• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Lost insurance, Vyvanse too $$$, looking for alternative?

Bell55

Greenlighter
So I finally find a perfectly therapeutic dose of Vyvanse. At 50mg, my symptoms were addressed, no unpleasant side effects. Lost my insurance, can't afford it any longer.

Originally asked my primary care dr. For dexedrine, he said "no, that's for pediatric adhd" and he put me on Aderall XR 25mg. Felt like I was crawling out of my skin. I'd be fine until something made me slightly anxious/nervous and then I would suddenly have a resting HR of 151bpm. Blech!

I obviously need to try something else, I felt like dexedrine was the natural choice and am confused why Dr. said "no". Any suggestions as to what to try from here?

Thank you all so much!

Did you bargain? It's downfall is, if your the wrong type, it's abuseable. Generic Dexedrine/dextroamphetamine is a molucule off methamphetamine, from what I heard. He's full of shit though, It's silky smooth. Whatever you do, stick with real, classical amphetamines. No Ritalin, etc. Also bargain down to a reasonable dose, so your not iced out. Last thing, as a suggestion, BP medicine with the Adderall XR would help. Clonazepam is a long acting benzodiazepine, commonly prescribed with a lot off ADD amps. If you like to persue benzodiazepines, long acting only. Dig up some paperwork proving your cause. Always helps. As always, YMMV.

Last edited:
I really appreciate you taking the time to respond.

Thankfully, addiction/abuse isn't a personal struggle I've had to go through, so while "abusability" isn't among my list of concerns, maybe it is among his....

Are the extended versions of dexedrine abusable? Maybe that would help his concerns? I feel like its the levoamphetamine component of Aderall that isn't working well for me, is that possible?

I certainly don't want him to feel like I'm trying to "out-physician" him, or say something that doesn't make any sense...

I spent the month of February unmedicated, got a real good picture of what that looks like and it's not viable for my life at this time. If I had to choose between Aderall and nothing, I definitely pick Aderall. But it would be beautiful to not have to add extra meds in order to take it if there is a single medication that would get me there. Also, I definitely don't want fog, if I end up having to combine Aderall with something else, are benzos better than beta-bockers?

It is the l amp part that is the bullshit. The d-amp is smooth(ER) subjective. It's like one of the oldest amps used. Anything can get out of hand. Yes. Benzodiazepines are the safest. You try not to make a heavy habit out of the two, but yes, safest. Dex is not smooth abused. IMO. Used correctly, The cleanest. Subjective.

Awesome. Thanks again. Do you know what would be a good dex-amp dose to get me close to where I was with the vyvanse 50mg?

15mg. I don't know how low they go. If they go 10 mg, that would work.

I don't know how receptive your doc will be but try reasoning with him or her why you need it due to cost as well as effectiveness. If you have a good relationship with doc maybe they will be willing to cut you some slack on why you need the d-amp due to out of pocket cost and effectiveness.