• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Losing effects of Adderall and Ritalin. Gaining tolerance?

g_dan1

Bluelighter
Hi. First time I tried ADHD medications was 2 years ago. Since then I have been using it about once a month for intense studying and when i have a very heavy work load. However, this year I've been using them a lot more. Since the beginning of my college year I've been taking them a few times a month, sometimes several days in a row. I've been really trying to take is as rarely as I can, but this year I just can't deal with my overwhelming amount of work and studying.

At first when I started i was taking 15-20mg of Adderall and about 20-30mg of Ritalin. I know they are very small doses but they worked great for me. A pronounced "robot" effect, with some euphoria and great concentration.

During the last 2 months my dose increased to 30-40mg Adderall and about 50mg ritalin. I also discovered snorting and I do it occasionally to aid my oral dose. I try to take breaks for at least 1-2 weeks to keep the tolerance down as much as possible. I also started vaping high amounts of nicotine while on it. (I only find nicotine enjoyable when its combined with something)

Last time I took adderall was 2-3 weeks ago. during those 3 weeks i used ritalin a few times. Today I took 10mg in the morning before classes to stay awake, because I only got 4- 5 hours of sleep. When I came home I took 2 tums and 30 mins after took 30mg adderall. an hour later I took 10mg more and now (2.5 hours after the first dose) I took 15mg Ritalin. I just realized that Adderall doesn't work as good anymore... My concentration is increased, but I'm not getting as much excitement and euphoria from studying as I expected. This is very disappointing because I expected much stronger effects after taking a 3 week break from Adderall.

Thank you to all who took time to read this, and I would really appreciate if you guys can answer some of my questions:

1) Am i building up more and more tolerance to ADHD stimulants despite the tolerance breaks?

2) Does vaping pure nicotine regularly affect my tolerance and effects of Adderall and Ritalin?

3) How would I prevent any further build up of tolerance at this point? I really need it for exams next week and I will be using it about every other day. After that I'm taking 3-4 week break. Is that enough?

4) How long should tolerance breaks be? Personal experiences are very welcome.

5) How do I keep the "robot" feel and mild euphoria that those stimulants give me?

6) For those who use Adderall and Ritalin for studying, what doses do you take?

I am 6 feet tall, 155lbs.

TL; DR: Been using Adderall and Ritalin osasionally to study for 2 years. In the last 7 month started using more often and increased my dose. Started vaping a month ago. Today I realized that I'm losing the euphoria and the "robot" feel of Adderall. How do I bring that back and prevent any further increase tolerance as much as possible?

Thank you!

UPDATE: after taking 15 mg Ritalin after 45mg Adderall, I am actually getting this "robot" feel :D Maybe its just Ritalin making me more robotic, unlike Adderall which feels more natural and makes me quite social too. Just sucks that I need higher doses now :(

PS. I just realized that I wrote this long and organized post with great ease! So yea it still does work! ay! :D

Probably tolerance. From what I know, nicotine would not effect it either. I've found the same difficulty as well. I use to orally take 15-20 mg of adderall to get the work done, and an extra 15 mg to get the euphoria. Obviously chasing euphoria is a red flag if you keep trying higher doses just to get it, so I try to limit myself with amphetamine even though it's amazing.. :p but yea now just to get the robotic feelings i'd have to snort 20-25 mg, and for a high snort 35-40 mg to get moderate euphoria. I've found snorting is the best way because it hits faster and stronger. Stay safe my friend, it sounds like you are smart enough to know when to limit yourself though. Good luck in your adventures

Also I used to take 2-3 xR's of addy a day for a week or so (obviously terrible for me) but the crashes are sooo much worse than Ritalin. With adderall I would have headaches, terrible anxiety, heart burn, fidgety-ness, random spikes of depression/ mood swings in general. Ritalin is much smoother to come down off of, those side effects I listed were definitely a lot more calmer when I was on ritalin

Probably tolerance. From what I know, nicotine would not effect it either. I've found the same difficulty as well. I use to orally take 15-20 mg of adderall to get the work done, and an extra 15 mg to get the euphoria. Obviously chasing euphoria is a red flag if you keep trying higher doses just to get it, so I try to limit myself with amphetamine even though it's amazing.. :p but yea now just to get the robotic feelings i'd have to snort 20-25 mg, and for a high snort 35-40 mg to get moderate euphoria. I've found snorting is the best way because it hits faster and stronger. Stay safe my friend, it sounds like you are smart enough to know when to limit yourself though. Good luck in your adventures

Thanks for your reply!
Although I agree with you that snorting works way better, it really fucks up my nose :/ I ALWAYS regret it the next day when my nose is fully stuffed and running 24/7. Every time I take those stimulants I have a compulsion to snort and I have to force myself not to because of the nasty effect it has on my nose.

Comedown is not really an issue for me cause I have plenty of benzos to fully stop it and go to sleep.

As for euphoria, I still get it after 2 years. Maybe its cuz i know how to keep my use to minimum and never take it just to get high. Or maybe I have a different definition of euphoria. For me its simply feeling the joy and excitement from doing boring, difficult tasks and feeling like ur a robot

Last edited:
Hi there,

I promise to give you the most healthy, medically sound advice possible. I'm not an apprentice - I'm in the profession. But its up to you to take it or ignore it.

I've heard what your doing, mixing stimulants, snorting, etc. etc. We all know thats a bad idea. What flagged me, however, is your comment: "I'm not getting as much excitement and euphoria from studying........"

Realize that you are not SUPPOSED to be getting euphoric and excited from the stimulant medication. It is supposed to improve your concentration and STM., your organization, and planning. If you are escalating dosages for euphoria, you're chasing down some bad road, and things will get worse. It's your option to trust me on this.

My advice: go back to the prescribed dosage of ONE of the stimulant meds. Take it as prescribed. Do you want a buzz? Go for a 45 minute jog until your endorphins kick in. Try to NEVER go up on the stimulant meds, but go down, and go down slowly, until you are taking the lowest possible dose. You will be doing your cardiovascular system, your nervous system, and your academic functioning a great service.

It's the advice I would give anyone that I care about, and it's sound.

Your call Amigos

I use adderal for work twice a week max 20-30 mgs extended release I sometimes get euphoria sometimes not , but what I need is the energy to drive long hours

Im way too intoxicated to elaborate but but there is overwhelming evidence that nicotine pretreatment sensitizes rat to amphetamine both behaviorally ie locomotion and dopamine in the ventral striatum and nicotine and amphetamine produce both sensitize eachother to yhe reinforcing and changes associated with mood than either alone. And that muscarinic and nicotinic acetylcholine receptors esp nacha2b4 rceptors in dopamine release in reward centers.