XR when I had health insurance and when it was still patented by Shire so it costed like $200 a month but the co-pay was like $20 or something. Why not ritalin or concerta i.e. methylphenidate? To this day I've never even tried methylphenidate. Nope, only the highly addictive and sought after Adderall. I used to take 40 mg's a day in high school. A 30 XR cap and a blue 10 IR generic at lunch time for the mid-day crash.

It's funny because I really started smoking weed daily to deal with adderall comedowns during adolescence. The withdrawls offset amphetamine withdrawals perfectly. Weed withdrawals consist of (for me) insomnia, loss of appetite, restlessness/irratibility etc. Amphetamine withdrawals are increased appetite, chronic fatigue in addition to constipation.

When I stopped smoking weed I had trouble sleeping more than 4 hours a night for a whole week! WTF? sleep at 12AM, up at 4, for a whole week! So I'm not arguing weed has no side effects. I'm just saying it clearly has medicinal value, despite the criticism. Especially when treating psychological disorders such as: depression, bipolar, anorexia and more. It certainly helped me eat on adderall.

are you serious? lol you call that a withdrawal? yes it is one but shit, it's about as easy as it gets. Amphetamines are insanely addictive compared to cannabis. I don't even like stimulants yet am addicted to them. I don't like cannabis anymore, so i just don't smoke it.

Ritalin is shit anyway lol if you actually have ADD/ADHD, amphetamines are superior in every way possible, even if it destroys your brain and you end up psychotic, they fucking work, well. MPH is like drinking too much coffee. How did you not realize that adderall was a mix of amphetamine salts? do you not research what a Dr prescribes before you take it?

i don't think anyone will argue that cannabis has no medicinal value (except ignorant assholes), it most certainly does, for so many things too. It's hardly addictive though and hardly causes a dependence. I say this after quitting 2 weeks ago just because it wasn't doing anything for me, didn't notice a single thing. I've quit many times before and as long as i wanted to quit, i had zero withdrawal symptoms. When i was forced to quit i'd complain about sleep and my stomach and irritability and night sweats, they are legitimate withdrawal effects but are far less pronounced when you don't care whether you smoke cannabis or not.

even if it did cause cancer, it still has medicinal uses that cannot be denied. And the withdrawal/dependence doesn't make a difference in terms of how good of a medicine it is, look at opiates, fucking great medicinal drugs, despite being liable to addiction/dependence and a severe withdrawal, not to mention many other side effects.

THC is not cannabis, THC is well studied and is known to cause severe anxiety, among many other negative effects. It's those other beautiful cannabinoids that make cannabis a great medicine, the THC part helps but alone, it's garbage for treating many illnesses.

are you serious? lol you call that a withdrawal? yes it is one but shit, it's about as easy as it gets. Amphetamines are insanely addictive compared to cannabis. I don't even like stimulants yet am addicted to them. I don't like cannabis anymore, so i just don't smoke it.
It's not too cool to go out of your way to knock people's experiences, but many people don't understand this, so I should explain it.
The way cannabis affects you may be very different than the way it affects another person.
The withdrawals you get could be one-tenth of those I experience.
For, indeed, I have dealt with a frustrating and powerful addiction to cannabis for more than 2 decades.
I can easily relate to what etarded said about this.
The concept of bioindividuality is recently taking off in medicine, so people need to realize that generalizations (e.g. about drugs) simply don't apply to all individuals.
The addicting qualities of cannabis have been documented, so it is not just etarded and me who experience this.
But think about it - some people would freak out if they couldn't gamble for a few days. Different people get terribly addicted to different things.
Most people get addicted to something.
So it is no surprise that a psychoactive drug that probably triggers serotonin release would be very addictive for at least some people.

THC is not cannabis, THC is well studied and is known to cause severe anxiety, among many other negative effects. It's those other beautiful cannabinoids that make cannabis a great medicine, the THC part helps but alone, it's garbage for treating many illnesses.
This is a good point that I neglected to include earlier.
Whether smoking cannabis results in essentially having THC applied to one's brain is a big question. And, if it does, maybe CBDs help prevent damage.

So it is no surprise that a psychoactive drug that probably triggers serotonin release would be very addictive for at least some people.

Oops.
Cannabinoids have been found to inhibit activation of serotonin receptors which explains the antiemetic effects.

Fan, P. (1995). Cannabinoid agonists inhibit the activation of 5-HT3 receptors in rat nodose ganglion neurons. Journal of Neurophysiology, 73(2), 907-910.

Ritalin is shit anyway lol if you actually have ADD/ADHD, amphetamines are superior in every way possible, even if it destroys your brain and you end up psychotic, they fucking work, well. MPH is like drinking too much coffee. How did you not realize that adderall was a mix of amphetamine salts? do you not research what a Dr prescribes before you take it?
You are narrow-minded if you believe everyone reacts the same way to all drugs. I like amphetamines, opiates, and weed, but I crave weed most. You don't like weed so you don't crave it.
i don't think anyone will argue that cannabis has no medicinal value (except ignorant assholes), it most certainly does, for so many things too.
agreed.

It's hardly addictive though and hardly causes a dependence. I say this after quitting 2 weeks ago just because it wasn't doing anything for me, didn't notice a single thing. I've quit many times before and as long as i wanted to quit, i had zero withdrawal symptoms. When i was forced to quit i'd complain about sleep and my stomach and irritability and night sweats, they are legitimate withdrawal effects but are far less pronounced when you don't care whether you smoke cannabis or not.
minus night sweats and diarrhea cannabis withdrawal was actually similar to opiate.

OP has (Cannabis) in the title.

You are narrow-minded if you believe everyone reacts the same way to all drugs. I like amphetamines, opiates, and weed, but I crave weed most. You don't like weed so you don't crave it.
agreed.

minus night sweats and diarrhea cannabis withdrawal was actually similar to opiate.

