Empathogenic
    Drugs

Welcome Guest!
  • MDMA Moderators:

looking for information on MDMA withdrawal

sarajenni88

Bluelighter
Hello all!!!
I am writing a short story in which a regular user (dailyish) of MDMA is with held from use for 3 or 4 days. I've researched a bit but I'm wondering about withdrawal from MDMA. I've never used it and while I have plenty experience with opiate w/d I am clueless when it comes to this. Is it all mental? What types of thoughts go thru ur head? Are there really any psychiatric issues that arise from use? Feel free to share ur story...the more I get into ur head, the more I can get into my characters head.
Ty very much. : )

i don't have experience with MDMA but take a look at that 'MDMA abuse recovery success stories' thread and you'll get a picture of, you know, MDMA abuse recovery

but i think opiates are of a totally different nature than MDMA... i mean opiates are just so and so good you just fiend for them and then bam, you're doing them every day all day, while MDMA is more like, after a hard roll i'd assume you're feeling like shit you just want to sleep and wake up 3 days later. you know, while opiate abuse is usually you doing them all day every day i assume rolling 2 days straight or rolling every weekend for some months could be already considered MDMA abuse... i don't think your charachter would be experiencing withdrawals due to physical addiction, it would be much more like a huge depression due to damage (it is said MDMA is neurotoxic) on serotonin shit and stuff, idk, judging by what i have read here...

read that thread and read about MDMA and you should get a picture of it...

may be even try MDMA, cmon man, then you'll be talking about first hand experience... no need to abuse it though

also, i'm not sure if i should be talking as i'm not that experienced, i'm just telling you what i read here on this forum... i'm an occasional opiate user and i had one mild/lame untested MDMA experience once... other members with experience with MDMA will probably be able to tell you better... peace!

Last edited:
^^^^^^ty. Because I'm honestly finding so little negative about MDMA I may not use it in my book. Cuz shit what is a good story without character suffering. Lol. U know I've always wanted to try it but being that I'm a stay at home mom (albeit a young one) I feel as tho my time might of pasted. I've got enough problems with opiods...but ty for pointing me in the right direction. Appreciate it

Well tbh, MDMA isn't addictive the way standard stimulants and downers are. Firstly, using MDMA daily is unlikely, bordering on impossible really. The reason for that is because you can't keep getting consistent effects from it and theoretically, daily use would have you develop complete tolerance within a very short amount of time(i'd say that by the 4th or 5th consecutive day one would get absolutely no effects from it whatsoever, this tolerance is also documented in Pihkal if i'm not mistaken). MDMA acts like a psychedelic more than anything really in the sense that once or twice a week is the most a person can use it and still get the desired effects. The difference is that the side effects associated with a weekly MDMA habit are typically much worse than those associated with a weekly psychedelic habit.

If you want to make your story sound more realistic, you could have your character stop a weekly MDMA habit. Say, he uses MDMA regularly Saturay and Sunday and is forced to stop after doing that for a few months. In that case a person won't experience withdrawals in the common sense of the word, because there's no physical addiction or strong craving associated with MDMA use.

What can happen though is that the person would go through a period of intense side effects and cognitive recovery which will include some/all of the following symptoms: depression, moderate to severe anxiety and dysphoria, short term memory and working memory impairments, sleeping problems(most commonly people suffer from sleep paralysis and vivid nightmares), possible agoraphobia and/or social anxiety, apathy/anhedonia, brain zaps and vertigos, a noticeable decline in verbal skills(forgetting words, difficulty in coherently articulating an idea) and lastly, moderate to severe concentration problems.

If you want to make a story about MDMA problems, I'd steer away from withdrawals, because it doesn't really work like that. You could make a story about someone who abuses MDMA and then experiences a long-term comedown, but this is not like addiction. Then again, I don't really promote bad stories about MDMA, it gets an over-exaggerated amount of bad press as it is.

^^^^^^^ wow thank u for some great information. I've decided to turn the character to an alcoholic because the character needs to go thru w/ds that work stop him from being able to not function. I'm appreciative because no one would be able to publish and swallow a scenario where an MDMA user
Is unable to function.
Ty

;),,

If you want to make a story about MDMA problems, I'd steer away from withdrawals, because it doesn't really work like that. You could make a story about someone who abuses MDMA and then experiences a long-term comedown, but this is not like addiction. Then again, I don't really promote bad stories about MDMA, it gets an over-exaggerated amount of bad press as it is.
Its so.not a story condemning drug use. I just need to be able to correctly convey an addicts w/d. They last thing I want to propetchate is the anti drug.propaganda... which is why I decided to change my characters addiction from X,to alcohol so that I can rleastically DT. If.fact in my novel the addicts become the heros.

Why dont do it with opiate w/d? You mentioned you got some experiences with them. I guess you could write a way more intimidating story, if you have some real live experience that could be the baseline.

yeah, mdma (along with psychedelics) is probably the most inappropriate drug for such a scenario. if you do it on as little as 2 consecutive days (usually 3, but up to 4 for some people), then the pleasant effects simply disappear. there's only so much serotonin available for release and replenishing the stores need some time.

Why dont do it with opiate w/d? You mentioned you got some experiences with them. I guess you could write a way more intimidating story, if you have some real live experience that could be the baseline.
Yes I am incorporating that into my books. There are several addicts/alcoholics holding a huge role in the book. Yes...I didn't have to do much research on the opiate w/d aspect. Lol. I just don't want the reader to be aware of this by seeing the intense description and development of the opiate addicts and therefore making it obvious how little the writer understands about the other addictions. So I took out the MDMA character because after reading everyone's opinions I realize that it wouldn't quite fit. But that's y I
psted and I'm thankful for everyone's help!!!!

^ MDMA, LSD and other psychedelics are often used in addiction therapy.. look into ibogaine, I'm sure that would work well into the story just from what I've heard here