Losing the Ability to Communiate Normally

ewcopp22

Bluelighter
Not sure if this is the right place to ask this so I apologize if it's the wrong forum, but lately I've been noticing my communication skills are slipping. I would say I am a daily user but I don't smoke it (meth) I usually just kind of treat it like adderall and take a couple capsules a day to help me stay alert and focus. I live alone, and don't have a ton of friends I can admit. So naturally I don't get to practice socializing on a daily basis unless it's online like this or in another type of chat platform. I work from home so zoom calls don't really help but even on those I am starting to mess up with my communication. The main things that are going on is that I try to say what I need to say extremely fast, in my head it makes perfect sense coming out but not so much to others. Along with this is I tend to lose the ability to find the correct words to say even though I'm thinking exactly what they are. So really after a few questions or lines of conversation people tend to end it because they can't grasp what Im trying to relay. I have tried to just slow things down and speak slow, but when I do this in my head it literally sounds like I am talking to a 5 year old and so I speed up thinking I am making them feel dumb for going too slow. Or when I get on a point I'm trying to make there is just no slowing me down. I want to be able to socialize an meet new people but this issue is causing me to avoid it so even though I don't want to isolate, I get anxious and end up doing so anyway.

My question I suppose is how normal is this, or should I be worried about some kind of mental decline? I'm young 30's for reference. Or is this just a combination of my anxiety, which I have had my whole life, my work and living situation, maybe a little to do with use and perhaps some hangover from the pandemic just caused me to forget essentially? I was a big partier and social butterfly just 4 years ago so this is very frustrating for me because I want to go talk and socialize but I can't do it right and sick of driving people away. Also side note: alcohol does help me loosen up but lets just say my fast speech doesnt work well with slurred speech too...

Honestly - I think the issue with the fast talking, trouble finding words, etc. is probably due to taking meth and having anxiety issue on top of it and then being in situational or some other kind of anxiety.

The human body is surprisingly resilient. Personally, I don’t think it’s likely that you’ve caused some sort of serious brain damage to where your speech and language centers are significantly/permanently effected.

As you go down the road, maybe you could consider attempting to alter some of the variables in your life to see if it helps.

Alright, thank you. Guess my best bet would probably be to cut back for a bit and see if anything changes in those situations, as well as allowing myself to be out there more socially.

I think it is the meth that is exacerbating some underlying social anxiety or something, which in turn is exacerbated by the isolation.

Similar situation here... I work remote and I moved somewhere new where I didn't know anybody and there aren't a lot of people anyway. After a couple of years I completely forgot how to relate to people.

I wasn't doing meth but at the time was abusing Adderall and Coke fairly regularly.

One day I went out for a hike to try to come down off of a coke binge, ran into somebody who I had met recently and who had really liked me, and wanted to have a conversation. I was so hyper aware of my speech and didn't want to come off as a tweaker but apparently that made me talk fast and in short phrases, and she kind of mirrored that pattern back to me and that's how I noticed how odd I came off.

That was the day I realized I had to stop taking stimulants if I ever want to not be alone.

Took about 3 weeks stimulant free before I felt like To but still didn't know what to say.

Very fortunately I had some cousins who recognized that was in rough shape and invited me to come down for a visit, introduce me to some people and gave me the opportunity to practice talking to people again. That was the key, the trial and error, and eventually learned how to have a normal conversation again.

Occasionally I'll do coke thinking it's going to be different this time and then it immediately reminds me of why I need to stay away.

Luckily they are Zoom calls, I use to drink to much and my communication skills suffered; but at least you don't have to worry about someone trying to punch you through a computer screen

Sounds like the meth is the issue OP

You say you take a couple of capsules but you don;t state the dose?

Meth is a terrible drug for people with anxiety mate - you mention cutting down and I think that's gotta be the way forward. How would quitting altogether sound to you? Meth is such an unsustainable drug

It’s definitely the meth. And I know people notice. Trust me. I would cut back and or eliminate, mate, you don’t want to make things worse!

Not sure if this is the right place to ask this so I apologize if it's the wrong forum, but lately I've been noticing my communication skills are slipping. I would say I am a daily user but I don't smoke it (meth) I usually just kind of treat it like adderall and take a couple capsules a day to help me stay alert and focus. I live alone, and don't have a ton of friends I can admit. So naturally I don't get to practice socializing on a daily basis unless it's online like this or in another type of chat platform. I work from home so zoom calls don't really help but even on those I am starting to mess up with my communication. The main things that are going on is that I try to say what I need to say extremely fast, in my head it makes perfect sense coming out but not so much to others. Along with this is I tend to lose the ability to find the correct words to say even though I'm thinking exactly what they are. So really after a few questions or lines of conversation people tend to end it because they can't grasp what Im trying to relay. I have tried to just slow things down and speak slow, but when I do this in my head it literally sounds like I am talking to a 5 year old and so I speed up thinking I am making them feel dumb for going too slow. Or when I get on a point I'm trying to make there is just no slowing me down. I want to be able to socialize an meet new people but this issue is causing me to avoid it so even though I don't want to isolate, I get anxious and end up doing so anyway.

My question I suppose is how normal is this, or should I be worried about some kind of mental decline? I'm young 30's for reference. Or is this just a combination of my anxiety, which I have had my whole life, my work and living situation, maybe a little to do with use and perhaps some hangover from the pandemic just caused me to forget essentially? I was a big partier and social butterfly just 4 years ago so this is very frustrating for me because I want to go talk and socialize but I can't do it right and sick of driving people away. Also side note: alcohol does help me loosen up but lets just say my fast speech doesnt work well with slurred speech too...
Hi I think I'm going through the same shit the words that come out of my mouth sound somewhat of a complete idiot my coping skills are bad I don't explain myself like I should and time flies by without me doing any thing productive because I'm too focused on the small shit