OP has (Cannabis) in the title.

which implies that THC = Cannabis but it does not. I'm not denying that you guys have withdrawal symptoms or anything; i even mention in my post that i experienced them as well! I too found it impossible to quit but something changed in myself and now i can quit no problem.

yes every individual is different (not entirely different though) but there has to be some sort of reason why some people suffer so badly and why I as well did at one point and no longer do.

what is it about cannabis that makes it addictive? addictive being defined by continuous use despite negative consequences. I think once you face those negative consequences it's pretty simple to stop smoking cannabis as you'll feel better. Hardly being narrow minded here, just stating my own opinion based on experience.

If you meant to say cannabis causes a dependence and not so much an addiction, then we're good on this but if your life is severely impacted by cannabis use, i have to wonder what the hell is going on that keeps you smoking despite negative consequences? I've seen people like this too, guy comes over uses my vape and gets so blasted that he doesn't talk, becomes noticeably anxious, uncomfortable and basically has to leave, well shit why did you take such a huge hit off my vape when it's potent weed? And he'd probably do it again and again, that's definitely addiction but why do people bother?

If there are no negative consequences then you sir do not have an addiction but a dependence. I doubt you would crave weed if it had negative effects on your life like it does to mine. Or perhaps you will for a little while but it'll go away more quickly than opiate cravings, which even after 8 months or so now i still have.

Nowhere did I state that all people respond to drugs the same, i even implied that over time some people may respond to the same drug differently themselves.

You ever suck some dick for marijuana? lol

i'm not knocking anyone's experience, but a cannabis withdrawal for 3-7 days is pretty light in comparison to a methadone withdrawal that lasts at least a month followed by paws for several months, or a benzo withdrawal that can take over a year to recover from.

so for you two, what is it about marijuana that is addicting? physiologically, what is happening in your brain that is not happening in mine? what used to happen in my brain when i found similar withdrawal effects? what changed? And let's stick with the distinction between addiction/dependence for the sake of clarity.

Cannabis will release dopamine so there's one factor for you guys. As does gambling, sex, amphetamines but to what degree is the big question and is that enough to cause a dependence the same as an opiate user (opiates also releasing dopamine among doing other things). I find amphetamines incredibly addicting, they fuck with my life and mental stability yet i just cannot stop taking them because of the enhancement of creativity, productivity, focus and many other things.

i just see too many people who are 'addicted' to weed, sure maybe you have a dependence and enjoy it whatever, i'm dependent on chocolate milk but it does not affect my life negatively and if it did, then i clearly have some other issues. My chocolate milk withdrawals consists of dry mouth, irritability, and cravings.

My dad is supposedly 'addicted' to cannabis as well but he's really just dependent on it.

Last edited:
Ugh I had this longish response and it got deleted, oh well.

Slim, you posted a study older than mine, you realize. More importantly what I was gonna say is that its simply more complicated than that. For instance, see this study http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/17508987/. Serotonin levels, regulated by several mechanisms, are increased and decreased in the brain following THC/marijuana in regards to various areas and subtypes.

I see a hell of a lot of weed lovers on this site. No surprise that I get flamed.
http://www.jneurosci.org/content/18/14/5322.short

That study makes sense of this one
http://www.jstor.org/discover/10.2307/2676359?uid=3739832&uid=2&uid=4&uid=3739256&sid=21102368097047

Granted, they did say weak.

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/...sCustomisedMessage=&userIsAuthenticated=false and a disagreement, though catch the important reservation...probably more reliable. So is this one though http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1046/j.1360-0443.2003.00437.x/abstract?deniedAccessCustomisedMessage=&userIsAuthenticated=false

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0306460311003819

Which causes depression, or outright suicidal behavior.
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0892036210001571 At the very least its bad until your brain is fully developed around age 25.

Want another? http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s10902-013-9423-1

If you meant to say cannabis causes a dependence and not so much an addiction, then we're good on this but if your life is severely impacted by cannabis use, i have to wonder what the hell is going on that keeps you smoking despite negative consequences? I've seen people like this too, guy comes over uses my vape and gets so blasted that he doesn't talk, becomes noticeably anxious, uncomfortable and basically has to leave, well shit why did you take such a huge hit off my vape when it's potent weed? And he'd probably do it again and again, that's definitely addiction but why do people bother?

If there are no negative consequences then you sir do not have an addiction but a dependence. I doubt you would crave weed if it had negative effects on your life like it does to mine. Or perhaps you will for a little while but it'll go away more quickly than opiate cravings, which even after 8 months or so now i still have.

Nowhere did I state that all people respond to drugs the same, i even implied that over time some people may respond to the same drug differently themselves.
I'd say spending more money than you can afford is a negative consequence I've suffered. Usually the first time I smoke after a break I freak out. I had a full 7-day withdrawal from weed-4 hours sleep each night which put me 28 hours of sleep for a week with 56 recommended, after stopping daily regular use cold turkey. on day 7 I took one toke and slept 9 hours! It was so bad on day 6 I probably slept more like 2. I slept better after stopping 12-16x daily hydrocodone/aceteminophen 10/325 tbh. Yeah I was a bit sweaty and only I slept about 6 hours for 3 days and then 8-9 after.

You ever suck some dick for marijuana? lol
Never sucked a dick for anything-money, food, or any drugs, xanax, weed, amphetamine, valium, opiates, or even alcohol. I was homeless and never once considered suckin a dick. I have too much pride to do something so degrading. I'd rather starve to death or risk stealing some food or begging if i'm that desperate. Sexual favors for ANY drugs or FOOD for that matter is where I draw the line (unless it's a hot girl that likes me then let's go baby ;) ) Lol